Why become a member? ×

Just about the best Bass and drum sound...

julesb

...I've ever heard. Obviously for this style of music but the recording is incredible to my ears. Pekka Pohjola (who I confess to having never heard of before) on Bass. Brilliant playing throughout the whole album. I thought it was a Pbass but from what I can gather he almost always played a Jazz...Hope you all enjoy as much as I have.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

For those supposedly 'allergic' to 'jazz', maybe there's hope of a remedy here..? Compare and contrast with the Mingus stuff posted elsewhere here (but not far enough away, in my view. ¬¬ ..). Good Stuff happening there, from all concerned. Nice; very nice. B|

Slightly rougher around the edges, but this gets me harking back to Meh Teh Cho, with the pumping off-rhythm persistent bass riffs, deceptively simple. I think that bassist was Polish, if memory doesn't betray me.

Found him; it's Boris Kulenovic

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

For those supposedly 'allergic' to 'jazz', maybe there's hope of a remedy here..? Compare and contrast with the Mingus stuff posted elsewhere here (but not far enough away, in my view. ¬¬ ..). Good Stuff happening there, from all concerned. Nice; very nice. B|

Slightly rougher around the edges, but this gets me harking back to Meh Teh Cho, with the pumping off-rhythm persistent bass riffs, deceptively simple. I think that bassist was Polish, if memory doesn't betray me.

Found him; it's Boris Kulenovic

The vocals lost me at around 2:35 I'm afraid but the groove is cool.

6 minutes ago, julesb said:

The vocals lost me at around 2:35 I'm afraid but the groove is cool.

What..? Not a polyglot..? Oh dear... Maybe best appreciated 'live', in any case. As with much opera, the lyrics pass over my head, but the overall poesy, musicality, feeling comes across just the same. I imagine that much of the planet are foxed by the actual words sung in much modern music (and would maybe not be so keen on a lot of it if all was plain..!). The power of purely instrumental stuff is its universal appeal, but if one treats the human voice as an instrument, independently from the words themselves, there's a lot to be garnered, often enough, whatever the language.
(That being said, it doesn't work for me with Kylie Minogue..! :/ )

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dad3353 said:

What..? Not a polyglot..? Oh dear... Maybe best appreciated 'live', in any case. As with much opera, the lyrics pass over my head, but the overall poesy, musicality, feeling comes across just the same. I imagine that much of the planet are foxed by the actual words sung in much modern music (and would maybe not be so keen on a lot of it if all was plain..!). The power of purely instrumental stuff is its universal appeal, but if one treats the human voice as an instrument, independently from the words themselves, there's a lot to be garnered, often enough, whatever the language.
(That being said, it doesn't work for me with Kylie Minogue..! :/ )

It was more the unhinged aspect of it to be honest. I'm a very open listener. Anyway, back to Olli...😀

• Haha 1

On 11/09/2018 at 20:18, julesb said:

...I've ever heard. Obviously for this style of music but the recording is incredible to my ears. Pekka Pohjola (who I confess to having never heard of before) on Bass. Brilliant playing throughout the whole album. I thought it was a Pbass but from what I can gather he almost always played a Jazz...Hope you all enjoy as much as I have.

If you like the drums and bass on that, you'll love this (if you don't already know it):