Why become a member? ×

Yanking the chain, yep another one.

dadagoboi

I'm Carlo, currently living in a Florida swamp by way of NYC and more recently China.  I've been playing bass since 1962 and started building basses in earnest in 2010 after exiting furniture design and returning from Asia.  I had quit playing in the early 80s, keeping only a 1960 EBO and a '77 StingRay.  Picked it up again around 2002  and have since acquired too many basses.

Here's my 1965 UK Vox Phantom and one of the clones I built a few years back.  I owned a Crucianelli Vox version in the early '70s.  Sad to say, it didn't hold a candle to the original.

xhcviFu.jpg

r63ZLk0.jpg

I've also owned a number of British sports cars and Triumph motorcycles which definitely were instrumental in forming a DIY attitude!

• Like 3

An anglophile eh?  They can't hang you for it these days can they?

Re; Triumph 'bikes.  They have changed a lot with John Bloor taking on the brand back in the eighties and opening the first new generation factory in Hinckley in the early nineties.  They aren't the sort of 'bikes you'd fix by the kerbside with a screwdriver and a packet of cigarette papers any more.

Have you tried one of the Hinckley Triumphs yet?

That's a lovely replica.  Have you any clips of it being played?

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

An anglophile eh?  They can't hang you for it these days can they?

Re; Triumph 'bikes.  They have changed a lot with John Bloor taking on the brand back in the eighties and opening the first new generation factory in Hinckley in the early nineties.  They aren't the sort of 'bikes you'd fix by the kerbside with a screwdriver and a packet of cigarette papers any more.

Have you tried one of the Hinckley Triumphs yet?

That's a lovely replica.  Have you any clips of it being played?

Thanks, no clips. I will say that the original is almost a clone of my '55 Precision in neck specs (baseball bat profile and 1-3/4" at the nut) unlike the Crucianellis, and the pickups more muscular as well. I used a pair of chopped Duncan quarter pounder 51SCs with scratch built covers on the clone.  They're close in sound except the clone switch is a blend pot allowing both pickups to be used together   Both basses weigh the same, around 8 lbs and don't neck dive, also unlike the Italian versions. 

I do know the current Triumph story but I've moved on to Ducatis...actually I've quit riding though I still have the bikes and licence.  Currently driving a twin turbo 350z but looking to downsize to a restored Series 4 Alfa Spider and take it on a west coast road trip.  I first did that in '76 in a  '60 'frogeye' Sprite built with parts from four donor cars.   New fangled machinery doesn't leave much the owner can DIY.

Cool.

You are right about the DIY thing.  I used to enjoy being able to avoid garage charges and    c o c k    ups.  Doing my own maintenance was not an issue as a time served aircraft mechanic.  Once ABS and software became commonplace I lost much of the interest that had kept me at it full time.

• Like 1