Why become a member? ×

Nut and Saddle Sanding Carriage

fleabag

If you fitted a couple of nuts a week it would be a worthwhile investment but I’m in the same boat as @honza992 a piece of MDF with a rebate does me fine for the few times I need one. I’ve looked at them on the StrwMac site and thought it would be dead easy to make one out of derlin or MDF and some skateboard bearings 

anything from America is just silly money with VAT and import duty on top of shipping 

Edited by Christine

9 hours ago, Christine said:

anything from America is just silly money with VAT and import duty on top of shipping 

It's not being told that there will be significant additional charges until you've more or less committed to the purchase that has put my housemate off purchasing anything from the 'states.

The sanctions have nothing to do with it.  It's nothing to do with the American suppliers in fact, it's our lot who tell you about the charges later!  He's not bothered who's loading the price, he just filters out all US sellers in his search results.

Gee.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

It's not being told that there will be significant additional charges until you've more or less committed to the purchase that has put my housemate off purchasing anything from the 'states.

The sanctions have nothing to do with it.  It's nothing to do with the American suppliers in fact, it's our lot who tell you about the charges later!  He's not bothered who's loading the price, he just filters out all US sellers in his search results.

Gee.

Exactly but it doesn’t make it any cheaper whoever does it. A recent order from StewMac was about £80 add £23 shipping and £37 charges at this side and that £80 of goods became £140. 

What we been is more people making their own guitars/basses on this side to make it worthwhile British suppliers stocking what we need

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Christine said:

What we been need is more people making their own guitars/basses on this side to make it worthwhile British suppliers stocking what we need

I have amended your quote with what I assume was meant.

While the the Captains of the British Retail Industry are busy crying about Brexit have they actually taken the time to look at that as an opportunity?  It doesn't look much like they have.  I'm sure there are exceptions that do not get favourable coverage simply because it isn't click-baity enough.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I have amended your quote with what I assume was meant.

While the the Captains of the British Retail Industry are busy crying about Brexit have they actually taken the time to look at that as an opportunity?  It doesn't look much like they have.  I'm sure there are exceptions that do not get favourable coverage simply because it isn't click-baity enough.

Phones!! 

On 11/09/2018 at 17:10, fleabag said:

Wonder if this tool is useful for our tame bass builder gurus ?

https://tonetechluthiersupplies.co.uk/nut-and-saddle-sanding-carriage.html

I'm not sure that the full and comprehensive description of how the product is used and the essential dimensions to assess what it will or won't do, that are (not) supplied on tonetech's website, will convince many to part with that amount of cash. ;)

Edited by Andyjr1515