Why become a member? ×

VT/RBI/RPM bass setting - pedal or preamp

la bam

afternoon all,

im not sure if a thread like this already exists, or whether it should go under effects or amps and cabs as its available in both preamp rack form and pedal form.

Just wondering what setting people use for their VT bass preamps/pedals? or indeed, RBI and RPM modules?

I used mine for the first time last night. Didnt have much time to sound check, but used:

DRIVE: 10 oclock.

CHARACTER: 11 oclock.

BLEND: 5 oclock.

BASS: 4 oclock.

MID: 12 oclock.

HIGH 2 oclock.

It gave quite a musical sound, but wasnt a thick powerful tone (or not on stage anyway). i couldnt quite get used to the volume - it seemed to really jump out of the mix if i turned up.

it seemed to fit in well in the mix, but sounded clanky isolated.

was playing through a v4 bass, vtrm, power amp into a sealed markbass 610.

I always use my vt pedal with eq all at noon , character 11 o'clock, drive 10 o'clock, vol 1 o'clock  blend off and always sounds great and punchy using a p bass driving a ported 6x10. Tbf though it's usually going into a Amp head (GK 1001 or Hartke 3500 at practice space).

The settings for our SansAmp products are usually done direct to a mixer and are for reference or to be used as a starting point. Settings that work into various amps with different tone stacks and speaker systems  will most likely not sound the same through different amps. We suggest going into an amps effects loop when using our SansAmps as your main "amp" tone as that method bypasses the hosts amps preamp section. If you want to use the pedal in front and use it like a stomp box you need to rethink the settings a bit as your amps preamp will fight against the inherent tone of the pedal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tech21NYC said:

The settings for our SansAmp products are usually done direct to a mixer and are for reference or to be used as a starting point. Settings that work into various amps with different tone stacks and speaker systems  will most likely not sound the same through different amps. We suggest going into an amps effects loop when using our SansAmps as your main "amp" tone as that method bypasses the hosts amps preamp section. If you want to use the pedal in front and use it like a stomp box you need to rethink the settings a bit as your amps preamp will fight against the inherent tone of the pedal. 

I`m yet to try that but I know a few basschatters who do and they rave about it. Similarly I love the sound of my Precision/Para Driver straight to FOH. My amps have eq-bypass so I`m pretty near (I hope).

If your using the abm600 that will still be ashdown coloured whether eq is on or not. To bypass the preamp section (and ashdown colour) plug the bass into the sansamp then the sansamp into the fx return on the rear, then put a dummy Jack (headphone type adaptor) into the bass input on the ashdown.

That will then in theory replicate the sound going to the desk, rather than the coloured ashdown sound and sansamp combined.

Edited by la bam

1 hour ago, la bam said:

If your using the abm600 that will still be ashdown coloured whether eq is on or not. To bypass the preamp section (and ashdown colour) plug the bass into the sansamp then the sansamp into the fx return on the rear, then put a dummy Jack (headphone type adaptor) into the bass input on the ashdown.

That will then in theory replicate the sound going to the desk, rather than the coloured ashdown sound and sansamp combined.

What does the dummy jack do? I've never used one...

For some reason on this particular amp, if you plug your bass into sansamp then sansamp into the fx return them nothing will happen. If you plug in your sansamp to your fx in and out and bass into amp, you will get the sansamp working properly, but still get that ashdown colour.

Only doing it the way I mentioned seems to bypass ashdowns preamp.

It was Nancy Johnson on a previous thread who suggested it. That method is just for that particular amp though. Others may work differently.

Edited by la bam

4 hours ago, la bam said:

For some reason on this particular amp, if you plug your bass into sansamp then sansamp into the fx return them nothing will happen. If you plug in your sansamp to your fx in and out and bass into amp, you will get the sansamp working properly, but still get that ashdown colour.

Only doing it the way I mentioned seems to bypass ashdowns preamp.

It was Nancy Johnson on a previous thread who suggested it. That method is just for that particular amp though. Others may work differently.

I never knew that! I've never needed to do it with my Ashdown MAG amp. Perhaps it is just the ABMs.

Different amps and manufacturers work in different ways. Some will completely bypass the pre amp by plugging into the fx send and return, some will mix, some will bypass the preamp by using the ashdown method, and some, like markbass, can't be bypassed at all.

8 minutes ago, la bam said:

Different amps and manufacturers work in different ways. Some will completely bypass the pre amp by plugging into the fx send and return, some will mix, some will bypass the preamp by using the ashdown method, and some, like markbass, can't be bypassed at all.

Note to self - don't buy a Markbass amp 😂

1 hour ago, Jus Lukin said:

@la bam, I meant to ask in the other thread- where did you find your VT Bass Rack? Being discontinued, I had to hunt one down to the last in stock in a place in southern Italy! 

pure luck. i was just looking on ebay and it came up.

cost me a fortune, buy it now, but gees, its worth it.

Tech 21 should carry on making these. Add in a compressor like the flyrig and youve got one hell of a powerful rack.

Edited by la bam

On 09/09/2018 at 13:46, la bam said:

afternoon all,

im not sure if a thread like this already exists, or whether it should go under effects or amps and cabs as its available in both preamp rack form and pedal form.

Just wondering what setting people use for their VT bass preamps/pedals? or indeed, RBI and RPM modules?

I used mine for the first time last night. Didnt have much time to sound check, but used:

DRIVE: 10 oclock.

CHARACTER: 11 oclock.

BLEND: 5 oclock.

BASS: 4 oclock.

MID: 12 oclock.

HIGH 2 oclock.

It gave quite a musical sound, but wasnt a thick powerful tone (or not on stage anyway). i couldnt quite get used to the volume - it seemed to really jump out of the mix if i turned up.

it seemed to fit in well in the mix, but sounded clanky isolated.

was playing through a v4 bass, vtrm, power amp into a sealed markbass 610.

http://www.tech21nyc.com/support/manuals/amps/VT500_OM.pdf

scroll down and there are some more settings for you to have a whizz at ( some might need modding ) or different buttons but its a start at least :)

On 12/09/2018 at 10:25, la bam said:

This is interesting - I'd always assumed FX loops were post Pre-amp; I thought that was the whole point ; i.e. you applied the effect after any shaping - I'm pretty sure that's how it is with my GK head.  Will have to look into the Markbass approach a little more .