Why become a member? ×

Just getting back into the game

AlanH

Hi,   I'm Alan from California.   I used to play as a kid in my teens.  I can't say I was ever very good but now I'm starting fresh and I have a more serious perspective.  I would like very much to get hooked up with an instructor to at least get some input on how to do things properly.  I also used to play piano, trumpet, and trombone way back when, so I do have basic music reading skills.  I had a flea market bass for about a year and I finally made the jump to a Fender Standard Precision bass made in Mexico and it's an absolutely beautiful guitar.  I bought it a month ago and I've been playing it every day.  I love it.  Can't wait to get better at it.  If I manage to get good enough to join a group, that would be cool.  But at this point I'm just enjoying it for what it is.  Thanks for letting me join the page.  By the way, can anyone can explain to me what the main difference is between the American model and the Mexico model besides where it's made and how much it costs?  Thank you!

Welcome Alan.

You have asked the eternal question for Fender fans.  You might be here for some time.  Heeheehee.

Many of us are back for a second bite of the bass cherry having carried out early adulthood obligations in the interim.  The great thing about this forum is that you will find working musicians from the weekend warriors to the pros.  The best thing about this forum is the ability to rub shoulders with all abilities in a friendly and (for the most part) tolerant way.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

On 14/09/2018 at 21:51, AlanH said:

By the way, can anyone can explain to me what the main difference is between the American model and the Mexico model besides where it's made and how much it costs?  Thank you!

One is considered to be better by people with more money than sense because of the country of origin???

Welcome-Image.gif

Edited by TheGreek

Thanks for all the welcomes to the group everyone.  I appreciate it.

One is considered to be better by people with more money than sense because of the country of origin???

Haha!  Thanks for your response TheGreek.  The reading I've done on the subject seems to suggest there are some subtle differences.  However they may not be enough to justify the doubled or even tripled price to a lot of people.  The Mexican guitar I bought is the finest instrument I've ever purchased.  It's my understanding there may be some different woods involved, truss rods adjust differently, the body is machined internally differently.  Etc.  A pretty informative article I found -- https://www.proaudioland.com/news/mexican-american-fender-differences/

But all in all these differences don't make that much difference to me.  At least not yet!

Edited by AlanH