Why become a member? ×

Bass head for studio & Home practise

X111j004

Is there anyone that can give me some advice on recommendations 

i’m Currently looking for a bass amp head to go with my Hartke HyDrive 112. I don’t gig right now so what I’m looking for is an amp head that has good recording out options & is quiet enough for Home practise. The mark bass amps are perfect for playing at low volume and can be cranked but defiantly not the tone I’m looking for. I prefer the ampeg/Hartke/ g&k punchier tone. I play both active and passive basses.

thanks for your help

Hi you could get a Ampeg pf50t. All tube  from Kenny's in Glasgow at 429 

Got mine yesterday sounds great at home , and quite loud too there is the small brother at 20 watts 

Driving a two ten cab don't forget these are tube watts so sound loud

Take your time and see what's right for you  personally

I’m going to throw the GK MB200 in. I’ve just got one myself as a backup for my massive 600w Trace and it really does punch above it’s very light weight. I’m actually using it at rehearsals and gigs more than the Trace now  

Astounding tone, more volume than you would think and very quiet operation. 

If you are never going to gig then a small amp like the Ampeg pf20t would be an idea, or any 200 watt amp. But if there are gigs in the future I'd get a good 500 watt amp. One that sounds good at low volume and can be cranked as well. That's my Aguilar amps to a T.

I'm learning some songs for the weekend playing along to the laptop in my front room and I'm using my Aguilar TH500 and 2 BF One10's. As quiet as you want it to be and bags of great tone.

3 hours ago, afterimage said:

Hi you could get a Ampeg pf50t. All tube  from Kenny's in Glasgow at 429 

Got mine yesterday sounds great at home , and quite loud too there is the small brother at 20 watts 

Driving a two ten cab don't forget these are tube watts so sound loud

Take your time and see what's right for you  personally

I was litterally going to buy one of these last week but it’s out of my price range just now. Disn’t Know kenny’s had them at 429!! Might have to go to Glasgow to try one. How is it for low volumes? Is it loud right from one? Or can it hit 3+ on the volume before it hits real levels?

thanks

I've just got the pf 20T from Kenny's.  Didn't like it much initially, but like it a lot now apart from hum, which I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get down to manageable levels.  Took me a while to find the sounds I wanted, but think I'm there now. 

If you genuinely want a studio/home practice amp, I can't see how you'd need anything bigger than this, as long as you have a reasonably efficient cabinet.   No disadvantage of having more power than you need though, so if you can afford the pf 50, I'm sure it would b great.

1 hour ago, X111j004 said:

I was litterally going to buy one of these last week but it’s out of my price range just now. Disn’t Know kenny’s had them at 429!! Might have to go to Glasgow to try one. How is it for low volumes? Is it loud right from one? Or can it hit 3+ on the volume before it hits real levels?

thanks

The 50T works nicely at low volumes - the master volume is not too abrubt at the bottom end, so you can dial it in pretty easily.  The EQ seems quite versatile too, with the selectable mids, and I don't find it noisy unless the mids and highs are really cranked (which is true of a lot of amps, SS or valve) I'm going to take it out on a gig tomorrow and see how it fares!

I was unlucky with valve failures on mine, but most have been fine and they will sort if for you if needs be. 

7 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Just throwing this into the mix...why not get a modeller to create the amp tone you need? A Behringer BD121 also has a DI out - cost about £20 and works with whatever you have already...

+1

Unless you expect to be gigging in the near future, I'd suggest spending your hard-earned money where it counts!