Why become a member? ×

High tension VS low tension

fleabag

What is the tone difference between them,  all things being equal.

Lots of different aspects of strings always seem to affect the tone of a string - hex core, round core ( DR sunbeams ) ,  nickel winding , stainless winding,  ad inf.

Is there a general feature that determines high tension ?  EG always have hex core or must have stainless winding etc ?

I wanted to have a smack around on HT strings to see if i get on with them.  My pref. is nickel, so i'd be looking for a set of that nature

So, what tone difference can i expect , if it's possible to say ?

Edited by fleabag

Thanks guys.   Unfortunately,  after 3 days with no posts, i bought some Chromes from PawelG so i hope they're what i'm looking for, which was high tension flats that were not too dull and thumpy.

I already have set of Roto 77 one of my basses and they were ace but thought i'd like to try another make. Chromes are well liked on BC

We'll see how they go

Edited by fleabag

Chromes are not as high tension as Roto flats. Chromes have a similar tension to XLs in the same gauge but less flex. 

A lot of people perceive flexibility as tension, the less flex, the more tension. That's why flats get a bad rep for high tension - they're not. It's just the way the string is constructed.

Nearly all flats are hexcore. TIs and La Bella Low Tension Flats are roundcore and very low gauges, hence their low tension and high flexability. 

• Thanks 1

I just can't get on with low tension, high flexibility, floppy, call it what you want strings. 

I have Chromes on P bass and like them. You'll need to play them for a while before judging them as they feel quite grippy (correct technical term 😁) for a while. 

I use D'Addario half rounds on my main gigging bass. They give me a fairly high tension with flat-like fundamental but with some decent top end, a very good compromise for what I do. 

I could never really understand what all of the fuss is about when Bassists state they cannot play floppy strings or will only use high tension strings. I have numerous Basses that have different types of string tension and I have never had any trouble alternating between a tensioned Roundwound and a so called floppy Flatwound TI. I just don't get it!

For me it's not so much that I can't play them, more that they don't suit my playing/gigging style. 

I have two acoustics used at home with Fender tapewounds on which are very low tension and no problem but I would have to change my style if I gigged with them.

I'd rather change my strings to suit me rather than change me to suit my strings. :)

• Like 1

I think there's enough choice of string in low tension, high tension, flat, round, half round, steel, nickel, tape, long scale, short scale, etc, etc these days that whatever style of string you choose you won't be particularly limited. 

After years I have settled on the type of string I like that suits my style and sound. I now just concentrate on my playing.

• Like 1

It's a personal thing. We could all gig with a Jazz, but some people will prefer other basses...

I really, really like balanced, quite high tension, coupled to bright sound so I'm loving the D'Addarios. Not everyone will though!

• Like 1

I love D'addario strings and tried the EXL160BT balanced tension strings but I found them a wee bit too high tension for my liking and have since jumped down to EXL20BT set which are pretty good and not in the lightest bit floppy considering they are 40-95 gauge. I can even drop the E to D and they still sound good.

When I was using Chromes I made my own balanced set as at the time I could buy them as singles cheaper than as a set and used 45, 60, 80, 110. They were right on the money and I was detuning the E to D back then as well

• 5 weeks later...
Guest ixlramp
On 10/09/2018 at 23:50, fleabag said:

Is there a general feature that determines high tension ?

Depends on what you mean by 'tension'. By this many musicians mean the 'feel' or 'perceived tension''.

However 'tension' is also a scientific term for the pull force on a string, the value stated in lbf (pound-force) on tension charts. There is much confusion between the two on bass forums.

The scientific tension is determined by string mass (primarily determined by gauge but also string construction), scale length and pitch only. See that D'Addario tension pdf, it's excellent.

The 'feel' or 'perceived tension' is determined by a mix of scientific tension (the actual 'tightness') and the string's scientific stiffness (as in lack of 'flexibility'). Stiffness is determined by construction, for example flats are inherently stiff compared to roundwounds.

Anyway, simply, if you want high tension, you need to increase the gauges. Some might start suggesting brands and string lines without mentioning gauge, but that''s meaningless, what they mean by this is: 'for the same gauge, this brand/string line feels stiffer'.

Indeed you can alter the 'feel' by choosing a stiffer brand or string line, for example flats, but the primary determiner of tension, either scientific or perceived, is gauge.

On 15/09/2018 at 22:00, fleabag said:

They weren't new strings Maude, so i doubt i'll need to play them for a while.  I guess the running in period has already been sorted

Probably the Chromes I sold Pawel a couple of months ago, I remember he didn't get on with them and re-advertised. Could have saved time and postage and got them off me back then!