Why become a member? ×

Win A Free Set of NYXL!

D'Addario UK

Playing bass for more than 30 years, mainly 6 strings fretless basses, I've tried almost every strings available on the market, including exposed core and taper core ones, and always came back to the D'Addario XL Nickel Round Wound (EXL170 4 to 6 in my case). I also was a great fan of the Flex Steels, but they disappeared. I've now restrung all my basses with these EXL170 (4 to 6) and must admit it's the best tone I can get.

I was about to put NYXL32130 on my main fretless bass (Leduc Masterpiece MP 628 SF), but was not sure I had to do it because I really love the EXL170-6 tone and feel. But the NYXL32130 will be perfect for my Leduc PAD 6 (all padauk 6 strings fretted bass) as they will highlight the ultra fast response and punch of that wood.

Can't wait to try them.

I currently use either D'Addario EXL 160 & 160S, or Ernie Ball Slinkies in the nasty green packet, as they're the most readily available off-the-shelf sets that come in 50-70-85-105 gauge which is my preferred string size. 

Why do I think that NYXL's might be for me? Well, I've been playing for more than 30 years and have tried many different brand and gauge strings in that time, some cheap, some more costly. And I have come to the conclusion that the choice of string makes very little difference to my sound. No doubt this is anathema to a lot of people reading this and there is a lynch mob gathering at my door, but that's what I believe based on my own experiences :P

For reference, I don't care for the zingy new string sound and I find flats too lifeless. What works for me are played-in roundwounds. I play them for a few hours at home until they lose the new string zing and then they are where I want them, nice and punchy and still more defined than flats but not as sharp as a fresh set. Then they're good for 2 or 3 years of regular gigging before they become too dead for my tastes. I play finger style more or less exclusively with an occasional bit of plectrum work.

So, throw a set of NYXL's my way and prove me wrong :D

Edited by Osiris

I have Picato Flats on my Greg Bennett Semi Acoustic but they are now rare and I am looking for an alternative. On my Fender Aerodyne I have Ernie Ball Hybrids.

I have heard good things about Chromes but I am thinking about going roundwound on both.  A set of NYXLs might be just the ticket.

Edited by Chienmortbb

I currently use Rotosound Swing bass 66 strings.

I'd like a set of D'Addario NYXL because I don't like tuning, I am rubbish at it, I spend ages getting that needle to stay in the middle. I could do with strings that have 131%greater tuning stability :)

Using Rotos on a Jazz I've just acquired, but apparently... and I've heard this on the best authority... D'Addario NYXL are the ONLY bass strings that are GUARANTEED to increase the size of your testicles AND make you attractive to young women REGARDLESS of your age or continence status.

Obviously I'm young, handsome and continent anyway, but who doesn't want bigger balls?? Yes Please!! :D

• Haha 2

I use D'Addario ETB92 tapewounds on my two main basses, having tried a few brands of tapewounds and found the ETB92s most to my taste (good tension balance, nice smooth finish, and respond well to being hit hard for the occasional bit of emphasis).

I've recently bought a Greco bass which I'd like to try roundwounds on (it came strung with D'Addario chromes, as it happens). I was planning on trying a light set of NYXLs based on good experience with the ETB92s, and positive comments on here about the lifespan of the NYXLs. However, the real reason you should give me a free set is that it'll only be slightly late for my birthday 😉

My Warwicks and Vigier have Elixirs because they sound great & last a long time. I’ve still got a NYXL sticker on my rack case from a set I got at a Midlands Bass Bash years ago - liked them on my Shuker (since sold), good sound and tension but really like the long life of the Elixirs.  Can’t remember how long the NYXLs lasted as I normally struggle to remember what day of the week it is but would be interested to try a set of 5 string 45-130s on my Streamer to compare them to the Elixirs. 

Edited by intime-nick

I am already a fully paid up member of the NYXL fan club. I have been waxing lyrical about how good they are on here and to friends so I think you need to send a set to someone who is on the fence and hasn’t tried them yet.

If you have any of those lovely D’Addario mugs going I wouldn’t say no though 😂 my Ernie Ball one looks awful now.

I've been playing for 30 years now and been using D'addarios for about the past 10. Initially using Chromes but since I got my Musicman Sterling I've been using EXLs. I'm currently using the EXL220BT light gauge set which still sound good when the E is dropped to D but I've been thinking about trying the NYXLs as they are brighter and I've found myself looking for a brighter sound of late but don't want steels.

I've also never had a duff string in all of the sets that I have bought over the years and proudly wear my D'addario t-shirt that I got with my players points to most gigs, D'addario clip on tuner at the ready 👍