Why become a member? ×

"Lets Twist again", neck repair

Grangur

This is something that has come out of a bit of a challenge that came up in another thread. 

@Bassmingo has a nice Squier and described the neck as "classic ski jump".

Well, I've fixed a few of those so I said, "That's fixable" etc, etc... So as a result the neck arrived here today.

After unpacking it seems the truss rod works fine. I can get it straight and to back-bow with the truss rod. What's not so clever is the twist in the neck. The twist must be something like 4-5 degrees. Well, have to say, I know How these can be fixed, but I've never done one yet. 

So here we go. As it is @Bassmingo was expecting this neck is a write-off, so nothing to loose here. 

Conveniently I've got a nice chunk of kitchen worktop as a bench for this. So I've clamped the neck to the worktop. Put a block under the neck, near the nut, and after fitting a tuner head I've  connected a string to apply the twisting tension.

20180914_234340 20180914_234355

Edited by Grangur
  • Like 4

The neck is now twisted back to about the right position. If I can, I'll get a picture looking down the length, so you can see.

Really, I'd like to get a bit more of an over-twist going, so when the clamp is relaxed, I have capacity for the twist to turn back just a little. What I've got now is the back of the tuning head is about 1mm from touching the worktop. So I can get a tiny bit more twist going, but not quite as much as I'd like to get.

So, what I've learned here is I should have put the neck resting points up on blocks or spacers. This would have given the added clearance.

What I've also been doing here, that I didn't mention, is I've been applying heat to the neck. Heat helps the glue in the neck relax and helps the neck twist. I've done this by putting a cloth over the frets and heating using a clothes iron.

By using the iron the neck gets quite warm. Another thing I didn't mention is, when clamped I also checked the motion of the truss rod. All is working perfectly. Well, that is to say I can loosen it. I've not yet tightened it. 

When fixing other necks with a ski-jump, I've always tightened the TR before releasing the clamp. My plan is to do this on this one too. For now though,  it's early days. This will be taken slowly with more heating later.

18 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

Interesting, I may give this a go with my BC Rich. 

There are a few threads about this on TB and folk on YouTube saying the only way to fix this is to take the fret-board off and reshape the neck. Yet, this has to worth a good try. Especially so, when the Luther costs for this could easily be more than half of the value of the bass.

On another bass that had a broken truss rod, I took it to a luthier. It turned out that bass had a twisted neck. It too was repaired in exactly this method.

Edited by Grangur
  • Like 1

This morning I gave the tuning head another small turn or 3. The first small turns were quite easy to turn. The tuning head still isn't quite grounded on the worktop.  I then got the clothes iron out again and gave it another heat up through a cloth.

Looking at the progress, it's looking like it's getting pretty flat. I'm expecting the frets will need levelling, but It's looking a lot better than it was yesterday, not that I'd want to take the clamps off yet.
30824883558_915abff856.jpg

30824882228_d618fd2424.jpg

42885389000_85e8551e5a.jpg

• Like 2

Good work. I remember reading the original thread and thinking it could probably be sorted. 

Using a little heat is a good idea. If it was a really bad twist I might of been tempted to use a little steam too, from the rear of the neck (sparingly).

Boiled linseed or lemon oil on the fret board before unclamping too. Might help, but can't hurt even if it doesn't. 

• Like 1