Why become a member? ×

TC BG250 all dressed up

Vinny

4 hours ago, Painy said:

Nice job! 

Funnily enough I've actually been considering doing exactly this recently (and even in roughly the same colour) so that it matches the rest of my rig. 

Any chance of a link to where you got the tolex from at all? 

I got it from a local place, Abakhan fabrics, as a roll end (3 sqm ish) for about a fiver. Could just about get 2 more cabs out of what's left.

Edited by Vinny
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RichardH said:

Looks great. Great price on the covering - how tough does it feel? 

Much more so than the original stuff as it's a lot thicker, but certainly not 'industrial tough' if you know what I mean. That probably didn't help, did it? It's got a very slightly springy/rubbery feel compared to the solid feeling of the old stuff.

Forgot about the bamboo!

In the eighties I had a Yamaha G100 guitar combo, which I made a bamboo grille for. A mate got me a sheet of the stuff, and it needed soaking in hot water where it had to bend around the grille frame. I used an industrial gun tacker to staple the bamboo on the reverse side.I must say it looked awesome! If you can find some, give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...

Cracking job and now you've got me thinking. Quick question, when you removed the grill as well as the screws did it have some non-setting adhesive gunk securing it as well?

I'm chasing a strange kind of vibration in mine. Only happens on certain notes and when I removed the grill it had the aforementioned gunk holding it on as well as screws. Wondering if that is how they leave the factory or has the previous owner been chasing the same problem.