Why become a member? ×

Very unusual Guild bass

Roger2611

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/old-bass-guitar-not-sure-a-friend-thinks-it-could-be-japaneze-or-usa-about-1970/192656460362?hash=item2cdb384a4a:g:ZIEAAOSwjexbmkFv

Spotted this earlier, it is a strange one, surely no one has gone to some elaborate length to create that headstock so it looks like the maker is Guild in some form but the body and general appearance smacks of late 70's Japanese basses like Status, Cimar, CSL and the likes, I assume if it is a genuine USA Guild then £300.00 is dirt cheap for it...I shall watch it with interest

It's an early 70s Japanese LP bass copy, plywood body, pressed top, the necks on these are also a mahogany multi-laminate - which strongly suggests they're Sakai Mokko builds. The same bass was sold in the UK as Jedson, and also unbranded.

The one I had aged 16 was unbranded - it was a decent & playable starter bass and actually sounded pretty decent - unlike a lot of these the pickups were proper humbuckers rather than single coil "mockbuckers" - and it was pretty gutsy. Just noticed this has an old Maxon single-coil as a replacement for its bridge pickup.

Oh - the Guild logo's a sticker, and this is about £100's worth realistically. They're fairly common.

• Thanks 1