Why become a member? ×

During what years and variants did Fender offer the Jaguar in Olympic White?

Bassmingo

Since the new player Jaguar series was launched, I'm a bit confused by the lack of colour options available. 

I know the Jaguar was once available in Olympic White, but I'd like to know more detail. Specifically, I'm curious about the non-short scale, PJ config without all the switching options. 

When was it introduced and when was it discontinued?

Was It MIA? MIM? CIJ?

Thanks in advance. 

img_0510__1_.jpg

Edited by Bassmingo

From my limited knowledge, just to get things going.

The Jaguar bass first came as a Crafted In Japan (CIJ) instrument, it was a Jazz bass with all the switches, it came in various colours, Fiesta red being one. IDiscontinued.

Then came the Made In America (MIA), or US standard, model. It was a PJ configuration, with all the switches and it came in Olympic white, some red (mystic red I think) and sunburst. Discontinued.

Then there are the Made In Mexico (MIM) ones, with knobs only, no switches. That’s the ones you are interested in, but I don’t know much about them. They were PJ, came in different scales and colours. They were still in production and have been replaced by the Player range then.

And then lots of Squiers.

• Like 1

The MIM models came shortly after the American ones were discontinued (2015). So they probably started selling either in late '15 or 2016. 

The first iteration (MIM Jaguar Standard) came in OLYMPIC WHITE, some shade of grey and another colour I can't remember.

This new Player Series (2018) comes in Tidepool Blue, Sage Green and some kind of red.

So the olympic white Jaguar you are searching was made from 2015 to late 2017 approx. and there should be some in stores right now. And if you find one they definitely wanna get rid of it so you can get some good prices.

The American model also had an olympic white colour with tortoise pickguard, so there's both versions in OL.

Edited by kyuuga

22 hours ago, Bassmingo said:

Interesting. The reason I ask is that the current touring bassist for ghost is using what looks to be a MIM jag in white. I'm quite surprised it's not MIA Ghoul-water-bassist-1.jpg?resize=696,464

That looks exactly like the MIM Standard Jaguar bass who was on the market between 2016-ish and early 2018. There's an added knob on top, probably for pickup switching (I think?) but other than that it looks stock.

Why are you surprised it's not MIA?

16 minutes ago, Bassmingo said:

It's actually not a switch, just a pick stuck in the pickguard. :)

I just assumed a band of that stature would choose MIA's. Not that there's anything wrong with MIM's mind. 

Oh right, my bad, the lightning threw me off.

You'd be surprised at how many famous bands use lower priced models. Ghost isn't a terribly rich band and I'm sure their bassist earns enough for a living but when your tour through so many places it's much better to bring a medium-budget, reliable bass rather than a higher-end because things can, and probably will, get damaged. Besides a MIM sounds as good as a MIA and with just a few upgrades probably even better.

• 2 months later...

So, I've been casually looking around for one of these Jags since I started this thread. during my searches, I've found them to be fairly rare. This variation wasn't that popular, and the white even less so. I couldn't import from the US due to cites, and there didn't seem to be any in Europe. 

So I'm casually browsing the site of a local shop a few weeks back, and there one is. The exact one I'm looking for. New old stock. Yesterday I went and checked it out and he's had it in stock for about a year (he claims) despite it having a 2015 serial number. It played and sounded pretty well, but will need a setup tweak to suit my style. 

He wanted €799 for it, but when I countered with the fact that the new player series were at a €749 RRP and this is essentially "last years model" he didn't argue when I offered him €700 for it.  I popped a holding deposit on it and will pick it up when I scrape together the rest of the cash. It's exactly the one I was looking for and I think he was glad to finally sell it. 

So now that I own two white basses (I already have a 2005 standard P) can I still really say that I don't like white basses?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, this week I picked it up.

This is the first new instrument I've bought in close to 20 years, having wheeled and dealed in used gear for a long time. I must say that I'm impressed with the build quality. I love the fact the back of the neck is satin, as I've been moving away from sticky glosses for the past while. After a quick setup, I've got it close to where I want it. It's a little raspy in places but I'm sure with a bit of tweaking that will pass. 

Sound wise it falls somewhere between my stock 2004 MIM P and my Parts Jazz (with 75RI pickups). It certainly sounds warmer and less aggressive than my P. I'm not blown away when the Jazz pickup is soloed, but the P soloed, both on full, or the jazz backed off a little is to my liking. This is all just going straight into my DAW and back on headphones mind, as I'll be trying it in rehearsal later this week.

The only slight concern I have is the G saddle is pulling down a bit (as in to the floor in playing position) but I'm considering swapping the stock bridge on my P to a high mass, so I may do it here too. I'm also itching to try GZR's on my P so I may put a set in this too. 

Another touch I really like is the headstock. It just has "Fender" and "Jaguar Bass" on it. Very minimal and elegant. 

All in all, I'm happy. I figured I'd be doing some modding, so I'm not disappointed. I'll give it a honeymoon first though.

Now a couple of pics, including one with my P for comparison. 

IMG_20181211_100204.jpg

IMG_20181210_222306.jpg

• Like 1