Why become a member? ×

Black residue from D'Addario NYXLs

Adethefade

I love D'Addario NYXLs and have used them for years, but in the last couple of days I've noticed that my fingers look like I've been changing a tyre after playing bass; black graphite-like residue on both sets of playing fingers. I know oxidisation can do this but I've never noticed it before; it seems to be blackening my maple necks too. It's happened on a few different basses and since I only use NYXLs, it's the same strings always. Anyone experienced this? Do I need to change my string choice?

Similar situ many years ago. D’Addario new string line, I  think they were called ‘Half Rounds’. Lots of ‘residue’ left on a cleaning cloth. I reckoned it was micro filings not washed off properly after string grinding. D’Addario would hopefully have the strings back from you for analysis.

..... I should add it was a couple of sets with this problem, one set replaced when I sent the troublesome one back to the USA.

Edited by mybass

Thanks guys. To answer the questions, they're not old strings and no, I've never had this before. I've been working on a building project at home for a few months so I'm handling all sorts of tools & substances that I don't normally handle...perhaps that's it. I'll experiment a bit and try to diagnose it.

On 13/09/2018 at 07:57, Adethefade said:

Hi Adam, The residue is black and oily. Just to be clear, this is almost certainly to do with me handling building tools & substances at the moment, I've never had the issue before and I've been using NYXLs for years.

Hi. No problem, let me know your findings. If you have any difficulties drop me a message!

Adam.