Why become a member? ×

''Olympic level funk''

PawelG

35 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

And just like that: Cory Wong touring the UK next February. Good odds that Joe will be on bass if he's available. Either way it'll be a brilliant gig!

https://www.corywongmusic.com/tour

He wasn't this year but whoever it was did a fine job. I'd highly recommend his live show, very funny, and very funky

Also check out his solo album. I think he might have a 2nd one out that I've not listened to but the first one is great. There's some brilliant bass playing (no Joe) and one of my favourite bass envelope filter sounds ever!

Edited by cheddatom

6 hours ago, cheddatom said:

They are brilliant. I saw Vulfpeck live last year, Cory Wong's hilarious solo show this year, and Theo Katzman's solo show with Joe Dart on bass this year too. Although obviously I adore Joe's playing, Theo is the star for me. His drumming, guitar playing, and singing are breathtaking. 

Particularly his drumming but he confesses he can't go a day without playing guitar...!  He almost switched majors at university onto bass when he became disillusioned with drums.  

1 minute ago, Kiwi said:

Particularly his drumming but he confesses he can't go a day without playing guitar...!  He almost switched majors at university onto bass when he became disillusioned with drums.  

At his solo show, towards the end of the set he was playing a guitar solo, and it was already awesome, he really sings through the guitar, very melodic even though some of the notes were really "out there", but then he did his sing-along-with-the-guitar trick, which took it to the next level, but THEN he started singing harmonies over the top of his guitar solo, and he was right up the end of the neck on a strat. Honestly I got shivers down my spine. 

I've noticed the guitar stand thing.

Is that floating anyone else's boat?  I think it's a naff idea but I'd like to know if there is a reason for it other than to make them stand apart image-wise as well as stage-wise.  Perhaps it is to make it easier to swap players instead of players swapping instruments?

I find it hard to criticise them otherwise and it's not a serious criticism anyway.

21 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I've noticed the guitar stand thing.

Is that floating anyone else's boat?  I think it's a naff idea but I'd like to know if there is a reason for it other than to make them stand apart image-wise as well as stage-wise.  Perhaps it is to make it easier to swap players instead of players swapping instruments?

I find it hard to criticise them otherwise and it's not a serious criticism anyway.

Looks cool. And they are called “The Fearless Flyers”, maybe something to do with that?

2 hours ago, PawelG said:

I think it does. They have it in the studio when recording videos too. Must be a thing for the Flyers.

Fair enough.

Personally, I think it must help for this sort of multi-talented pool of musicians.  The engineer will tear out less of his or her hair worrying about guitar swaps and the associated hazards with the guitars being fixed and the musicians walking in and out from the playing location.  Just my thoughts you understand.

49 minutes ago, burno70 said:

Love Vulfpeck - thanks or posting.

If you mean the OP;  It's not strictly speaking Vulfpeck in this line up.  It's listed as The Fearless Flyers' debut.

There seems to be a pool of musicians revolving around a couple of key players here.  It's admirable, the way they seem equally at ease with each other and some of the older time-served players.  Being flexible like that must open up so many opportunities for them all.

21 hours ago, cheddatom said:

At his solo show, towards the end of the set he was playing a guitar solo, and it was already awesome, he really sings through the guitar, very melodic even though some of the notes were really "out there", but then he did his sing-along-with-the-guitar trick, which took it to the next level, but THEN he started singing harmonies over the top of his guitar solo, and he was right up the end of the neck on a strat. Honestly I got shivers down my spine. 

Yeah the harmonies are a neat trick and he can get away with it as a tenor vocalist. Really making the most of his vocal ability!

I suggested to Smoove and Tyrrell that they approach Jack Stratton and talk about a shared tour. I think it could be a phenomenal show. Smoove were enthusiastic but not a lot of progress seems to have been made in the couple of months since.