Why become a member? ×

FS: Warwick Corvette Hot Rod LTD 5-String - AKA “Hot Blond” Flamed MAPLE *soundsamples* - GONE, please remove!
£1000

noise_art

Guest Marcoelwray
5 minutes ago, noise_art said:

Back to the point, I know that maybe I am a little "unknown" [...]

I personaly don't give a ****, you are Polski bassista.

I will post a video tonight of my Streamer, in one -video- post, I can say much more instead of 224 posts (even if, you got free bumps )

10 minutes ago, Marcoelwray said:

I personaly don't give a ****, you are Polski bassista.

I will post a video tonight of my Streamer, in one -video- post, I can say much more instead of 224 posts (even if, you got free bumps )

Sure thing! I'll check it out with pleasure!

29 minutes ago, Grangur said:

Love the sound of the Corvette, @noise_art. What strings are you using?

Love the groove too. Your playing is cool. Many thanks

I use random strings mate. I don't really care much ;) I am not changing strings until I am giggin' or doing studio work.
I would say that I really like GHS because these are "soft" even old.
and this Red Corvette has Boomers.
In the LTD I have ...Warwicks Red Label and I think that it's better to have 5packs of these than one Elixirs (SIC!) :)

To be honest everything depends on what type of sweat you have. I am wearing out ErnieBalls in 2hours. But steel Sadowsky lasts longer, are more resistable.
So I like GHS Boomers, Sadowsky and ...Warwick Red Label (but these wicks are worse now that I've used in a past sadly)

Edited by noise_art
  • Thanks 1

Guest Marcoelwray

Best strings are cheaper ones. Warwick red & black label, Fender, just the Black nylons I use LaBella and they are way too expensive. But I only play stainless steel ones, I don't know about nickel wound much.

Kalium strings on Warwick are awesome, the best strings I have played even on other basses. I don't use it anymore just because I'm in France and the chipping coast too much but you have to try these guys and it's not expensive at all 👍

Guest Marcoelwray
2 minutes ago, Djooh said:

Kalium strings on Warwick are awesome, the best strings I have played even on other basses. I don't use it anymore just because I'm in France and the chipping coast too much but you have to try these guys and it's not expensive at all 👍

Et elles viennent d'où ? Jamais entendu parler, mais toujours ouvert aux tests !

Uk version;

And from where they are coming from? Never heard of these, but I'd like to try them.

First of all, thanx for video, I appreciate it! :) 

I had Thumb BO bass for "the Insolent" release of Antigama, I am missing it a bit! It has Thumb-NTIV pickups placement but had different vibe (darker).
I know the V string bolt on well too.
The streamer sounds like a good streamer LX should be sounding. + it has an ovankol neck. It has the same "puffy" lows and It's a quality bass! 

4 hours ago, Marcoelwray said:

Et elles viennent d'où ? Jamais entendu parler, mais toujours ouvert aux tests !

Uk version;

And from where they are coming from? Never heard of these, but I'd like to try them.

USA, that's why the shipping coast too much, and now I miss these strings 😪

Guest Marcoelwray
5 hours ago, noise_art said:

Ovankol neck has this "spring" in tone that I am missing since I sold thumb bolt on! :)❤️

For having done a bass with it, and work with it several times, THIS WOOD SMELLS LITERALLY LIKE SH*T.

But it's awesome indeed.

Guest Marcoelwray
Just now, noise_art said:

haha, I prefer ovankol instead of wenge, but this red one corvette is wenge/ash and plays well :)
Wenge sounds warm and puffy, whereas ovankol is fast and "springy" :)

All is a matter of taste and particular band though! :)

I wouldn't say Wengé sounds warm..... At all...

Guest Marcoelwray
2 minutes ago, Grangur said:

This is a "breath of fresh air" @noise_art, @Marcoelwray. So many folk go on about the tone-wood in the body. Surely, isn't there more chance of the neck wood having a variance in the resonance?

That's all a debate, my friend.

I'd go for : "a good construction, body, neck & fingerfoard woods are important. but pickups too. as the frets… , other stuff are useless (expensive bridge, 100£ nut, 28 neck laminations, …)"

@Grangur in my opinion body just doesn't play.
the body can help to achieve something like "taste", what means, if you have alder body from a quality wood it should sound like "mid-growling", "butter" or sth. 
But to my ears the neck is a foundation of sound. The body could help only.
So if the bass has shi***y neck, there's no way to improve the sound instead.
The construction matters but I prefer bolt-ons as these having strong attack.

• Like 1

In the body, I think the most important thing is the fit of the neck in the pocket. Comfort is important as is "how it makes you feel". If you feel good about it, it will affect your own mood. But I don't see how a slab of material 300x450mm and 45mm thick is going to resonate that much. Especially if you're looking for a difference by having burl wood tops 10mm thick.

There has to be more chance of resonation variance in a piece of wood 550x40x25mm.

I like through necks. I think this is the ultimate in having a good neck/pocket join. So the resonance can carry down and it might affect the body length a bit. But strings, pickups and positioning of the pups is important.

Interested, @noise_art to hear about your like of bolt-on necks adding attack? I guess this because it may cause the strength in the note to die quicker immediately after the string is plucked, maybe? 

@Marcoelwray, I have played about with bridges on some basses and changing from a plastic nut on a Warwicks to the brass Just-a-Nut 3 and I did find these made a small difference. But then when changing the Warwick nuts, this has been when the side tabs were broken - so not good nuts.

@Grangur to give you a better explanation of my point of view, I'd paste this:

There was "famous" experiment done by Fodera, they built three basses from *exact* the same piece of wood.
You can hear the conclusion, the NTB sounds weak (to my personal taste) ;)

According to this I played on some Foderas in my life, but only two or three were "worth" that money - it's another story ;) 
Personally I prefer bolt-on construction as it has the strongest (punchy) attack. Trully said it does not matter really when the instrument is involved in a band (some people sayin' this shi**y myth that "brass nut is better" or some minor improvements can be distinctive at all). 
In my opinion the bass guitar just needs to be judged in a band-context, because we're a part of a whole "picture" of this painting called "song"

Edited by noise_art

Guest Marcoelwray

@Grangur On my "Amani 5" prototype I mounted a Göldo bridge, it costed me like 25£. It sounds like a dream. I think we can discuss 10 years about such a subject... A bass sound good, or doesn't, depending "we-don't-know-what"

51 minutes ago, Marcoelwray said:

A bass sound good, or doesn't, depending "we-don't-know-what"

@Marcoelwray I have to disagree with that. Certainly we cannot classify the wood in order to find the best one. And yes - most of luthiers or widely "guitar makers" (because it seems to be not "a craftmanship" anymore rather than when someone calls himself as "the luthier" is rather "a carpenter" indeed) just don't pay much attention to the wood.
And it's sad also we can see this - quality instruments cost much, these instruments have a "quality look" (or simply looks attractive) but the sound is just a different pair of shoes.
They justify this point as "good wood should cost/Crisis in Africa/Environment" but as we all know - new models are still present at the market etc.
So it's a simple thing: marketing costs, production costs are getting lower whereas the final product needs to be more expensive. That's a bigger issue.

Edited by noise_art