Why become a member? ×

New toys and a rant

Witters

51 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Did anyone's dad/mum hate the music you listened to? Mine did.  "Turn that shyt off!"

They tolerated Deep Purple and ELP, God bless 'em. But I'm grateful they introduced me to Nilsson and Simon & Garfunkel, without whom the work of Joe Osborn, the Wrecking Crew, Klaus Voorman and Herbie Flowers would have remained a mystery to me. If something's good, it's good!

Edited by discreet

1 hour ago, fleabag said:

Did anyone's dad/mum hate the music you listened to ?  Mine did.  " Turn that shyt off "

Mum was cool.  She liked a bit of rock among other things.

Dad on the other hand; had pretty much Victorian values being fifty when I was born in 1962.  He tolerated the then current music but could not get any joy from it.  The closest I got to entertaining him with stuff I listened to was when I had him captive for a couple of hours and I made him have Mike Oldfield's original Tubular Bells.  Even then he got queasy during some of the more unusual chord progressions.

I don't think either of them hated any sort of music.

When we had a small pub in Ireland we'd have live folk music on every Sunday.  The place was always rammed.

My parents never liked much/any of my music (Dad quite liked Thin Lizzie, and in fact I liberated his vinyl copy of Jailbreak) but accepted that parents aren't supposed to like what their children enjoy, that's how the world works.  After all, they never liked what their parents listened to...  And they were always happy that I could listen to whatever i want

Also, my Dad was drinking pals with some musicians in the '70's - his best mate at the time plays acoustic guitar on Your Song by Elton John and is on a lot of Alan Price's albums of the period.  he quite likes the softer end of '70's rock, which isn't my thing entirely but I don't hate it all (I have a lot of early period Elton John albums)

An odd offshoot of this is that I now dislike some music on principal because my Dad enjoys it - weirdly he is a huge fan of Talking Heads and David Byrne who i can't stand.  But we do share some things - I introduced him to Ben Harper

7 hours ago, Witters said:

You can get to grade 8 WITHOUT any theory.  I have to give this one student a crash course in basic harmony (grade 5 stuff) so they can play in the school jazz band.  Granted jazz and classical are completely different disciplines so it’ll be hard for them anyway, but no theory?  It should be compulsory to have grade 5 theory BEFORE doing grade 8 practical. 😡😡😡

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it IS compulsory to have Grade 5 theory for ABRSM Grade 6 and above. Trinity don't require any theory, which is why a lot of people pick Trinity. Of course you'll need to give some guidance before a classical double bass player can play in a "Jazz" band....

I think we (us older ones) forget just how fast the music industry is changing and how little the younger ones know of our top bands of years ago.

My daughter used to run a dance school and a couple of years ago suggested, to some of the young teenage girls, that they could do a Spice Girls routine - blank looks all 'round as none of them new who the Spice Girls were!  I picked up my 13 year old grandson from school last term and saw inside one of the class rooms where they were doing "Music History" - the Beatles!  When one of our young (late 20s) church band drummers asked about the bass guitar I was using,  I told him it was a copy of Paul McCartney's violin bass that he used in the Beatles,  I could tell he had no idea what I was talking about.

My wife has a music degree and plays oboe in the local orchestra.  She has come across grade 8 flute players who struggle to read music.  Apparently they just learn the tunes they need  to pass the exams and cannot translate their reading on to new scores.  With many of the "Boy Bands" (or "Girl Bands" for that matter)  not playing instruments  I can see why many children have no wish to learn to play any musical instrument.  Of course learning music does take time and effort and the school schedule is so crowded that many education establishments simply don't cover the subject.  Mrs LeftyP has just been asked to teach some pupils oboe at a local junior school.  With even the basic student oboe costing over £1000 and reeds around £12 each she is not expecting a mad rush!

4 hours ago, discreet said:

Sheeran is where he is through good management, shrewd marketing and proper manipulation of all available media platforms. And a lot of people like his songs for some reason.

And lets not forget sheer dogged determination, hard graft - 600+ gigs in 2 or 3 years, sleeping on people's sofas, the underground. He's paid his dues and deserves all the success he's had if you ask me.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mikel said:

He is simply very popular with lots of people, and who knows if he will still be played in 20 years time.

Almost certainly. As I suspect he won't burn out due to drugs and a rock'n'roll!

And in 20 years time there will be a load of 40 year olds going on about how great music was in their day and how modern music is all rubbish

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Almost certainly. As I suspect he won't burn out due to drugs and a rock'n'roll!

And in 20 years time there will be a load of 40 year olds going on about how great music was in their day and how modern music is all rubbish

Nobody is saying modern music is rubbish, I think the drift is that some music becomes almost timeless while most is very much of the era. If some kids are asking to learn some old 70s stuff then it must have something going for it. Each to their own. Liking something from the past or recorded even before you were born does not make you an old duffer, or mean kids have something wrong with them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pete.young said:

And lets not forget sheer dogged determination, hard graft - 600+ gigs in 2 or 3 years, sleeping on people's sofas, the underground. He's paid his dues and deserves all the success he's had if you ask me.

I have nothing against the guy, he works incredibly hard and is very generous with his money, I just dont find his songs inspiring.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, neilp said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it IS compulsory to have Grade 5 theory for ABRSM Grade 6 and above. Trinity don't require any theory, which is why a lot of people pick Trinity. Of course you'll need to give some guidance before a classical double bass player can play in a "Jazz" band....

Yes, you are correct, as far as I know ABRSM theory at grade 5 is compulsory as you say, and that is why some students prefer any board that doesn’t demand that, but it should be compulsory for all boards then the issue would not arise.  However, then the other boards may not make as much money from their exams!  Another thread, perhaps?

On 14 September 2018 at 11:35, operative451 said:

.......and while i would say he's basically nicked all KT Tunstall's ideas and thrown tech at them........

Not to diss KT Tunstall and her ideas (as I think she's a great artist), but then so is Ed - but if you really want to look retrospectively, John Martyn was doing this sort of thing in the 70s. You could argue that the likes of Dave Gilmour and others are just doing what Hank Marvin did - whilst you'd be right that they were influenced by Hank they are of course excellent artists in their own right. 

No doubt Ed's lyrics and imagery have a synergy with today's young people that us more elderly can't comprehend - in the same way my dad could never entertain the thought that Hendrix - or even the Stones, were bona fide artists. I quite like some of Ed's songs and indeed have had to learn two or three for deps I do - I find them fun to play.

Great that some youngsters like Led Zeppelin and why not. That many others think it's irrelevant to them is understandable - after all in 1969, few of us mid teens would have been that interested in something from 1919 🤔

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 2

On 15/09/2018 at 12:01, drTStingray said:

What's the betting JPJ never played Lemon Song exactly the same twice!!?

He never plays anything exactly the same twice. For me, that's the appeal of Zeppelin. The feeling that even the songs on the albums are a captured moment. The looseness and freedom is always there