Why become a member? ×

Saturday night off - lousy TV!

casapete

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

I'm one of those fortunate people that doesn't feel the need to be entertained by moving pictures. Television is complete garbage  - even when I was working in the industry, I didn't have a TV. It's just a manufactured product like packs of sausages, and about as tasteful and of equal questionable morals.

Right on.

If I ever find myself living in a place by myself, I won't miss it.  Internet telly won't be missed because I have never nor will I ever chase that dragon.

9 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Thanks for that.  I larfed.  (Mainly because it worries me to think I may never be able to buy a "dumb" telly ever again.)

I'm quite sure the fecking thing is watching and listening 24/7 and sending its findings direct to GCHQ.

But what do you expect when even your phone can get in touch with your bank? You can't even fart without somebody knowing about it.

Mind you when I fart, everybody knows about it...

• Like 1

For the majority of the 16 years or so I had my own place before getting married I didn't have a TV, I only bought one in the end as I was tired of watching DVDs on a 14-inch PC monitor. When the analogue signal was switched off I cancelled the TV licence. Now I hardly ever watch anything as it's being broadcast, usually recordings of reruns of old stuff (currently working through The Bill from 2000). If TVs were outlawed tomorrow I personally wouldn't miss it.

37 minutes ago, davepb24 said:

For the majority of the 16 years or so I had my own place before getting married I didn't have a TV, I only bought one in the end as I was tired of watching DVDs on a 14-inch PC monitor. When the analogue signal was switched off I cancelled the TV licence. Now I hardly ever watch anything as it's being broadcast, usually recordings of reruns of old stuff (currently working through The Bill from 2000). If TVs were outlawed tomorrow I personally wouldn't miss it.

I'm tending that way myself.

• Like 1

Without question saturday night is the worst on Freeview /terrestrial tv and that's saying something considering the utter bilge shown on most channels the other 6 days. It's bad enough summer being over but the misery is compounded by four months of feckin Strictly and X Factor. I am partial to reruns of tec shows on ITV3 and Drama Channel, Doc Martin, the occasional science documentary on BBC2 or Yesterday and The Durrells and that's it. 

• Like 1

The thing is Saturday night TV is for Sad acts with nothing better to do with their lives, so it is really no surprise that there isn't anything interesting on. If you really must have some moving pictures style entertainment, that's what your TIVO/DVD recorder/Netflix etc is for. Otherwise why not do something more intellectually stimulating like read a book?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, discreet said:

My main issue is TV commercials. I will NOT allow them in the house. Which means a lot of BBC2 and BBC4.

OR I will put a channel on pause, go and do something else for a while, then fast-forward through the ads.

I won't listen to them willingly either.  The mute button is used every time.

BBC claim not to advertise yet they use advertising tactics to promote their own stuff.  The promotions are just as disruptive as commercials.  There are no winners.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I won't listen to them willingly either.  The mute button is used every time.

BBC claim not to advertise yet they use advertising tactics to promote their own stuff.  The promotions are just as disruptive as commercials.  There are no winners.

Yep that annoys me too. Also the adverts are meant to be no more than 4mins long yet channels don't include their own program adverts in that 4 mins and add on at the end giving up to 5-6mins of a gap in a program.

If you want to advertise your own programmes then do that instead of the paid adverts you get and let people enjoy the actual program that is on. Its getting to the point every time i flick onto another channel i get adverts more often than not.

Adverts are my pet hate in life. 😠

Dave

• Like 1

To be honest i'l record some of the late night movies and rewatch them during an evening or just put Prime on. At the moment i've just started watching Game of Thrones after my brother got me the box set 2 yrs ago at Xmas. Have to admit i'm really enjoying it.

Only thing i make a point of trying to watch if i can is the F1 but new band rehearses 12-3 on a Sun so i miss quite a few and just have to reccord them.

Dave

7 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

just have to reccord them.

I quite often do that even when I intend to watch one the day of broadcast.  I take my time to get some tea and finish off whatever chores remain from the evening meal.  Often it happens that I build in a ten minute lag that lets me leapfrog all of the commercials and finish watching at the start time for the next hour.

The hard disk equipped decoder is a marvellous bit of kit.

• Like 1

I bought one of those Smart Tellys few yrs ago. I added the USB hard drive to enable recording only to find that i can only record the channel i'm watching. So it was back to the old Hard Disc recorder again. I only use the USB version late at night when i'm in bed and not watching TV  at all

That's technology for you.

Dave

25 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

That's technology for you. 

I can say with a fair degree of certainty that it isn't.

If it had been made for me it would have a proper, old-fashioned kill switch and not just a pathetic standby button.  It galls me that with modern kit, I have to wait for a bootup cycle AND I have to wait for the shutdown to be certain that some new fangled bit of tat has actually responded to the soft switch.

With lots of these processor dependant devices it seems to be that the one time you think "oh it'll be off in a moment I'll leave it to shut down", you come back much later to find that the darned thing is hung in some sort of digital sulk and is heating up an empty room because it is in loopy land.  With valve tech, you only had to wait for the warm up.  You could walk away immediately upon switching the set off.

Confounded flummery!

What a bunch of technophobes we are all becoming, eh?  Sod it.  I am happy to retire to my bath chair and shout at squirrels whilst waving a stick vaguely in their direction.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Haha 1