Why become a member? ×

Problem with P bass wiring

Jimothey

I'm trying to finish my 4 to 5 string conversion P bass so I'm trying to set the intonation and it seems like I've got no output? But here's where I'm getting confused when I plug it in to my little practice amp I don't get any sound except for a slight hum but if turn the volume knob down the hum stops then starts again if I turn the volume knob up again

Am I being stupid or does that mean I am getting an output?? 

Seems to me you are getting an output, but maybe something is short-circuiting the pickup.

Go over everything. Look for things like a long wire soldered to a pot touching the can of the pot. 

Also, if you've screened the cavity, take the pickguard off, connect up the bass, with the PG dangling off. Then see if it works. It's possible screening is touching something and shorting it to earth.

• Thanks 1

Here's the wiring, the ground to the bridge is a bit short so I can't really lift it off too far but that hasn't made a difference

My other P is quiet without sheilding the cavity so I haven't done this one as yet

_20180910_100902.thumb.JPG.cec6cc3412d2b32cca3c39ab7b325a05.JPG

Edited by Jimothey

10 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

I can't see - is there a earth wire coming from the jack socket?

Edit: Assuming the black I can see is going to the bridge!

Or is the black from the pot going to the jack and the green going to the bridge?

Also, where the white/hot connection from the pup goes to the volume pot, the tag looks bent. Is there anything there touching the foil on the back of the pickguard?

Sorry its a bit of a rubbish photo! 

_20180910_103046.thumb.JPG.bfd6e6a8f02a99d6cac7950c455e2742.JPG

All the blacks (numbered 1) are grounds they go  Pickup - Pot - Pot - Jack

(Sorry I'm colour blind so I might be completely wrong??) the thicker green (numbered 2) cable goes from the middle pin on the volume pot to the other pin on the jack then the cable (numbered 3) goes from the jack to the bridge

I hope that make sense?? 

5 minutes ago, Grangur said:

Or is the black from the pot going to the jack and the green going to the bridge?

Also, where the white/hot connection from the pup goes to the volume pot, the tag looks bent. Is there anything there touching the foil on the back of the pickguard?

I checked all the pins, solder etc and nothing is touching the foil 

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

That all makes sense. Thanks for that.  You're clearly Red-Green colour blind, but we can work with that and it doesn't matter here.

For your info; cable "3" is green. The other cables are red. So it's done in a logical-ish way. 

On that basis, it's not impossible that your up has gone open circuit. Do you have another pup you can connect?

No unfortunately I don't have any spares or a soldering iron on me but I've got a multimeter so can I check the pup by coming off the hot and ground and I don't get any readings then would that mean the pup is shot?? 

Edited by Jimothey

Yes, @Jimothey, that's about it, but you need to disconnect one leg of the pup from the circuit, otherwise you would be measuring the resistance of the volume pot.

Or, do my other suggestion and connect the existing pup to a jack, and see if that works. This way you, at least find out if the pup is the issue, or if it's the circuit

12 minutes ago, Grangur said:

Yes, @Jimothey, that's about it, but you need to disconnect one leg of the pup from the circuit, otherwise you would be measuring the resistance of the volume pot.

Or, do my other suggestion and connect the existing pup to a jack, and see if that works. This way you, at least find out if the pup is the issue, or if it's the circuit

I'll bring my soldering iron in tomorrow and give that a go thanks @Grangur for the advice 

• Like 1

@Grangur I did what you suggested and attached the pup straight to the jack and still nothing so I've just ordered a new pup nothing special as I'm still not 100% sure whether I'm going to change the neck to a standard sized 5 string and fit some 5 string split coils but they should be here in a couple of weeks so I can have a play about with it and see how I get on 😀

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1