Why become a member? ×

I'm interested to see what TH fans here think of Little Creatures. This was my first experience of them as a young teenager after hearing Road to Nowhere. I've since realised this was a bit of commercial change for them but I still think it has some very well written songs on. And she was and Perfect World are both great songs.

Edited by bonzodog

21 minutes ago, bonzodog said:

I'm interested to see what TE fans here think of Little Creatures. This was my first experience of them as a young teenager after hearing Road to Nowhere. I've since realised this was a bit of commercial change for them but I still think it has some very well written songs on. And she was and Perfect World are both great songs.

It's the album which got me into them and is still a favourite. I then went back to 77 and filled in with all those amazing albums. 

I was hugely disappointed  with Little Creatures as TH had dropped the funky elements on that album. Remain In Light is great but Fear of Music is their masterpiece IMO.  Not a duff track on it. More Songs About Buildings and Food is brilliant too, Take Me To The River being 100 x better than the Al Green version and is one of the greatest covers of any song ever. Speaking in Tongues is generally good but inferior to the other three while  for me its the Stop Making Sense versions of  Slippery People and Burning Down The House  that are definitive. I agree with what others say about TW, a classic case of apparently simple but memorable and highly effective playing supporting the songs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bonzodog said:

I'm interested to see what TH fans here think of Little Creatures. This was my first experience of them as a young teenager after hearing Road to Nowhere. I've since realised this was a bit of commercial change for them but I still think it has some very well written songs on. And she was and Perfect World are both great songs.

It's the perfect gateway album. I've come to love the rest of their stuff, but it takes some time to grow on you, especially if you don't listen to a lot of the new wave, funk and assorted world music that influenced their sound. You gradually realise that a lot of their other albums are more interesting, and more challenging, but I still think LC is a solid album of well-written pop songs.

Just to put the cat among the pigeons, my favourite is Speaking in Tongues...

Edited by EliasMooseblaster
  • Like 1

I saw Talking Heads in (I think) 1977 at The Outlook in Doncaster. ( IIRC they were on the same tour as The Ramones?) Whilst not really my kind of thing, I was struck by their quirkiness and originality, at a time when punk was already wearing a bit thin for me. Always thought David Byrne is a genius, and admired the way he's changed direction so many times over the years whilst still keeping his trademark sound somehow. Psycho Killer still sounds good today!

Big fan here. I saw them live at the Swindon Oasis in 1977. Blown away, especially by the rhythm section. I was actually in love with Tina Weymouth for some time. They were being supported by a really terrible unknown pub-type rock band called Dire Straits. I remember thinking how apt their name was, how unsuitable they were as support for the Heads and consoled myself with the fact that they'd obviously never get anywhere. Ha, ha, ha! :D How wrong can you be??

• Like 2

2 hours ago, casapete said:

I saw Talking Heads in (I think) 1977 at The Outlook in Doncaster. ( IIRC they were on the same tour as The Ramones?) Whilst not really my kind of thing, I was struck by their quirkiness and originality, at a time when punk was already wearing a bit thin for me. Always thought David Byrne is a genius, and admired the way he's changed direction so many times over the years whilst still keeping his trademark sound somehow. Psycho Killer still sounds good today!

I know what you mean Pete - still love that OGWT footage of Tina on Psycho Killer with the modified Mustang.  I still have a Jap re-issue in the same colour scheme (with the cream 'racing' stripes) in homage.  Like Discreet, I think I was in love despite the pudding basin haircut!

Edited by martthebass

A couple of weeks ago a kid at work asked me my fave band.  Without hesitation, I said Talking Heads.

SMS got me into Talking Heads back in ‘84 & I don’t think there’s been a year gone by when I haven’t listened to it at least once.  Though I can listen to any of their albums with a smile on my face. I love the abstract arrangements on 77 & True Stories is one of those albums that I’m reluctant to put on, but when I do, the whole album gets played. 

10 minutes ago, xgsjx said:

...Though I can listen to any of their albums with a smile on my face. I love the abstract arrangements on 77 & True Stories is one of those albums that I’m reluctant to put on, but when I do, the whole album gets played. 

I found the same.

Some days, I'd find it hard to listen all the way through 77.  If I am having a hard time with my Tinnitus for example.  On good days, I like it as a background to what I'm doing in the workshop.  Then it gets played through purely because I am not sat listening.

It delivers if you let it play instead of putting it on to listen to.  Funny that.  I wonder if that is a common perception?

• Like 1