Why become a member? ×

Ten String ThunderBird (5x2 multicourse)

dadagoboi

Spondon:  Not much except I'd build the body.  Belly contour, side jack.   Balance is about the same as most Thunderbirds but it's a heavy neck and tuners.  Most multis are neck heavy unless you spend a lot of money on tuners.

9MREw0Z.jpg

Gotoh Resolites and Stealths, insanely light and priced that way.

WoodinBlack:  Well it does have a Ric headstock and that's their preferred setup for Eighters.  Plugging and redrilling is a PITA but worth it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, dadagoboi said:

Spondon:  Not much except I'd build the body.  Belly contour, side jack.   Balance is about the same as most Thunderbirds but it's a heavy neck and tuners.  Most multis are neck heavy unless you spend a lot of money on tuners.

Much as I expected, thank you.

Will you continue to buy in the necks then?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

Much as I expected, thank you.

Will you continue to buy in the necks then?

You're welcome.

The Ibanez necks are excellentt quality and readily available. I prefer to buy anything I can't make or have made better.  There's no actual 'production' , almost everything I build has some degree of customisation depending on customer preferences and how I feel about incorporating them.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

You know they come as 8 strings don't you? 

P1120332.thumb.jpg.96655bb80b963eb3f4aff54047f3e598.jpg

I have a Dean Edge Eighter. Neck is dual trussrod  49 mm at the bridge 3 piece maple.  I also have a Dean 4 banger.  Neck IS NOT dual trussrod  three piece maple or 49 mm.

That said, you can build a decent eighter with a single trussrod one piece neck, but not without at least a 45mm wide nut..IMO string spacing will be too tight with anything less

2WQy8tl.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, dadagoboi said:

I have a Dean Edge Eighter. Neck is dual trussrod  49 mm at the bridge 3 piece maple.  I also have a Dean 4 banger.  Neck IS NOT dual trussrod  three piece maple or 49 mm.

That said, you can build a decent eighter with a single trussrod one piece neck, but not without at least a 45mm wide nut..IMO string spacing will be too tight with anything less

Obviously you know more about the construction of these things, but my dean is a 45mm nut, and the spector was quite a bit less. Also it had I believe a single truss rod. It was a better bass to play than the dean (but in my case 4 times the price so I didn't keep it, but maybe I should have).

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Obviously you know more about the construction of these things, but my dean is a 45mm nut, and the spector was quite a bit less. Also it had I believe a single truss rod. It was a better bass to play than the dean (but in my case 4 times the price so I didn't keep it, but maybe I should have).

The Schecter Stiletto Studio 8 only has a 40mm nut. Which gives me some hope I can mod my Dean Edge 4...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dadagoboi said:

It's easier for me to chord a multi string with a wider neck, very tight spacing between root and octave(s), and minimal neck relief. 

Exactly the opposite with me on the neck width, but then I once a bass goes past 45mm overall at the nut or 17mm spacing at the bridge I have already lost it a bit!

On 15/09/2018 at 22:14, dadagoboi said:

Dialing in the beast.

VEnW3RW.jpg

Absolutely amazing work so far!
I too have just realised that I probably need at least an 8 string in my life now...

Can I ask what shape the gold bass is on the right in this pic? I can't seem to find it on your site.

Cheers,
Eude

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eude said:

Absolutely amazing work so far!
I too have just realised that I probably need at least an 8 string in my life now...

Can I ask what shape the gold bass is on the right in this pic? I can't seem to find it on your site.

Cheers,
Eude

Thanks,!

The gold bass is a one off, started out as a 4 string.  I rerouted the neck pocket and dropped in the neck from my BigBottom 12er when I was developing the current 12er bridge/tailpiece.

FmoaUje.jpg

BigBottom and NR 12s

q5s8rkH.jpg

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, dadagoboi said:

Thanks,!

The gold bass is a one off, started out as a 4 string.  I rerouted the neck pocket and dropped in the neck from my BigBottom 12er when I was developing the current 12er bridge/tailpiece.

FmoaUje.jpg

BigBottom and NR 12s

q5s8rkH.jpg

Thanks for the info, I REALLY like it as a shape, very cool.

Eude

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Putting a cork in this one.  Turned out the 10 string spread was a bridge too far for the ThunderBuckers, which after all were designed for five strings maximum. I put it aside to ponder and took a long vacation to California.

Upon return I got a set of Aguilar G3 40 series which do the job very well.  Slight routing /touchup was necessary and it's gone to the happy customer.

9dthfJ8.jpg

96MXbjj.jpg

HfNL6nm.jpg

• Like 6