Why become a member? ×

Your *favourite* bassline?

Cicero

2 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Jamiroquai's Space Cowboy with Mr X. Just wonderfully creative bass playing..Miles better than Zender's effort. He's just using that basses range to full effect. 

Couldn't disagree more with this statement. Zender's line is miles better. The album version is much straighter, far less succinct and more importantly, way less funky. 

Obviously there are the usual contenders like Peaches, Rhythm Stick, Dancing In the Moonlight etc, but many of mine will have come from Chris Squire. We've already had Close to the Edge (or part of it), so I'll throw in this:

Edited by 4000
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Jamiroquai's Space Cowboy with Mr X. Just wonderfully creative bass playing..Miles better than Zender's effort. He's just using that basses range to full effect. 

Most of Stuart Zender's basslines are just awesome.

Both Emergency on Planet Earth and Space Cowboy are excellent albums.

1 hour ago, Cato said:

A bit more Jamiroquai.

Jamiroquai's first album was actually a bit of a turning point in my musical tastes. Before that I was mainly listening to rock and metal, this helped me to realise that there was so much more out there.

Plus the bass was phenomenal.

I pretty much play this every day... As in, on the bass.
It's a lot of fun, and such a great tune to play along to.

• Like 1

Perhaps I am cheating again since I posted this the other day... But my current favourite.

It's been a real motivator in terms of trying to get anywhere near that level of accuracy... Metronomes are a necessity, for me, least 😁

And it's damn funky!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Perhaps I am cheating again since I posted this the other day... But my current favourite.

It's been a real motivator in terms of trying to get anywhere near that level of accuracy... Metronomes are a necessity, for me, least 😁

And it's damn funky!

I’ve never heard that before   that’s really good what’s the bpm 

If i did have to pick one it would be Heard it through the grapevine. However here are a few of my other favs. I've tried not to pick ones that come up commonly.

First up Damaged goods by Gang of four. Always thought the bass had a certain edge to it.

2nd is Uncertain smile by the excellent TheThe. A pretty good example of a simple baseline with a nice rounded tone.

• Like 2

A few more faves for me...

Colibri - Incognito

The Enemy Within - Rush (from the album “Rush does reggae”, LOL!)

Whenever I see your smiling face - James Taylor 

Lee Sklar catches a little pinch of joy and sprinkles if over a pretty simple walking bass line. But his playing stil brings a smile to my face every time I hear it!

21 hours ago, BassTractor said:

The "Total Mass Retain" segment from the song "Close to the Edge". I've mentioned it before. but at the time it was a moment of: "Can that even be done?"

Apparently, it could:

The live version on Keys to Ascension is even better!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RussFM said:

Dancing In The Moonlight and I Want You Back are two of my favourite bass lines to play,  but I'm a punk/rock fan, and this is the one that makes me turn the car stereo up every time it comes on, that fill at 1:20 is perfect. 

Not heard them before, but really liked that