Why become a member? ×

String Cleaners/boiling/coated Strings and General tone

thundachopz

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Do you really need 'that' tone for practising (or even some rehearsals...)..? Maybe a second bass with a set of, say, Elixirs (good, long-lasting strings...) for home use, and the 'real' bass with the freshest strings for gigs..? The 'gig' strings might last quite a bit longer..? I too, would be reticent in the use of Fast Fret, or any other product of the sort. Clean hands (of course...), and a thorough wipe-down after use would be my routine.
Just my tuppence-worth. B|

That`s a really good idea. I use a different bass at home and the thought of a set of strings lasting 2 or 3 times longer on that bass is a good one. I`m sure I can get near the tone I want with coated strings, good call @Dad3353

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Not tried that but worth a shot. Do they last much longer after doing this ?

Hi dmccombe ,

It's certainly not a long term fix, I can get perhaps a week or 2 more out of old strings while I'm saving up for new sets.

I have done this for many years with no adverse effects to guitar or hands,  just don't go over the top and maybe best to completely remove strings when you do it.

I am sure the more discerning player would never lower themselves to using such a method... to me it's all Rock 'n' Roll , so I couldn't care less. 😜

Edited by Bleat
Typing like Yoda
  • Like 1

What's the tension like on Elixirs?  I've been using the Dunlop Super Bright Nickels 45-105 for some time now, I love the lower tension they have and they do seem to last a while for me anyway...

Always interested to try something new but dropping £43 quid to find out I don't like em due to high tension would boil my p1ss for sure!

1 hour ago, Bleat said:

WD-40 > Rag > loosen strings > rub up and down strings a few times > retune strings > zing! 🤩

The safety data sheet warns it may cause eye, skin and respiratory tract irritation, and contact may cause an allergic skin reaction. I think I’d be more comfortable using something that’s specifically designed for the purpose rather than something that isn’t.

3 minutes ago, ambient said:

The safety data sheet warns it may cause eye, skin and respiratory tract irritation, and contact may cause an allergic skin reaction. I think I’d be more comfortable using something that’s specifically designed for the purpose rather than something that isn’t.

Ambient

I'll recommend to proceed with *extreme* caution regards WD40 , wear gloves if you try it, and don't blame me if your hands fall off after using it.

Though *I* have not encountered any problems, this may or may not be the case with any one else so... if in doubt just buy proper string cleaner or new strings and be done with it!

And don't get it near rusty nuts... or drink it.

I think that's all the Health and Safety stuff covered then.

👍

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bleat said:

Ambient

I'll recommend to proceed with *extreme* caution regards WD40 , wear gloves if you try it, and don't blame me if your hands fall off after using it.

Though *I* have not encountered any problems, this may or may not be the case with any one else so... if in doubt just buy proper string cleaner or new strings and be done with it!

And don't get it near rusty nuts... or drink it.

I think that's all the Health and Safety stuff covered then.

👍

Nothing worse than rusty nuts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LewisK1975 said:

What's the tension like on Elixirs?  I've been using the Dunlop Super Bright Nickels 45-105 for some time now, I love the lower tension they have and they do seem to last a while for me anyway...

Always interested to try something new but dropping £43 quid to find out I don't like em due to high tension would boil my p1ss for sure!

Like for like gauge i find they are a little tighter but its not horrendous. I'm trying to remember back to the day i first used them as to whether i needed to adjust the neck to suit them. Maybe someone else can comment on that. I would think they have the tension feel of a gauge up from my normal strings. I typically play 40-100 and recently tried 45 - 105 which feel more like the 40-100 Elixirs if that makes sense. 

I'm gonna try them on my Jazz when next due which should be end of the month. Not had them on my goto basses for some reason. I've also used them on my fretless 6 Overwater and they were pretty good on that bass I had to get a taperwound for the B tho but it was a few yrs ago now. I went back to Overwater strings on my Overwater fretless.

Dave.

59 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Another wee tip is to leave a silicon gel sachet in your case. They absorb the moisture in the case, and so keep the strings a bit fresher for a bit longer.

That's a good idea. I do have my basses on the wall right enough but could do it with my main goto bass. Cheers for that one

Dave

5 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

That's a good idea. I do have my basses on the wall right enough but could do it with my main goto bass. Cheers for that one

Dave

Unfortunately they don't work for long. They absorb moisture from the air once the case is opened and need recharging in a hot oven. 

15 minutes ago, ped said:

Unfortunately they don't work for long. They absorb moisture from the air once the case is opened and need recharging in a hot oven. 

I know we had silica gel bottles on our large transformers that electricians replaced once a year i think, so does it depend on what type of silica gel is used. No expert and just guessing. 

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

15 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

well I use these at £4.40 a pop, but you may not like the tone, I find them fine for pub gigging, nice and snappy cos they're always new, 10 sets for the price of a set of La bellas? Possibly worth a punt?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_valuestrings_bassguitar_medium.htm

Thanks mate I used 2 use the 5 string sets as you say they aint half bad for the price!

On 13/09/2018 at 09:29, dmccombe7 said:

Wouldn't mind trying these strings but at £10 for shipping for a set at just over £4 is a bit much. Maybe if i buy something more expensive i'll add a set in to the order.

Fair point. Having tried them and liked them, I order ten sets at a time (not very often obviously). When Howard the Bass Doc was working on one of my basses he commented on how much he liked the strings, and asked where he could get some! Everyone else who has tried them either doesn't notice the difference of comments on the funky gold silks!  :)

If you PM me your address, I can pop a set in the post so you can try them... ;)