Why become a member? ×

Prep for audition/first meet

lowlandtrees

Ok. I know all the stuff about relax, be yourself and enjoy but other than these, what prep would you do prior to auditioning for a new band? It is an originals only set and they have sent a song that I will learn but other than that....just do the usual? Been years/decades since I auditioned and they appear pretty good technically and I feel a bit out of my depth. 

Make sure all your gear is working, no iffy leads/flat batteries etc. Pack your gear so that when you unpack it to set up it`s in the order of setting it all up - this conveys an image of being focused and reliable. Be early, if the journey should take 30mins allow for 45. Lastly make sure you`re well hydrated.

• Like 6

If they plan to try you on more than one of their originals, don't be shy about asking them for charts. If they haven't even bothered to write out the chords ("oh, this one is really simple, you'll pick it up in no time"), then invite the guitarist(s) to play through the song while you quickly chart it for yourself on the pad you remembered to take with you to the audition.

You'll probably need to borrow a pencil, mind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Don't underestimate the importance of correct nutrition when it comes to putting in a top notch musical performance.

A dozen pickled eggs washed down with three pints of guiness is my personal recipe for musical success, but don't forget the cork - unfortunately being held in the Hague on charges of illegal use of biological weapons on civilians is somewhat hampering my availability for gigs at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

Please don't take this the wrong way as clearly I don't know you, but personal hygiene. As well as having all the musical side of it covered be clean, deodorised and have fresh breath. You'd be amazed at the amount of stinkers in this business. :)

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Doesn't hurt to look the part either. 

I'm not suggesting you turn up in a full stage costume or anything weird but if they're playing 80s hair metal for example then turning up in a Lonsdale track suit with a baseball cap worn sideways might not exactly give the impression that you'll fit in. 

• Like 1

My suggestion is outside the music...

If you don't know the other band members, ask to meet up outside the rehearsal room to see if you all get on.

IMO, getting on with future band mates is just as important as the music.

Get to know the tune, see if you can add anything to the tune, fills, runs, etc. Be yourself, have confidence in your abilities, relax and enjoy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ahpook said:

I'd advise against being on mushrooms - the bus journey home might be a bit OTT.

Christ, tell me about it. I ended up in Narnia and was late for work the next day.

To the OP... do you have access to any more of their songs? I'd learn more than one song. Last two bands I auditioned for, I found gigs/songs on YouTube and learnt as much of their sets as I could. This is more effort of course, but how badly do you want the gig? It certainly makes you stand out...

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Skybone said:

My suggestion is outside the music...

If you don't know the other band members, ask to meet up outside the rehearsal room to see if you all get on.

IMO, getting on with future band mates is just as important as the music.

Get to know the tune, see if you can add anything to the tune, fills, runs, etc. Be yourself, have confidence in your abilities, relax and enjoy.

I seriously doubt whole band will drop everything and meet up with you without even knowing if you can play? Imagine they are auditioning 4 bassists, that's 4 'dates' they have to organise. Won't happen.

IF you audition well, they will organise a get together to 'get to know you'. 

Usually after the audition you'll all sit down and talk, that's how I've always done it anyway

Don't over think it, learn their song.

Best of luck :)

Think its all been said before on the thread. I've done so many auditions and only failed one in 40yrs playing.

The one i failed was because i wasn't 100% into the style of music and from the word go just didn't feel right with the band members. 

Other than that i always learn the requested songs inside out. If its a covers band i'll learn the song exactly as the original. If i start playing and they are not playing exact to original i'll relax a bit and ease off to adapt to their style of playing. Some bands prefer bass to be exact and allows the guitarist to drift a little. That usually makes you the more competent player and gets a little respect for it.

With originals material where the song they've presented for the audition has no bass then i would stick to holding the rhythm with the drums. If basic root notes is what it takes then do that but in some prog bands they are looking for a bit more and want to see how you can add to the song. If you have time before the audition learn different parts for the song and ask their opinion what fits best.

I normally ask for their set list and learn a few more of their songs (time permitting) Shows you are keen to join.

Take a bottle of water for the audition if its a ful rehearsal slot with the band and a snack bar of some kind.

Make sure your gear is in good workng order and that strings are relatively new.

If you have more than one bass take the one that you feel most comfortable with. (I usually take my Jazz as its my goto bass)

Don't forget your tuner.

Don't be late.

Be friendly but never pushy at an audition. Listen to what they are saying and get a feel for their personalities. Who is the dominant leader type and make sure you connect with the drummer as he wil be paying attention to what you do.

Don't ad-lib too much. I'd rather play root notes than attempt to show off how many different styles i can play.

Never play between songs when people are talking either. That's one of my pet hates at rehearsals. 

Hope this helps and let us know how you get on.

All the very best

Dave

• Like 2

Obviously concentrate on what you're doing, but listen carefully to what everyone else is playing and, how good they are. There is usually a weak link. Is the weakest link going to be a problem for you or not? If so, forget it. Especially if it's the drummer. If you don't have a good drummer, you don't have a band.

If there is apparently NO weak link, then it's YOU. Go home and practise more! ;)

How loudly do they play? This is often down to the drums. If he's a shed-builder, forget it. If the guitarist is of the idiot type who insists on being louder than everyone else, forget it.

Overloud bands are a pain in the ārse. Punters don't like it and venues don't like it. Playing loud is tiring for all concerned and if your ears are ringing every time you play you are damaging your hearing. You should be using ear protection as a matter of course, but that's for another ranty thread. Good luck.

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1

Another thing worth considering....

Remember that you are auditioning them as much as they are auditioning you. That doesn't mean be egotistical.... rather, do they sound good to you, do they gel well and are you feeling that 'link' that makes you want to be part of their band? I've lost count of the number of bands I've auditioned for but ended up not wanting to part of.... either due to musical, social or practical reasons....
They have to be worth YOUR time as much as you are (hopefully) worth THEIRS.

• Like 3

From the perspective of somebody who has auditioned loads of people, and what I was looking for/what massively annoyed me (repeats a lot of what has already been said above):

• Turn up on time.  If you're unavoidable delayed then ring one of the band or ring the studio to let them know.  So get some contact numbers and work out exactly how to get to the studio, how long it's likely to take, and add on at least ten or fifteen minutes to allow for unforeseen problems on the day
  • Make sure that all your gear works properly, and isn't likely to break or need replacing on the day.  Also, no new pedals that you haven't used before or new techniques that you want to try but haven't yet mastered completely - remember, it's not your rehearsal
  • Learn the actual notes to the actual song that they have sent to you!  You'd be amazed at how many  people arrive saying "I didn't have time to learn what you sent me three weeks ago so do you know any of these songs..." and all I hear is that they are too arrogant and lazy to bother with the one thing they were expected to do, and probably not a good enough musician.  If you think you can make improvements, do that but still learn their arrangement, play it their way first and then suggest that you try it again your way.  Ask them ahead of time if they have any notes (no pun intended) for you - are they looking for a note for note recreation of the recorded version, are they looking for inspired changes?  And regardless of what they say, still learn the original arrangement.  And on the day, listen to their comments and adjust for them, particularly if any of your changes affect the feel of the song
  • If you haven't already done it, have a chat ahead of times so that you're clear on any issues that might affect your ability to be in the band - how often do they rehearse, are they planning to gig, what level of commitment do they expect from you?  They might be happy to make minor tweaks to what they already do, but if, say, they want to rehearse every Saturday afternoon and you only have spare time every third Tuesday in the month, then it's better to find out in advance.

Also, don't be a Richard on the day.  Unless you generally are a Richard, in which case let them know what they're getting if they do hire you.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

...have a chat ahead of times so that you're clear on any issues that might affect your ability to be in the band - how often do they rehearse, are they planning to gig, what level of commitment do they expect from you?  They might be happy to make minor tweaks to what they already do, but if, say, they want to rehearse every Saturday afternoon and you only have spare time every third Tuesday in the month, then it's better to find out in advance...

What with everything else this is often overlooked. You can audition what seems to be the perfect candidate, only to find they're in six other bands and you are seventh on their list of priorities... personally I only have time to commit my energies to one band, anything else is just too much faff. YMMV.

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, discreet said:

What with everything else this is often overlooked. You can audition what seems to be the perfect candidate, only to find they're in six other bands and you are seventh on their list of priorities... personally I only have time to commit my energies to one band, anything else is just too much faff. YMMV.

It's one of my major bugbears (and this isn't the first time I've moaned about it here) that people all say they are "really committed" to being in a band but everybody has a different definition of what that actually means, from "I'll rehearse every night of the week and jack in my job if a tour comes up", through "You can have all my free time apart from when I'm playing in my other band and they will always come first", to "As long as I haven't got the kids, Arsenal aren't at home, Eastenders isn't on that night and the wife doesn't want to do the weekly shop, I'm definitely there...apart from Tuesdays because i always play squash on Tuesdays, and definitely not at the weekend, which includes Fridays, because the weekend is for family stuff..." 

Doesn't mean that any one is wrong in isolation, but the closer everybody is to the same definition the better.

• Like 3