Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a pair of headphones

cLepto-bass

I will be moving to south of France in a few months which means I need to limit the amount gear I can take, at least at first. This means no amp/cab. So as a stopgap I am considering  getting myself a preamp unit (most likely a pedal) and some headphones. My question is, which headphones would be ideal for this? Alternatively, which ones should I stay away from? I am after pretty good audio quality ideally, needless to say with a good bass response. 

Input appreciated.

Cheers.

Go to a shop that has a good selection of headphones. Take some music with you that you are familiar with. Compensate the volume to a reasonable level with every pair (there really is a difference, there). Then make a choice of price and test all in the same league and take the (soundwise) most comfortable pair.

The other way is to start from the top: try the highest price first, then the second and go on until you hear a difference in sound. Then your choice is the previous pair.

Personally, I'd stay away from IEMs (this coming from me!) and go for larger cans if bass is a priority. You need to spending a lot on IEMs (granted you didn't state a budget) to get as good bass response as some larger headphones - and even then, if you do get some IEMs that buck the trend, say like some ZS10s that have oodles of bass, their phase coherence and overall ability to faithfully reproduce what you put into them, is questionable. They make fine budget monitors for live use but would not be anywhere in my shortlist for critical listening. In short, great sounding IEMs with great bass response and many hundreds (at least 600+ quid, most over 1000) of pounds. Even things like the classic Shure 215s are easily, easily outperformed by a decent set of budget cans.

As for suggestions - well, you will get a list a long as your arm... but listen to stuff from Sennheiser, Beyer, AT... and pick the one you like the sound signature of.

you should consider where you will be using them ie will you have external noise to deal with - if so then go for closed back headphones, if not I would get some open back cans as they always sound more natural to me.

I have a set of Grado SR80E's which are about £85 and thye sound incredible and are very comfortable and have a nice long lead too.

On 18/09/2018 at 17:47, Bleat said:

For clarity and fantastic low end reproduction I highly recommend Audio Technica ATH-M50X headphones.

:)

This!

I had a pair of PJBs and they were distinctly underwhelming for me. They sounded ok, but not amazing and build quality was not great. When mine stopped working on one side, and it was not the cable, PJB were also very distinctly unhelpful. But I am glad, since I then got a pair of ATH-M50X and I think they are much better.

• Like 1

Good closed back headphones usually have bether bass response, the downside beeing  they get warmer and sound a bit less natural.  For practise, recording, and critical listening the Audio techica M40X or 50X will do a great job. 

I use the M40x  and they do soud great, feel good but i also have a pair of AKG 720 that sound and feel awesome. These days i tend to prefer the AKG for quiet practise environment . Super light a comfy.

Take a look at the site above, they did a really nice work

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/best

• Like 1