Why become a member? ×

Your *favourite* bassline?

Cicero

There are not many bass lines that can match (Imo) this absolute classic. it seems very simple to the ones posted before, but I think its a bass line that make people tap there feet more. And isn't that what a bass line should do.? I think the former posted above are more bass performances than a solid bassline. 

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 8

10 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

There are not many bass lines that can match (Imo) this absolute classic. it seems very simple to the ones posted before, but I think its a bass line that make people tap there feet more. And isn't that what a bass line should do.? I think the former posted above are more bass performances than a solid bassline. 

I grew up listening to metal/thrash/prog/punk etc, and Disco couldn’t be anything further away from what I like, but yeah Bernard Edwards was just incredible and in my middle age I can finally admit to loving Chic 😉

• Like 1

Wow, some great learning here for me!

My current fave is “Don’t give hate a chance” - Jamiroquai, but the lines that got me into bass were “Le Freak” Chic, “I don’t like Monday’s” - Boomtown Rats, and “Hit me with your rhythm stick” Ian Dury and the Blockheads....then I go all prog and jazz fusion.

Too many favourite bass lines to list, but, for me, these have to go at the top of the list . . . 

Little Feat, Spanish Moon (Kenny Gradney) Mean and moody, contains one of the best drum breaks ever put on record.

Sly and the Family Stone, Thank You (Larry Graham) When I first heard this in early 1970, on a US Air Base jukebox, I played it 20 times in a row.

Aretha Franklin, Rock Steady (Chuck Rainey) I still can't get that middle 8!

Jean Knight, Mr Big Stuff (Vernie Robbins) The first time I heard this, I had to pull the car over until it finished.

Keb Mo, Just Like You (Hutch Hutchinson) Beautiful, tasteful bass lines.

Stevie Wonder, Do I Do (Nate Watts) I don't like the tone he gets but this is a tour de force of bass playing.

Keb Mo, Muddy Water (Reggie McBride) Great tone, pure class.

• Like 1

A bit more Jamiroquai.

Jamiroquai's first album was actually a bit of a turning point in my musical tastes. Before that I was mainly listening to rock and metal, this helped me to realise that there was so much more out there.

Plus the bass was phenomenal.

• Like 2