Why become a member? ×

Jack Bruce

rogerstodge

I very nearly interviewed Jack. It was so close to happening that I had his home address and the date was planned to meet with my camera team and his publicist. Sadly, just a day before he had to pull out of the interview. Even more sadly, soon after Jack passed away. 

• Sad 4

13 minutes ago, julesb said:

His early solo albums are astonishingly good. Criminally overlooked.

Songs for a tailor

Harmony Row

Out of the storm

i no longer have any albums, if you were to recommend his best album, which would it be ?

On a gig, in any genre, JB always gave 110%.

I bought Songs For  A Taylor and Harmony Row (he started to lose me after that) and saw JB with Tony Williams Lifetime, at the Marquee, and with John Walters big band all over London (all exciting gigs). Didn't buy any Cream records though. After seeing the gigs the recordings didn't do them justice.

He was my inspiration to learn Bass. Although not a massive cream fan compared to some, sunshine of your love is just epic. I remember as a kid in the late seventies seeing some old footage of him playing it (may have been for the beeb but not sure), with Ginger really going for it and it was amazing. The first bassline I learned was that one, sadly a couple of decades later than I wish it had been.

Jack Bruce was probably my biggest influence yrs ago when i was learning. Over The Top and few other session albums he did were fantastic.

Had the good fortune to see him at our local pub venue (held 300 people) during the 80's with Clem Clempson on guitar think it was simply called Jack Bruce and Friends tour.

He was so loud the local police station a mile away complained of the noise. It was a summer evening and the venue had all the windows open. They had to close the windows but Jack was just phenomenal on bass and vocals. Using his Warwick fretless at that time too if i remember right. I have some of the official pics that were taken at the gig.

Also great with B.L.T. Bought that album and it was quite a powerful trio.

Dave  

Love JB.

There's a great CD/stream/download called 'Spirit'. Takes you through a lot of BBC live stuff right through the 70's. Really good, and broad as well. Bass work is, as you'd expect, a lesson from start to finish.

I've been working my way through his solo records since I first heard it. Up until that point, I knew about Cream and his early work, but was quite in the dark about how much he'd packed in since. Very eye-opening.

I'm a big fan of his 'How's Tricks' album. The title track alone, is sublime.

• Like 2

Recorded this concert off the BBC onto Betamax (!) back in the day and watched it endlessly. Sadly the tape and the machine are long gone....

I think he was the first fretless player I'd ever really listened to. I remember his tone freaked me out at the time.....