Why become a member? ×

How to get this tone?

chriswareham

Hi folks! Long time since I posted here, but I can't think of a better place to ask about getting a particular tone. I'm about to go into the studio and have this sound in mind for one of the songs we're recording, it's clearest at the 2:45 mark where the bassist does a couple of little runs during the breakdown. It's the sort of sound I associate with Trace Elliot or SWR amps, but with a kind of edge to it that I can't find. Could be the synth doubling up on the main part of the song, but not on the breakdown I don't think.

Edited by chriswareham

Show it to the engineer in the studio, that is the only way to get that sound on your recording. The sound you hear was processed in a studio and will also be influenced by the headphones or speakers you are listening to it through. Don't expect it to be easy, and don't expect the sound you hear through the studio monitors to be the same as the sound you  will hear on your headphones or home system.

• Like 1

Reminds me of a heavily processed version of John Entwistle's later sound with his Status Buzzard. The chap in video has a Status so that may be the connection. So as the previous poster said a new set of strings, some dirt dialed in from the amp, and plenty of treble too.

See about 1hr into this...

Thanks guys, I think the key to this tone is boosting the treble through a solid state amp. I'll try a Trace Elliot combo with plenty of that clever compression they built in. As for being a "studio" sound, I've heard this sound on live recordings that Moev did - but then again the band were part of the Vancouver electronic music scene that included some really talented producers who also worked on recordings by Skinny Puppy, Frontline Assembly, Severed Heads, etc.

Edited by chriswareham