Why become a member? ×

(READ IF YOU HAVE A) Fender '61 Flea Bass (Woes)

hiram.k.hackenbacker

I didn't think it was worth doing a 'Kinda New Old Bass' thread (or K.N.O.B. for short 🙄), so I'll just add to this instead.

As you know, I went up to Status HQ late last week to drop off the Fender Flea. Dawn and I discussed what would be the best neck option for this bass. My initial thought was to get a maple coloured graphite neck as it would go with the exposed wood in the relic paint job and would keep the whole thing quite light. There was also the choice of blocks, dots or plain as well as having a black neck with the same options. I'm hopeless when it come to choices, especially when you can't actually see them attached to the bass. A deciding factor was that Rob had a black neck which had been commissioned by a mystery artist. This neck hadn't been used for whatever reason and after some enquiries it turned out that it was no longer required. I hadn't actually seen it prior to agreeing to have it, but I was sucked in by the fact that it was blank like ebony fingerboard on my 'Starry Night' Stingray.

I visited Status HQ this morning to collect my Fender Flea. I was greeted by Dawn who showed me through to 'that room', which if you've been in it, you will know that there are more than a few things to look at in there! 

The 'Fleatus' was in the rack by the work bench, along with a myriad of other bodies, necks and complete instruments. Dawn removed it from the rack and laid it on the bench and said 'I really think the black works'. On seeing it, I could only agree with her that it had been the right decision. There was a little residue left on the headstock, so Dawn went to get Rob who came through and removed it. We had quite a chat about the old neck which was basically firewood at best. Looking down the old one you can see a massive bow in the last few frets at the nut end. Probably more than any truss rod could cope with. 

The new neck is very slightly deeper and as a result, is very slightly heavier, but the whole bass is nicely balanced and plays beautifully. I have no plans to replace the tuners with lighter ones as it sits very nicely on the strap. The sound is definitely different and this was to be expected. It's a bit difficult to describe, but overall it's less warm than the wood neck, but has more bite. Also, the tone controls seem to offer more flexibility in range than they did before. It also sustains forever. I haven't had the chance to put it through my gig rig yet, but from what I've heard through headphones on my Bass Buddy, it's going to sound great. I might even swap the pick guard back to the original and use it with my 80's band at the gig on Saturday.

I'm super impressed with not only the neck, but the level of fabulous service I received from Rob and Dawn at Status. The only downside is that I now have massive GAS for another Status. They sure do make some incredible basses.

Just to avoid the :useless: emoji's....

fullsizeoutput_1938.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_193a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1934.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_193c.jpeg

IMG_7099.JPG

IMG_7101.JPG

• Like 10

On 18/09/2018 at 17:08, timhiggins said:

I would be interested to know how the graphite neck will affect the tone as i thought it might make things quite a bit brighter

do status no longer sell wood necks ?

I asked Rob on your behalf and the answer is ‘No’. They just make graphite necks now.

• Like 1

Nice.

Did you go for Luminlay side markers?

It's interesting to hear that you've got a better range of tone adjustment with it being passive.  When you've played it in well enough I'd like to find out from you if it is a viable alternative to converting a bass from passive to active, given that you have the pickups you like to start with.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BreadBin said:

That does look good :)

I'd be interested in trying to rescue your old neck...

Thanks for the offer and you may well get a chance to look at it, but I’m going to have to hang onto it for the time being, just in case Fender decide they want to get actively involved 🙄 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Nice.

Did you go for Luminlay side markers?

It's interesting to hear that you've got a better range of tone adjustment with it being passive.  When you've played it in well enough I'd like to find out from you if it is a viable alternative to converting a bass from passive to active, given that you have the pickups you like to start with.

Well, that neck wasn’t made to my spec, it was one that they already had, so no Luminlay’s. 

The bass always was passive and it just seems to me that the difference between the limits of tone fully on and fully off seem to be wider. Difficult to say really without another Flea Jazz to compare it directly to. 

If you’re going to go to the trouble of converting an active bass to passive, personally I would seriously consider adapting it so that you can have both active and passive switching options. I have a couple of basses wired like that and they’re great.

22 minutes ago, White Cloud said:

Apologies for being "that guy" but personally this just doesn't work for me aesthetically at all. That's just my tuppence worth though. I'll bet however that it is extremely functional.

All the very best with it!

No need to apologise mate. There are loads of people who didn’t like the Flea in its original spec 😀. I’m just happy I can play it again.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cato said:

I like the new aesthetic a lot.

The vintage reliced body with the hi tech neck give it a sort of steampunk vibe.

I'm sure it sounds and plays fantastically well too.

Yes, I don’t think it would work quite as well for me with new shiny tuners and a pristine shell pink body. Bit of an odd contrast going on, which I like 😀

31 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Well, that neck wasn’t made to my spec, it was one that they already had, so no Luminlay’s. 

The bass always was passive and it just seems to me that the difference between the limits of tone fully on and fully off seem to be wider. Difficult to say really without another Flea Jazz to compare it directly to. 

If you’re going to go to the trouble of converting an active bass to passive, personally I would seriously consider adapting it so that you can have both active and passive switching options. I have a couple of basses wired like that and they’re great.

I assume it has plain white dots then.

I was speaking from the point of view of a passive bass owner wanting a bit more tonal choice without going active and needing batteries.  My Vantage fretless would be a possible candidate.  I'd imagine the composite neck would expose some interesting overtones even with flats on.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

It works for me on several levels.

While I don't mind signature models, or distressed models, as such, the Flea did buck that; Fender could have just put out a nice, pristine shell pink homage to an early 60s Jazz, but clearly felt the Flea was the better option.

Anyhow, neck problems or otherwise, this has turned out really well.  Reckon it actually looks better than the original. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I assume it has plain white dots then.

I was speaking from the point of view of a passive bass owner wanting a bit more tonal choice without going active and needing batteries.  My Vantage fretless would be a possible candidate.  I'd imagine the composite neck would expose some interesting overtones even with flats on.

Yes, I think you’re right. It could give it a more open sound, but I don’t think you would know for sure unless you bit the bullet.

Yes, plain white dots on mine 👍

• Thanks 1