Why become a member? ×

Boss WL20 Wireless

Lozz196

Ok, just bought one of these as been thinking of going wireless for a while, but didn`t want to have a unit that has to be plugged in to the mains as sometimes sourcing another plug socket on the hoof can be challenging. Enter the Boss WL20, two little units, one in your bass, one in your amp/tuner/DI/whatever, and you`re good to go. 50ft line of sight range, 2.3ms latency, automatically scans 14 frequencies and selects the best one just by connecting the two together, so no fiddly settings etc. This is the main reason I went for this one over the cheaper Xvive U2 as with that one you have to pair the two units and with my rotten middle-aged eyesight seeing small setting controls in dimly lit venues is another challenge, and one I don`t wish to accept. Plus Boss, well pretty much an industry standard. Ok the batteries apparently have a shelf-life of two years and can`t be changed so it`s buy another kit in two years time, but at £160 for two years use, well for me that works out to approx. £2 per gig on 40 gigs per year, less than the cost of a diet coke in most venues. I`ll update with my findings on the actual use but a mate of mine has one and I`ve seen him use it and it`s worked fine for his band.

• Like 2

Think the WL50 is great for those with a dedicated pedal-board, BOSS have really nailed it with this range imo. Although the range says 50ft in line of sight my mate went out into the pretty large audience in a fairly big venue and it worked fine.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, update time. Used the WL20 at 2 gigs at the weekend, hadn`t had a chance to use it at rehearsal so went straight in, trusting it would deliver. 

And it did. Great to be cable-free. I`m not much of a mover/leaper around stage, but it`s so liberating to not be fearful of falling over your own dratted lead. I didn`t notice any difference in sound but that`s cos I was using 2 different rigs at each gig, neither being the same as my own.

Overall I`m very glad I made this purchase.

• Like 1