Why become a member? ×

Bassist for Kylie Minogue - BBC Radio 2 Hyde Park Concert

Cuzzie

5 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Of course how much contribution all this gear makes to the sound you hear from your TV will depend on where the DI for the TV feed is in the bass guitar signal path and how much separate processing has been done on that feed. Two things you can't possibly know unless you are the engineer doing the TV sound.

Even then, the sound for the SD channels can often sound very different to the mix or output in Dolby Digital. Quite often switching between Sd and HD can show quite a big difference in audio, and not just the quality.

32 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

My takeaway is that I have or had 2 out 3 of the bits gear that the OP mentioned was being used by a highly talented pro bassist, so it's not great gear that I'm lacking 😂

I take BRX's point that the DI is likely to be either after the bassist's pedal board, or possibly from his DG M900 rather than the sound engineer trying to mic the cab...but I guess we could easily confirm the point by looking at the footage of the gig? I'll try to dive in at some point later today to check, unless someone gets there sooner. 

Even if there is a mic on the cab there's no guarantee that it is any way contributing to either the FoH or broadcast sound. Only the mix engineer(s) will know for sure.

Bear in mind also that the EQ and compression available on a decent PA or broadcast desk is going to be far superior to anything in a bass rig.

39 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Bear in mind also that the...compression available on a decent PA or broadcast desk is going to be far superior to anything in a bass rig.

You're very much pushing at an open door on that one! 😂

I've concluded that the best place for compression is in the hands of the sound engineer (perhaps most importantly in a studio recording setting) and that for everything else my favourite compressor quote applies:

On 17/07/2018 at 22:15, BrunoBass said:

I decide I need a compressor so I buy one, use it and then decide I don’t need it so I get rid of it. Then a year or so later I decide I need a compressor so I buy use it and then decide I don’t need it so I get rid of it. Then a year or so later I decide I need a compressor so I buy one use it and then decide I don’t need it so I get rid of it. Then a year or so late I decide I need a compressor so I buy... (repeat ad infinitum) 

Edited by Al Krow

*sigh* an innocent post about an enjoyable show and a nice sounding bass is all getting rather irksome and tedious, so I will modify and only apply what one can definitively see.

The player was playing rather nice sounding and looking basses made by Sandberg. 

A fretted TM4 and a Fretless TM5

The player seems to play them rather well sounding good on his own and in time with his band mates. Someone else mentioned he was highly talented.

i can guarantee put me on that bass, it would no where near sound as good.

Those are the constants in the chain and have to be before any DI or deskage wizardry.

All the rest is willy waving

18 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

*sigh* an innocent post about an enjoyable show and a nice sounding bass is all getting rather irksome and tedious, so I will modify and only apply what one can definitively see.

The player was playing rather nice sounding and looking basses made by Sandberg. 

The player seems to play them rather well sounding good on his own and in time with his band mates. Someone else mentioned he was highly talented.

Those are the constants in the chain and have to be before any DI or deskage wizardry.

Gotcha. So to summarise, your key points are that pro bass players play basses better than us amateurs and that Sandberg make good basses? 

Finding it almost impossible to disagree with that 😂

Edited by Al Krow

Not really, but apparently that’s all i can say, but yes I get your point too.

cant get you out of my head is a mixture of bass synth and keyboards, but may not translate through telly as it might do live, and of course a different arrangement 

The mix was also a bit sub heavy from the engineers

Edited by Cuzzie

33 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Not really, but apparently that’s all i can say, but yes I get your point too.

cant get you out of my head is a mixture of bass synth and keyboards, but may not translate through telly as it might do live, and of course a different arrangement 

The mix was also a bit sub heavy from the engineers

Nah, your point about bass and rig choice was entirely valid. Unless the guy is under a sponsorship deal with each manufacturer, the fact that he's gone for Sandberg TM4 / TM5, DG M900 & BF ST is testimony to the quality of each of those. And I don't think you'll find too many fair minded folk disagreeing.

It is true that the synthesiser/ sequencer parts (I can't remember the tracks but there were three or four - probably Stock, Aitken and Waterman ones) came through far more clearly than the bass guitar parts - not sure how the keyboards would have been sent to the desk? Direct or miked from speakers?

Anyway it's curious the difference - I suspect those saying the feed to the desk for the bass guitar was from a DI before the amp may be right - in which case they've lost part of the bass sound (which is what the amp produces) - also very dangerous if you're using pedals. I personally prefer to provide the feed from the amp DI (not possible from some valve amps). 

All that said the bass sound on some of the songs was fine - I agree it was a bit thin on Can't Get You Out Of My Head. On that one it sounded like rock bass mix syndrome to me!! Not enough mid punch. 

Agreed on Sandbergs - the procession of Fenders can get boring, especially if the sound is thin and low in the mix, as sometimes seems the case. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Here, here!

I enjoyed the show but then Kylie might be a bit marmite for serious musicians.

I have a Sandberg bass or two that i rate highly, in fact I'd go as far as to Sandberg make the best Fenders :ph34r:.  Also a BF cab :) and a talent deficit :$

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Kylie at the O2 last night. Bleddy brilliant show! Lots of 'proper' instruments as she's in her 'country' period, but lots of re-arrangements of classics and some full-on disco too! No sign of amps on stage so i guess its either all DI or mic'ed cabs backstage somewhere...

Rock'n'roll? Yeah. Let it die. This was joyful, no po-faced 'serious' music, just fun, entertainment, some great playing, singing and dancing and a genuine warm from the performers and the audience..! I've not had so much fun at a live event for a long time, if ever...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, operative451 said:

Saw Kylie at the O2 last night. Bleddy brilliant show! Lots of 'proper' instruments as she's in her 'country' period, but lots of re-arrangements of classics and some full-on disco too! No sign of amps on stage so i guess its either all DI or mic'ed cabs backstage somewhere...

Rock'n'roll? Yeah. Let it die. This was joyful, no po-faced 'serious' music, just fun, entertainment, some great playing, singing and dancing and a genuine warm from the performers and the audience..! I've not had so much fun at a live event for a long time, if ever...

I saw her too. Pretty good but I was so disappointed when she didn't play I Should Be So Lucky. I felt really short changed, like she was embarrassed to play one of her most well-known songs.  It's her prerogative but I think at a big show there's almost an obligation to play for the audience and do all the big songs.