Why become a member? ×

Beyer DT250 Headphone Jack plug

Owen

I have a pair of DT250 cans. They are old but have plenty of life left in them. However the jack plug has died (it is moulded so there is no way in). I am now back to the bare cable and there are 4 wires in there. How does that translate into stereo? How do I wire that up?

Be gentle with me.

Thanks

I would suggest that they are 2 for each earpiece.  You'd need to check with a meter to find out which is which.  Then you'd have to check which is hot and which is cold so the two earpieces are in phase -  probably a matter of trial and error.  When you've worked that out you can solder on a new plug.

The other way is to send them to me and I'll see what I can do.

I'm sure Dave (obbm's) offer will be great, and I haven't looked if you still can, but you used to be able to buy new parts including the removable lead from Canford Audio. You could buy all the bits to make a new pair! I bought several sets of new drivers for mine over the years when I was in the industry.  (I'm sure other suppliers are available too).

Hmmmmm..... on reflection, by the time I have posted them to yur man OBBM or just bought a replacement lead I will be nearly £40 into a new pair of DT770s @ £100 odd so I think I will bite the bullet and splash the cash. The ear velvet things are a bit loose as well so........

But thanks for your contributions which have helped focus my thought process :)

Edited by owen

the dt250 uses the same connector as the dt100, i've replaced a few leads on these,  there is a wiring diagram here, ignore pins 5 and 6, these are used for the models with a boom mic. you need to remove the screw on the connector to get it out but they're easy to re-wire, i've bought replacement ones and re-used old ones with no issues, i actually have a couple of different ones for my headphones with different lengths and different connectors (short for use when tracking at home and much longer for when i'm with the full band.)

Matt

p.s, if you decide to give up on the DT250's i might buy them from you as i could do with another pair.

Edited by Matt P
added the p.s

I do not WANT to appear stupid, but feel that I am about to. I have 4 wires to play with here (green, yellow, brown and white) and cannot seem to make sense of the link you provided Matt. Could you make it REALLY obvious which one I want. My poor wife has to put up with this behaviour all the time :( Thanks

If you open the plug at the headphone end (one screw to unplug from the headphones and then a smaller screw to open up the plug) you should be able to see the colour coding, the plug has 4 pins and then a small gap to the other 2 pins, that should allow you to orientate yourself for wiring up the other end, I think the stereo plug will be left to tip, right to ring and ground to sleeve. Unfortunately I'm currently on my mobile so links and stuff are a bit tricky.