Why become a member? ×

Does anyone actually LIKE jazz?

Cicero

I like some jazz, in the same way I like some metal, some pop, some rock etc. etc.

The stuff I personally struggle with is the more atonal jazz with very 'unusual' note choices and rhythms.  I guess I'm pretty much in the trad jazz camp.  

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Don't really get on with dinner jazz and smoooooth stuff - that's just a vague hint of jazz for people who don't really like music but can't cope with silence.

Don't knock it. I was making quite a decent living with it at one time. Still do the (very) occasional gig.

Guitar, amp, chorus pedal (very important, that), quiet corner, nobody really paying any attention so you can play pretty much whatever you like for as long as you like provided it sounds vaguely 'jazzy': you can even have a music stand and nobody so much as raises an eyebrow. Decent money AND you don't have to share it with anybody. Where's the downside? :)

• Like 2

Yep, but I seem to prefer either the late 50s 'Kind of blue era stuff, or the very modern stuff like Red Snapper (jazz/breakbeat?), E.S.T.  Get The Blessing and GoGo Penguin.

Which reminds me....must buy tickets for GoGo  Penguin in November...

Edited by TheRev

I've always been partial to Django and some others in that tradition, the jazz funk of The Brecker Brothers, Crusaders, Jon Scofield etc and odd jazz tunes like Sidewinder by Lee Morgan and a couple of tunes of Freddie Hubbard's Red Clay. But bebop, hard bop , riverboat type jazz , big band jazz and atonal stuff ...nah! Do like a fair bit of electronica with jazz influences like St Germain, Jazzanova, Cinematic Orchestra and Amon Tobin

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TheRev said:

Yep, but I seem to prefer either the late 50s 'Kind of blue era stuff, or the very modern stuff like Red Snapper (jazz/breakbeat?), E.S.T.  Get The Blessing and GoGo Penguin.

Which reminds me....must buy tickets for GoGo  Penguin in November...

I'm hoping to see them at the Albert Hall, brilliant group.

In my old band the guitarist said early on that he would play anything but jazz, the reason? "jazz is just wrong". Horses for courses I guess.

13 hours ago, Cicero said:

Let this be a safe haven for sharing your love of all things jazz-tastic 😎 

Just to get it out of the way nice and early, here's the impossible Giant Steps:

From the same LP...

On a scale of one to chuffing superb, how chuffing superb is Paul Chambers' bassline on this one?

Jazz isn’t big in my playlists, although some bluesy jazz gets my thumbs up - Crusaders etc. Larry Carlton is doing a gig in Hull ( I know...) at the beginning of October and am thinking I’ll give that a go. Probably be a bit out of my comfort zone in parts, but chance to see a world class player just down the road from me so I think I’ll be going. 

Done a fair few gigs over the years where the booker wants a small jazz ensemble and after a few tunes the audience come up and ask for ‘Brown eyed girl’ etc ! My guitarist friend can play jazz all day and make it sound wonderful, so makes it a lot easier for a non jazzer like me to follow his lead. It’s taught me a lot too.