Why become a member? ×

Bassist for Kylie Minogue - BBC Radio 2 Hyde Park Concert

Cuzzie

The bassist for Kylie is killing it with playing nd tone tonight, if you are not watching live, worth watching her set.

Sandberg basses, a 4 string aged orange TM, a Fretless Tobacco TM 5 string.

@alexclaber should be proud as he is using a Supertwin and @Darkglass should also be proud as he is using the M900.

Rich fat tone for days, love them Sandberg’s 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lee-Man said:

Think Si Francis has the Kylie bass chair at the moment 

Afraid not young man, it’s a guy called Jamie Sefton, really talented guy. He has had the chair for Amy Macdonald.

Used to be in One Eskimo, and they recently had a reform and played at the Bedford pub in London in the London music week.

At that gig he was playing bass and a flugal horn at the same time, one hand on each, that takes some doing.

• Like 1

During this broadcast my Mrs exclaimed unto me, "hey, come and listen to this guy playing bass ... it's Kylie Minogue's band!"

I ventured forth to the living room and watched for a minute ... "Quite impressive!", I thought. Then I wondered out loud where Ms Minogue was in all this, for she had not appeared after a couple of minutes and I found it remarkable that a Kylie audience would put up with a lengthy and un-dancey instrumental workout.

At this point, the Mrs remembered that she'd actually switched channels and we were watching Paul Carrack's band.

So, hey, Paul Carrack's bass player is worth the watching. :)

• Haha 1

Well, I thought it only fair to give it another go, so I gave it another 1'40 before deciding that, to me, this comes under the category of 'Bof' (sorry, that's the French term; I've forgotten what it translates to...). Never mind.

Edit: I found this, which is close enough, maybe...

English translation of 'bof' ...

Edited by Dad3353

I watched this and quite liked the overall concert - having found the bass fairly inaudible on the tele I plugged it through a stereo system and that improved things a lot.

However to me, the only time the bass sounded really good and prominent (as per listening to a recorded version) was when it was synth bass. Not sure what it is with bass guitar in modern mixes but they always sound late 60s to me and when anything defined and higher in the mix is called for it doesn't get there. I presume the overall mix is geared to bottom end rumble and not enough mid as far as bass is concerned. 

I enjoyed the bass playing though - very good. 

Edited by drTStingray

O think the sound guys for BBC had maybe just come back from ibiza and were in the sub bass type mixing mode from the club sets etc. Hence the more bass type mix, and of course there are more synth type songs in her set up.

Be interesting to hear how it changes in her tour

On 09/09/2018 at 20:52, Cuzzie said:

The bassist for Kylie is killing it with playing nd tone tonight, if you are not watching live, worth watching her set.

Sandberg basses, a 4 string aged orange TM, a Fretless Tobacco TM 5 string.

@alexclaber should be proud as he is using a Supertwin and @Darkglass should also be proud as he is using the M900.

Rich fat tone for days, love them Sandberg’s 

Of course how much contribution all this gear makes to the sound you hear from your TV will depend on where the DI for the TV feed is in the bass guitar signal path and how much separate processing has been done on that feed. Two things you can't possibly know unless you are the engineer doing the TV sound.

@BigRedX no doubt you have some valid points, however you can’t possibly tell me that the Tone he has was complete and utter codswallop and then the engineers sprinkled a whole bucket load of fairy dust to make it sound good.

Chances are they had a very good starting point, mid point, end point wherever he or she took the signal from

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

@BigRedX no doubt you have some valid points, however you can’t possibly tell me that the Tone he has was complete and utter codswallop and then the engineers sprinkled a whole bucket load of fairy dust to make it sound good.

Chances are they had a very good starting point, mid point, end point wherever he or she took the signal from

My point was, that unless the cab was mic'd and the mic'd source was the main component of the broadcast bass sound, then the choice of amp and cab is completely and utterly irrelevant.

My experience of large gigs and live broadcasts, is that the engineer will try and take the DI feed from as close to the bass guitar as possible. I've never had my cabs mic'd up and the only reason the engineers have used the DI output on my amp is because that is the sole accessible point in the signal chain that also includes all all the effects I use. Otherwise I am sure they would have taken the DI feed from somewhere in front of the amp.

This has been one of the reasons why I have replaced my large, heavy and expensive conventional bass rig with a Line6 Helix and an RCF745 powered cab.

• Thanks 1

My takeaway is that I have or had 2 out 3 of the bits gear that the OP mentioned was being used by a highly talented pro bassist, so it's not great gear that I'm lacking 😂

I take BRX's point that the DI is likely to be either after the bassist's pedal board, or possibly from his DG M900 rather than the sound engineer trying to mic the cab...but I guess we could easily confirm the point by looking at the footage of the gig? I'll try to dive in at some point later today to check, unless someone gets there sooner. 

Edited by Al Krow