Why become a member? ×

Behringer BD121 - £17 heads up deal!

casapete

If you have Amazon Prime there is a £17 option here apparently:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000KIPUQG/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

EDIT: Not in stock for a few days, very cheap though. I got mine when they were on sale for £18 a while ago and it's a great sounding backup DI.

Edited by lemmywinks

Thanks for the heads up guys, I've just nabbed the last one currently in stock from Amazon to use as a back up DI :)

According to Amazon they will be back in stock on the 15th, which is this Saturday so if you order one now you should get it in about a week or so. 

For £17 delivered it's a no brainer. But it does say this is an Amazon prime exclusive price so I don't know what the current price for non-prime members is. 

• Like 1

As Osiris says at £17 should be a no-brainer if you need a back-up DI. 

Just had a quick read of the reviews on Amazon - there's a significant minority of 3 stars and below (build / reliability and lack of mid control seem to be a recurring gripe) so it does come with a bit of a 'health warning'. 

58 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Just had a quick read of the reviews on Amazon - there's a significant minority of 3 stars and below (build / reliability and lack of mid control seem to be a recurring gripe) so it does come with a bit of a 'health warning'. 

I think with all Behringer stuff there's a chance of getting a dud, they use cheaper components (obviously) and quality control is a bit iffy, bit of a faff but you can just send it back and get another one.

Edited by PaulWarning
  • Like 1

Is it obvious they use cheaper components? Case, yes sure, but you know, capacitors,integrates circuits, resistors etc only have a few Chinese sources and there is very little difference in the prices. They might be assembled in different places or have flashier offices, but I seriously doubt there is much of a difference in components 

8 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Is it obvious they use cheaper components? Case, yes sure, but you know, capacitors,integrates circuits, resistors etc only have a few Chinese sources and there is very little difference in the prices. They might be assembled in different places or have flashier offices, but I seriously doubt there is much of a difference in components 

So they break down more often just due to poorer QC?

I've used a BDi21 on almost every gig for two years. I've 'Frankensteined' mine as per this YouTube video. It has performed flawlessly, no sign of breaking or falling apart and is a great bit of kit

Edited by MoJo

They`re great little bits of kit, really punch above their weight. Although a Sansamp clone, as the tone isn`t quite so full-on they`re probably easier to get a workable sound with quickly. A mate of mine uses one with his Squier Matt Freeman Precision and it`s a really good combination.

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I think I read somewhere that cheaper units use components that have bigger tolerances 

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

They`re great little bits of kit, really punch above their weight. Although a Sansamp clone, as the tone isn`t quite so full-on they`re probably easier to get a workable sound with quickly. A mate of mine uses one with his Squier Matt Freeman Precision and it`s a really good combination.

Really not helpful that you're a fan Lozz :) 

Ok am I very unusual in NEVER having needed to use a separate DI pedal (let alone thinking about getting a back up DI pedal)?

All the venues my bands have ever played in have either been with backline or, where they have a house PA, the sound engineer at the venue has provided their own DI (and worst case my DG M900 amp, which isn't exactly heavy, has a DI).

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

So they break down more often just due to poorer QC?

Do they? I don't know. There are many reasons that something breaks down, QC certainly has an impact, as does cheaper / poorer assembly. 

44 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I think I read somewhere that cheaper units use components that have bigger tolerances 

That makes sense, it would make it vary more but not necessarily make it more unreliable. obviously a 1% metal film resistor costs quite a bit more than a 5% resistor, and it would affect the frequency response or gain in an amplifier for instance (assuming it was out - there is no reason a 5% resistor actually has to be more out than a 1%, its just more likely), but not the reliability of it.

Cheap construction, bad wiring, poor switchgear etc, they can have an effect, but on a circuit board with low current components, there isn't much to break. 

I never thought these had a reputation for failing, I'm no fan of Behringer pedals as a whole but these ones generally seem to be pretty reliable. I think if they did a metal cased version with a better footswitch for some extra £ then it would be even better,  DIY rehousing would be an interesting project.

32 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

I never thought these had a reputation for failing, I'm no fan of Behringer pedals as a whole but these ones generally seem to be pretty reliable. I think if they did a metal cased version with a better footswitch for some extra £ then it would be even better,  DIY rehousing would be an interesting project.

once you've got a good one I think they're fairly reliable, if they're going to fail I suspect it happens straight away

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

That makes sense, it would make it vary more but not necessarily make it more unreliable. obviously a 1% metal film resistor costs quite a bit more than a 5% resistor,

I don't think that's true anymore wrt 1% cf 5% resistors. 1% has become the norm for standard small resistors - thru hole or SMT. (I design with these things and while I'm sure Behringer get better prices than myself that sort of means that the cost of the resistors becomes tiny.)

Cost / Reliability issues are much more associated with mechanical elements - pots / sockets / switches / connectors etc as that's where more of the money goes.

The footswitch on the BDI is a funny sort of thing. I have two of these - one I intend to mod - and no issues although light use only.

I don't know if the casing is shielded internally ?

• Like 1

On 10/09/2018 at 07:43, Al Krow said:

ive had mine for close on 12 years now. Although not used much its still going strong. The BDI21 is one of the rare Behrigner products that have a very good rep, although of course nothing is 100%.

i actually prefer it to the old BDDI, although my BDDIv2 is better.

As far as the Amazon £17 deal goes, i bet they are getting them from G4M.

• Like 1