Why become a member? ×

''Olympic level funk''

PawelG

16 minutes ago, adamg67 said:

For some unknown reason, I’ve never listened to Vulfpeck until tonight. Love it when I find something new that’s that good.

I only really discovered them a few weeks ago myself - have listened to them every day since.

I'm working on learning a few of their songs - Joe is such a great bass player.

Edited by PJ-Bassist

I saw Vulfpeck mentioned first about two years ago when a fellow member posted a link to the Beastly video on YT.

They appear to have by-passed a lot of the baggage that weighs most bands down in the business.  It goes without saying that JD is the star player from my POV.  He makes it look as joyful as it sounds.

All of the core line up are strong performers: - Jack Stratton, Theo Katzman, Woody Goss, Joe Dart.  Antwaun Stanley occasionally provides a powerful voice that goes well with Theo's.

The flexibility of the line-up guarantees a grand spectacle with various collaborations adding to the novelty.

The most memorable clip for me is where they perform in Dublin and the entire audience sings the bassline to Dean Town as Joe rivets the beat to the floor.  That's a measure of the charisma that surrounds this band.

Thanks for the link Pawel.  That's a line up that I had not previously seen.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

They are brilliant. I saw Vulfpeck live last year, Cory Wong's hilarious solo show this year, and Theo Katzman's solo show with Joe Dart on bass this year too. Although obviously I adore Joe's playing, Theo is the star for me. His drumming, guitar playing, and singing are breathtaking. 

17 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

They are brilliant. I saw Vulfpeck live last year, Cory Wong's hilarious solo show this year, and Theo Katzman's solo show with Joe Dart on bass this year too. Although obviously I adore Joe's playing, Theo is the star for me. His drumming, guitar playing, and singing are breathtaking. 

I won't question your priorities this time because I'd agree with you if I was an ordinary punter.

• Like 1

Just now, SpondonBassed said:

I won't question your priorities this time because I'd agree with you if I was an ordinary punter.

I think I just over-indulged in Joe - I'm pretty sure I watched every available video of Vulfpeck, Vulfpeck live, and Joe Dart's solos, multiple times, the whole time obsessing over his playing. That phase ended after I saw Vulfpeck live last year, and it's nice to have some of my life back :)

21 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

Theo is a star in his solo project. But when they come together as Vulfpeck - that's where the magic happens for me.

9 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

I think I just over-indulged in Joe - I'm pretty sure I watched every available video of Vulfpeck, Vulfpeck live, and Joe Dart's solos, multiple times, the whole time obsessing over his playing. That phase ended after I saw Vulfpeck live last year, and it's nice to have some of my life back :)

No one's going to do you for it.

I understand completely because we've all binged on JD clips.  This is JoeDartChat Basschat after all.

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

No one's going to do you for it.

I understand completely because we've all binged on JD clips.  This is JoeDartChat Basschat after all.

Spare a thought for those of us who literally had never heard of Joe Dart until this morning! He does seem an extremely capable bass player I look forward to discovering more about him. Favourite recordings, clips, transcriptions anyone?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Spare a thought for those of us who literally had never heard of Joe Dart until this morning! He does seem an extremely capable bass player I look forward to discovering more about him. Favourite recordings, clips, transcriptions anyone?

A great show of stamina and one of their most popular tracks - Dean Town.

The rest is really groove'y. I like the ''early'' stuff like ''Beastly'', ''My First Car'', ''It Gets Funkier''... dig in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassApprentice said:

It's strange how much easier it is to watch and learn from a lefty when trying to play along 😄

Right handers can do that just by looking in a mirror.

Heeheehee.  Seriously though it's not as hard as you think if you want to refine your fretting technique (and indeed plec/picking skills) without craning your neck.  Just don't over-think it just as with shaving in the mirror.