Why become a member? ×

kodiakblair

I hold certain members of BC responsible for this latest NBD. 

Few year back there was a post on Revelation guitars and this eejit had a look at their site,always a dangerous move 🙂 The P-bass looked good,there's a cracking jazz model and there was the RPBX. Double split-P basses always catch my interest and when those split-Ps are Entwistle Neos I knew I was doomed. Kept strong for a couple of years then the RPB-65 post start of this week caused me to crack 🤬

Ordered the bass on Tuesday night,UK Mail dropped it off on Thursday morning. A tidy sunburst bass was in the box 🙂

R3Xw8cFh.jpg

My lightest T40 weighs 10.5lb,this weighs-in at 10lb so pretty decent weight-wise. Neck has a gloss finish and there's a nice bit of maple under there. Good fret work and the wide/slim profile is comfortable.

zYjHELIh.jpgDFo263Mh.jpg

Balances great. Controls are simple - 2 vol,1 tone.  The basic BBOT has been placed perfectly 👍

6esYlzLh.jpg

Bass came strung with roundwound 😕 Not really a huge fan of RWs and when they're getting sent through Entwistle Neos it's too much for this fella 😄 Changing the pickup height along with adjustable pole pieces I'm sure I could fine tune . When you 22 sets of flats in the cupboard though why bother. First pack I grabbed were TIs 😎

NQysrdkh.jpg

I'll try and borrow a Harley Benton JB-75 with Wilkinsons over the weekend. See how Trev's pickups compare against Alan's.

• Like 6

For me, Revelations are the best instruments available at the lower end of the market. Better than Squier, etc. They've done their homework, come up with cool designs, found a good factory to work with in China, and have the benefit of Entwistle's many, many years of experience. 

I remember loving the old Hohner Revelations back in the day, and I'm very glad they've made a comeback. 

My RBJ-67 5-string Jazz is a phenomenal instrument. Doesn't hurt that I only paid £300 for it. 

• Thanks 1

On 14/09/2018 at 19:09, kodiakblair said:

I'll try and borrow a Harley Benton JB-75 with Wilkinsons over the weekend. See how Trev's pickups compare against Alan's.

I've got Alan's in my Bitsa Jazz and Wilkinsons in a Vintage VJ74 I just picked up and the Wilkinsons compare very well indeed. Punchy and very Jazz-like, as you'd expect but more quite a bit more power than the Entwistles. Though to be fair the Entwistles aren't the Neo jobs, they're ceramic. Nice sound, though.

2 hours ago, Paddy515 said:

Kodiakblair, what does your neck measure at the nut - thought this was supposed to be a 42mm

Digi calipers read 42.17mm. Has some bugger swapped the neck ?

2 hours ago, discreet said:

the Wilkinsons compare very well indeed. Punchy and very Jazz-like, as you'd expect but more quite a bit more power than the Entwistles. Though to be fair the Entwistles aren't the Neo jobs, they're ceramic. Nice sound, though.

Got the Wilkinson endowed jazz bass very late Sunday.After 2 year with no strings or tuners it took a few days to settle down.Mate has messed about with this Harley Benton something terrible but that's another story 😂

Great pickups those Wilkinsons,quite bright and quite loud. The volume surprised me,couple of year back I stuck Entwistle Neos in a Peavey Zodiac DE. A/B'd against my other Zodiac DE (stock Duncan Basslines) the Entwistles were easy twice the output 👍 I really shouldn't have been suprised,my mate Claudio's A/B with the Wiliknson SC vs Duncan SC showed the same low output from the Duncan.

The double split-P Neos in the Revelation were a bit louder but not a huge amount,they were a bit brighter too. I'll need to look at pot/cap values as rolling off the tone was impressive,deep but not wooly. Had no bother swapping between the Harley Benton and the Rev, the 38mm Benton neck is quite thick whereas the 42mm Rev neck is quite slim.

Good handful of wood with either 😱  

Spoken to Lee At Gallaghers in Grimsby. Hes found out that ALL the last batch of 12 to 18 RPBXs have come with the wrong necks but marked up correctly and been sent out to retailers. Another batch coming in October but because they are en route they cant check for correct necks. Im waiting and if they come with P necks, swapping mine for one of that batch. Lee's always a great guy to deal with and keen on price too. If anyone wants this J bass with double P pups, talk to me!!!

Edited by Paddy515
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Twincam said:

Double p split pickups look like they mean business! 

They ARE the business. I had a Hayman 4040 with dual splits and it sounded amazing. The Elite Ps from the 80s have the same configuration and are monsters by all accounts. If only I didn't have to pay any bloody bills this month! Massive Revelation Dual Split P GAS is raging!

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, Paddy515 said:

Been waiting since September for a new batch of RBPX basses with the correct necks fitted. Find out today that thay have now arrived - all with the jazz width necks wrongly fitted AGAIN!!! Ive given up and have had a refund!!!

That's an absolute nightmare. I've a house move expected for 2019,many basses won't be coming with me 😞

I'll give you a couple of months to get over your disappointment before asking if your interest is rekindled.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

That's an absolute nightmare. I've a house move expected for 2019,many basses won't be coming with me 😞

I'll give you a couple of months to get over your disappointment before asking if your interest is rekindled.

Have you had a chance to play yours at gig volume and if so, how do find it cuts through in a live setting?