Why become a member? ×

A Fender for me at last, a Dimension Standard V HH

Pinball

I played a Dimension 4 a while back and liked it so decided to look for a black or red 5'er and have been looking for one in my budget for at least 6 months! I got there in the end though.

I mainly use active 5 strings but the Dimension Standard V HH is passive, with a cool voice of it's own. It is strong, yet musical and distinct from Jazzers and Precisions. I love it, as it just talks to me and wants to be played! 

I'm still in the honeymoon period as you can tell but I'm pretty blown away to be honest. It handles really well for a five stringer too. It is such a shame that these aren't more common.  

Does anyone else play one of these and if so is it working for you?

Note: Mine is like this.

14102116310358f.thumb.jpg.2a8d1344d317c082b2e8c404342380e8.jpg

Edited by Pinball
  • Like 2

On 13/09/2018 at 12:48, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Very cool. They seem to be a bit of an unappreciated gem. There's a Squier 4 string on here that I've been eyeballing...

Yes the Squires seem really good for the money. I saw a headliner called Ironvolt recently at the Exchange in Bristol and their bassist was using one. It sounded great

I wanted to try a passive bass, which is what I like to record with. The other that I fancied was a G&L Kiloton 5 but I have never seen one of these within my budget.

I'm impressed with the Dimension. Lots to like such as the neck, light weight  sensible truss adjustment (not that I have needed to use it) and cool voice. There is nothing that I dislike so far.

Edited by Pinball

6 hours ago, NickD said:

I've always loved the look of these (in Natural), but never had chance to play one.

Just looking at the dimensions (shorter top horn) I've always suspected a little neck dive... Is this the case or are they fine?

It's feels good to me. It ergonomics seem to suit a higher head position than my Stingray when standing. Nice and confortable

• Like 1

16 hours ago, krispn said:

My buddy got one used recently passive HH. I hope to get a go on it quite soon! 

Cool I'd be interested to hear what others think as there is hardly any info on them out there.. I'm going to try it with my band. I've used a Stringray and ATK recently so this is a totally different beast. I don't expect it to be a replacement but it will be interesting non the less.

Note: I turned up with a fretless 5er one week and got dirty looks all night long heehee

I reckon Fender should have brought out the passive version first to see how the traditionlists found it...

Edited by Pinball

I avoid anything with Fender or Squier on the headstock but I do like the look of these. I hadn't realised that they did them passive (my preference). I'm GAS free at the moment, but these will be on my radar (I like the fact that they are lightweight and not a P or J bass) when GAS strikes again (which it will probably sooner rather than later :)

I absolutely love these. I have a deluxe V HH in natural and a cayenne red elite V HH, so both with the 18v active circuit. I also have a five string HH Sterling and that hardly gets played.  I'm constantly scanning the small ads and eBay to see if any others pop up. 

The compound radius fingerboard and asymmetrical neck are brilliant and the pickups are lovely, although the switching configuration is different to the Sterling and I forget sometimes which is which.  The body has a nice size and weight to it.  The looks are subjective though, especially the pickguard. 

They're discontinued unfortunately as they never really caught on. I had a chat with a guy at Fender and he said it was a real shame as Fender has put a fair amount of effort in to it but it was really difficult to try to get people to buy anything with a Fender logo on it that wasn't a Jazz or Precision. 

Edited by Muppet
  • Like 1

It was trying a deluxe 4 H that gave me the confidence to buy the V Standard. Fender clearly believed in the Dimension, when you see how they spread though the range so quickly. I'd love a deluxe V H for using live but couldn't justify a 2nd unless I sold my other basses.

The active £1000+ market is really tough and overcrowded, with many established names e.g. MM's, Sandbergs, Warwick, G&L etc.

Edited by Pinball

True. These were selling at £1,500-£1,800 and for a non established model I think this was too much for the market. Once you see what you're getting for the money (when compared to a Jazz Deluxe V for example) then the pricing sort of makes sense but people never think of Fender as anything other than Jazz and Precision basses.

You can pick up a very good condition active Dimension V for around £900 which is a lot of bass for the money. I'm looking for a black or white one now. Fender has stopped making Dimension specific parts now too (neck, pickguard etc)