Why become a member? ×

“the place bass players’ dreams come to die.”

gjones

I've always preferred playing for the song, and don't have nearly the skill, knowledge or talent (or frankly the desire) to take a solo with confidence so this resonates nicely with my approach. I do appreciate the flamboyance and sheer ability of some other bass players, and I'm genuinely happy that there are people out there pushing the envelope for the instrument, but it just isn't me - and this is a wonderfully eloquent way of stating that there is space for both styles of playing, sometimes all within the same person. We play covers, so I learn my bass parts and put in 100% to make sure the bass helps the band sound good... and that's enough for me.

• Like 5

Thanks for sharing.

"my intention became to fill each note with what I call “life force.” "

Brilliant.

Ed taught me to play upright bass (via one of his excellent DVDs) - always loved his Bass player magazine articles. This one could have been called Zen and the art of playing bass guitar.

• Like 2

This basschat thread is half a dozen posts in with no contrary views so here goes...

Ed's playing to the dogma of tradition and supposition that groove-orientated music somehow has primacy.

It doesn't and his approach is wrong for many situations. His wry observations on the latest YT wunderkind are spot-on but they lurch to the opposite end of the musical spectrum to the absurd, leap-froging all the 'post Stanley/Jaco' great music with active, melodic, up-front bass I love...

Edited by visog
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, visog said:

sThis basschat thread half a dozen post in with no contrary views so here goes...

To be honest, I would have one but for the fact that he mentioned "honky tonk for chicken sh!t bingo".  I didn't read any more paragraphs.  I'd had all the laughs I was going to get right there.

He seemed to be stating the bl33ding obvious but his attitude was of an elder man trying to oil up his next teen conquest.  Dead creepy.  TLDR.

56 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

To be honest, I would have one but for the fact that he mentioned "honky tonk for chicken sh!t bingo".  I didn't read any more paragraphs.  I'd had all the laughs I was going to get right there.

If there is an annual industry award for Best Bass Article, I think Ed deserves the golden bass gong just for including "honky tonk for chicken sh!t bingo" in it

Oh and contrary views are most welcome, it's a discussion forum after all.

1 hour ago, petebassist said:

Oh and contrary views are most welcome, it's a discussion forum after all. 

+1 If we all agreed not only would it be a boring forum, but what would that say about music in general, and about bass as an instrument specifically? I hope we continue to hold and share contrary views for a long time to come...

Wonderful article from a genuine artist explaining his personal experience eloquently and articulately. There doesn't really appear to be anything to agree with or disagree with. He is describing what has happened to him on his own musical journey. He isn't saying it should happen to me too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, visog said:

This basschat thread is half a dozen posts in with no contrary views so here goes...

Ed's playing to the dogma of tradition and supposition that groove-orientated music somehow has primacy.

It doesn't and his approach is wrong for many situations. His wry observations on the latest YT wunderkind are spot-on but they lurch to the opposite end of the musical spectrum to the absurd, leap-froging all the 'post Stanley/Jaco' great music with active, melodic, up-front bass I love...

I think you might have missed his point. He's not saying that type of playing has primacy, just that it does in his band, and to him that's a great change from what he has been doing.  As he's more than comfortable playing in any bass situation in any style I actually think it's great for him to recognise the value of the role 99% of bass players.

1 hour ago, b7l4s said:

+1 If we all agreed not only would it be a boring forum, but what would that say about music in general, and about bass as an instrument specifically? I hope we continue to hold and share contrary views for a long time to come...

Your're wrong!!!!

Edit: I thought I'd better add a :)

Edited by gjones
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, b7l4s said:

+1 If we all agreed not only would it be a boring forum. . . .

IMO if we all agreed it would be great. Who doesn't like being patted on the back and told their views are spot on.

Tell me you think I'm right. . .  that never gets boring!

• Haha 2

Sorry to be dumb, but what is "Texas honky tonk for Chicken-s

h

i

t

Bingo"?

Edited by arthurhenry

2 hours ago, arthurhenry said:

Sorry to be dumb, but what is "Texas honky tonk for Chicken-s

h

i

t

Bingo"?

This primitive form of gambling requires a chequered floor to a coop with each square numbered. One then feeds a suitably animated poultry bird of ones choice with seed, places it said coop and the participants in the venture place bets of which number the animal drops it’s digested load on first. It is hiliarious in a very nice immature way!