Why become a member? ×

Best Budget OD/Distortion?

thisisswanbon

3 hours ago, dudewheresmybass said:

for a timmy type sound - the v1 danelectro transparent overdrive is great and keenly priced.

the mojo was ok but I found it a little farty for my taste

I recently picked up both the joyo OJ and the Orange burst. 

Both are bloody good pedals for the outlay.

To be honest I have hardly looked at any drive pedals since I bought them - in particular the burst. I have had compliments wherever I have used it, saying that the bass sound has so much authority and substance to it

I had the Pure Sky which was great but had to let it go because it had a slight bass cut at certain settings. How does the Orange Burst compare? 

22 hours ago, dudewheresmybass said:

for a timmy type sound - the v1 danelectro transparent overdrive is great and keenly priced.

the mojo was ok but I found it a little farty for my taste

I recently picked up both the joyo OJ and the Orange burst. 

Both are bloody good pedals for the outlay.

To be honest I have hardly looked at any drive pedals since I bought them - in particular the burst. I have had compliments wherever I have used it, saying that the bass sound has so much authority and substance to it

I really like that Orange Burst too.

I have one of those early Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrives. I don't use it much, mostly because I find the knobs on the back a pain to deal with... but the few times I looked at it and thought "I'm going to sell this, but first, let's have a little play" I ended up changing my mind and keeping it. I prefer it on guitar 'though, but it's really nice for low gain bass sounds too.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The59Sound said:

I had the Pure Sky which was great but had to let it go because it had a slight bass cut at certain settings. How does the Orange Burst compare? 

I find the Orange Burst has a very slight low end loss too... but it's very very slight and I think it works well with bass. I have let many pedals go because of the bass loss, but this one manages to pass the mcnach threshold ;)

• Like 1

On 11/09/2018 at 11:03, Al Krow said:

This?

I have one of these. Pretty cool sounding on bass, despite a little bit of low end loss, still useful.

There's also the Mosky Black Rat for about £17, again in a similar compact form, supposedly based on the Rat. I received mine today and has the same slight bass loss but still usable. It has two modes: vintage and turbo. I prefer the vintage, it's smoother, and its sound actually overlaps a lot with the Hustle Drive. On Turbo mode, I prefer it with low gain, as it gets a little too 'raspy' for my liking (with a Stingray) when the gain is high.

I still think the Joyo Ultimate Overdrive is the nicest most versatile cheap unit. Using the mids on my onboard preamp you can sort of control how smooth the overdrive gets... 

• Like 1

But... there's a pedal that has surprised me a lot recently: the Nobsound (I know 😛 ) Little Bear G3...

Less than £40, it's a little quirky in its design with a valve that actually seems to do something and with a larger footprint than most other pedals... but it sounds really good.

Although the (sometimes cryptic) instructions state you should use at least a 350mA capable power supply, it seems to work with less. I tried it on the 250mA output of my Voodoo Power 2+ power supply, and also on one of the 100mA outputs... and there's little difference. Actually maybe a bit more gain and compressed on the lower power output and maybe a bit quieter but the level control adjusts easily for that. I even tried it with a 9V battery on an adaptor and still works reasonably well, although I suspect the battery would not last long). 

The videos on YouTube are pretty dire... if I had watched them before I bought the pedal, I would not have bothered.

Pretty cool little pedal...

71JvXHkr-IL._SL1200_.jpg

On ‎04‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 01:08, mcnach said:

I have one of these. Pretty cool sounding on bass, despite a little bit of low end loss, still useful.

There's also the Mosky Black Rat for about £17, again in a similar compact form, supposedly based on the Rat. I received mine today and has the same slight bass loss but still usable. It has two modes: vintage and turbo. I prefer the vintage, it's smoother, and its sound actually overlaps a lot with the Hustle Drive. On Turbo mode, I prefer it with low gain, as it gets a little too 'raspy' for my liking (with a Stingray) when the gain is high.

I still think the Joyo Ultimate Overdrive is the nicest most versatile cheap unit. Using the mids on my onboard preamp you can sort of control how smooth the overdrive gets... 

I have one of these too and I've recently discovered the Valeton FP 10 which is a buffered preamp/boost pedal. It replaces any low end loss on pedals like the Hustle and sounds fab on bass. The only thing I've found with the Hustle is that it's a bit 'gainy' and prone to feedback issues but it's just a question of reigning it in a bit and I've found it works quite nicely when stacked with something else. I have it running after the SVT patch on a Zoom MS60B which sounds pretty good.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Japhet said:

I have one of these too and I've recently discovered the Valeton FP 10 which is a buffered preamp/boost pedal. It replaces any low end loss on pedals like the Hustle and sounds fab on bass. The only thing I've found with the Hustle is that it's a bit 'gainy' and prone to feedback issues but it's just a question of reigning it in a bit and I've found it works quite nicely when stacked with something else. I have it running after the SVT patch on a Zoom MS60B which sounds pretty good.

stacking overdrives...

I've been having fun stacking 3 pedals together in combinations or all three... I really don't need that array of sounds in my bands but... I wish I did to justify buying a little programmable looper like the Mooer L6...

Add overdrives, then induce feedback by placing the bass against the speaker and turning up the mids on the onboard preamp... controllable feedback bliss :D

Edited by mcnach
  • Like 1

That Little Bear G3... Black with black knobs just doesn't work for me. It looks good but not very good in terms of visibility. So I put a new set of knobs on it... A little too 'markbassy' but very easy to see, which is the point. Here's a couple of pictures, including one next to other pedals to give a better idea of its size:

20181005_200257.jpg?dl=1

20181005_200421.jpg?dl=1

• Like 1