Why become a member? ×

Cicero

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

I'd like to point out that, to the best of my knowledge, it was not the lord who dropped the atom bomb.

Well, someone's dropped something in here... Open a window!

Or, perhaps, it's just that jazz is not dead... It just smells funny.

🤔 😃

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Well, someone's dropped something in here... Open a window!

Don't worry OP.  I wont bring any naked flames into the room to add injury to the insult.

Heeheehee.

I don't get jazz either.  You might have gathered.

I have enjoyed a couple of jazzy meals where I was captive in the audience on the Sunday Lunch circuit but that is almost certainly a diluted presentation of popular standards.  Beyond that, it goes right over my head.

I have downloaded the Mingus clip for my personal education and I will watch it later.  Thanks.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thepurpleblob said:

Jazz... do NOT get it. Sorry :(

I suspect it may be my loss.

I've only really gotten into jazz in the last few years, after I got a bit bored with guitar bands.

I started listening to a lot more 70s style funk and that led me to Herbie Hancock and things progressed naturally from there.

I'm still not keen on the traditional big band type stuff though.

Edited by Cato

I did try hard at getting into jaaazz a few years ago (honest) and bought a couple of Mingus platters and a whole bunch of other allaged classic, mostly those cheap as chips box sets. To be fair the Mingus stuff wasn't bad, not good enough for me too keep but not deserving being flung through the kitchen window. Most of the rest just didn't tickle the right parts and all ended up being sold on Zon

On 10/09/2018 at 20:20, Cicero said:

Who doesn't like a bit of midnight Mingus?

One of the best openers on any album! And let's not overlook what happens to be one of the best album titles/covers 🤣

In full agreement- the best of Mingus' soul jazz jams. No-one like him!

Do you have Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus? There's a killer cut of Haitian Fight Song on there. 

• Like 2

On 11/09/2018 at 01:39, Dad3353 said:

Well titled, though; sloppy as heck. Not a fan, I'm afraid. -_-

Hehehe. I love the "sloppiness" as it's character defining. Many songs earn on not being played tightly. IMHO of course.

BTW I'm used to playing stuff with all types of timing characteristics even at an early stage of learning it, and find it enlightening. Helps me decide on a final version that has something new to offer to an audience.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

Hehehe. I love the "sloppiness" as it's character defining. Many songs earn on not being played tightly. IMHO of course.

BTW I'm used to playing stuff with all types of timing characteristics even at an early stage of learning it, and find it enlightening. Helps me decide on a final version that has something new to offer to an audience.

I'd agree if it were simply the playing that's 'sloppy'; in my opinion the whole concept lacks clarity of purpose and depth. The arrangement, the composition (What composition..? It's a simple, badly executed 12-bar, s'all..!), the sounds captured... Possibly (probably..?) fun for the participants at the time, and maybe (but only 'maybe'...) worthwhile as a record of that, but as a third-person listening experience, I'd not wish to repeat it, which, to me, has not a little importance. No regrets for having given it a go (well, just a few...), and not a showcase piece for his/their potential; I think there's better stuff to listen to, even from them. Still, different folks, 'n all that. :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

I'd agree if it were simply the playing that's 'sloppy'; in my opinion the whole concept lacks clarity of purpose and depth. The arrangement, the composition (What composition..? It's a simple, badly executed 12-bar, s'all..!), the sounds captured... Possibly (probably..?) fun for the participants at the time, and maybe (but only 'maybe'...) worthwhile as a record of that, but as a third-person listening experience, I'd not wish to repeat it, which, to me, has not a little importance. No regrets for having given it a go (well, just a few...), and not a showcase piece for his/their potential; I think there's better stuff to listen to, even from them. Still, different folks, 'n all that. :)

Interesting how Mingus polarises opinion- I was hooked from the first listen! What I hear in his work is absolute artistic conviction and an beautiful, organic melding of African-American musical traditions. 

Check out the composition/form again- it's not a regular blues (definitely not 12 bars!) Cool melding of blues and jazz harmony, irregular phrase lengths, modulation to an unrelated key... more than meets the eye/ear. Great bass playing as well, he rocks a 6/8 metre.

Edited by Ceebass
  • Like 2