Why become a member? ×

Random Guitar Builds

Jimothey

Back at work now so these builds can continue, Here’s a quick mock up of how ‘The Bulleit’ might look............

871A2FCB-8BB3-461E-99CC-4389BF456969.thumb.jpeg.0bf90975655e8e2ba5297b72ddba6908.jpeg

08093D72-BFA2-4585-9D0E-B2BE75462D32.thumb.jpeg.f9a8e353cc06f16896604bdc7732eabf.jpeg

I’m not sure if I’m going to relic the hardware now because I kinda like the look of fresh chrome against old wood??...........😀

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

Back at work now so these builds can continue, Here’s a quick mock up of how ‘The Bulleit’ might look............

871A2FCB-8BB3-461E-99CC-4389BF456969.thumb.jpeg.0bf90975655e8e2ba5297b72ddba6908.jpeg

I’m not sure if I’m going to relic the hardware now because I kinda like the look of fresh chrome against old wood??...........😀

Ooh, now that looks ace. No relicing for me, the juxtaposition of the shiny chrome against the distressed body works perfectly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And here’s ‘Ole Smokey’.............😀

D9C5DBCE-7688-40FF-B4CE-CC458C5A886A.thumb.jpeg.0ef97da7f76b70f8aaa7e2937dd0da20.jpeg791B4578-D8CC-4BA5-B51E-25A903810BF3.thumb.jpeg.125af9a64fb1b990a2099603ae889f7f.jpeg

The seller I bought the P90 pickups from sent out the wrong item he sent 4 sets of silver block inlay decals (The pickups are on their way now) so I’m tempted to see how they would look on this build............🤔

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

These look great Jimothy, what flavour wood is scaffolding board? 

I've seen some done on TDPRI where they used reclaimed redwood from barns, easily obtainable in the US and worked very well. 

This neck I used on my last build was from Musikraft and the fingerboard was reclaimed wood from the Coney Island Boardwalk, that totally blew my mind, makes me think of Springsteen or the Drifters or something...….I love the idea, sort of gives your build an extra tie, if you know what I mean. 

I'd like to try one from an old school desk or church pew, a bit of wood with a few stories to tell!DSC02952.thumb.JPG.330e8100d2127e0006f93eb9f72f6fb0.JPG or something

• Like 1

Thanks @rubis the scaffold boards are either Pine or Douglas Fir but they are nice and light

I do like the idea of using reclaimed wood as it is more eco friendly (and generally a lot cheaper!!) and like a couple of the builds on here that used an old piano as it does have a story to tell I would love to be able to say that the scaffold board was used when they renovated Big Ben or something along those lines but alas the only story I can tell is it was stood on by some hairy arsed brickies in a North Wales holiday park...........😂

• Haha 1

Still waiting for my pickups to arrive hopefully should be here in a few days but in the meanwhile I decided to put the block inlay decals on ‘Ole Smokey’ not sure whether to do it on ‘The Bulleit’ as well??.........🤔

D8E3BC78-406A-40AF-801B-4502C590C406.thumb.jpeg.391880520254c047f74679efcb5d5334.jpeg

• Like 1

The dot maple neck didn’t work for me on the LP body, but those blocks just transform it in my eyes, it adds just the right amount of Gibson to make it work. Stick with the dots on the Tele for the same effect from a Fender perspective. IMHO of course.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ezbass said:

The dot maple neck didn’t work for me on the LP body, but those blocks just transform it in my eyes, it adds just the right amount of Gibson to make it work. Stick with the dots on the Tele for the same effect from a Fender perspective. IMHO of course.

That’s what I was thinking, blocks can look nice on a Tele but I think your right the dots suit it better.........😀

34 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

That’s what I was thinking, blocks can look nice on a Tele but I think your right the dots suit it better.........😀

Great minds, etc 😁.

Old Smoky puts me in mind of the Gibbo Marauder, but better looking.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Si600 said:

How resilient are decals on a fingerboard? I would expect the strings to cut through them fairly quickly.

I’ve never had one get damaged yet, TBH unless you push the string so hard that it touches the fretboard then that would be the only way to damage them.......😀

18 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

image.thumb.png.5be4401be74ec99fcf1ebeb4683e16f9.png

I must not press the strings as hard as you then!?! I find that if I press the strings to the fretboard it raises the pitch of the note past what it should be? Maybe it’s bad technique on my part then but I was taught to have a deft touch??.......😕

2 hours ago, Jimothey said:

I must not press the strings as hard as you then!?! I find that if I press the strings to the fretboard it raises the pitch of the note past what it should be? Maybe it’s bad technique on my part then but I was taught to have a deft touch??.......😕

That is a guitar I've had for over 36 years...