Why become a member? ×

WISH. Elixir strings for crazy price.

vinorange

I’d never really heard of wish.com but a link took me to the website and being inquisitive I thought I’d see what was on there....a lot of trash........but in amongst the trash were brand new elixir strings for £6 plus £5 shipping. They retail at £40+ so I’ve given it a go to see what I get and when I get them......I’ll report back.

https://www.wish.com/product/elixir-nanoweb-14077-electric-bass-strings-4-strings-ultra-thin-coating-steel-stings-045-105-5b3f107867607e1ec272d74e

I'd assume fakes. Too cheap to be true, and searching for 'WeichsterSports' - the seller on Wish - only brings them up on Wish, selling a right old selection of random shite stuff.

I'd happily be proved wrong, though.

Perhaps someone from Elixir will come along and comment.

• 2 weeks later...

L

On 08/09/2018 at 14:43, Bassassin said:

Cheapo bass strings in shonky packaging.

Speaking as someone who got burned a couple of years ago - and mine weren't quite that absurdly cheap!

Ive just got these Elixir strings and as far as I can tell they’re not fake. The packaging isn’t shonky, all trademarks are on the packaging and when I’ve popped them on my status necked USA P bass they seem to sound and feel nice. 

My only issue is that I can’t A/B them as I don’t have “genuine” ones and I don’t fancy paying £45 just to test them out.......

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ped said:

Good to know. Elixir recently redesigned their packaging making it harder to counterfeit but there are still lots of old boxes about. Looks like a bargain then. So do they have different gauges?

I can only see 105 / 45.

I may have to buy some “genuine” ones to satisfy my curiosity.....

• Like 1

This isn't a proper retailer as we would normally describe one - its similar to Ali Express i.e a portal to buy mainly cheap products direct from China. Its littered with fakes and poor quality clones. 

Genuine Elixir strings are made in the USA (not China)

And i wouldn't give any of my personal payment details out to them...... 

Edited by Mudpup

On 08/09/2018 at 14:45, vinorange said:

If they are, how do they get away with it? I paid £6 plus £2 postage.

“Wish”full thinking that they’d be genuine maybe.....

because the Chinese don't give a monkeys about faking things and there's no regulation out there

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It appears that these strings have been bought in bulk by people and are being passed off as real elixir strings on eBay AND some buyers are stating they’re fakes.

I haven’t got any real elixirs yet but they must be fakes (£9 doesn’t get real ones and defo not from China) although bizarrely they were decent strings, very bright. Probably not elixirs though.

As it happens I was going to buy some real ones but ironically I now can’t decide where to get them in case they’re Chinese fakes!! “Wish” I’d never looked into them now as I’ve put myself off getting any......

29 minutes ago, vinorange said:

It appears that these strings have been bought in bulk by people and are being passed off as real elixir strings on eBay AND some buyers are stating they’re fakes.

I haven’t got any real elixirs yet but they must be fakes (£9 doesn’t get real ones and defo not from China) although bizarrely they were decent strings, very bright. Probably not elixirs though.

As it happens I was going to buy some real ones but ironically I now can’t decide where to get them in case they’re Chinese fakes!! “Wish” I’d never looked into them now as I’ve put myself off getting any......

Get them from strings direct 👍🏼 

You'll love them!

I can confirm...... 

Fake. 

Well of corse! 

I wanted some new elixirs anyway, so got a genuine set from a trusted seller... But couldn't resist a punt for £7 on wish. Both arived today but the ones from wish aren't even coated. 

I'm sure somone could make use of them tho! But I doubt I'll fit them. Postage only offers by Pm :)

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Ebay is currently full of fake Elixir strings, mainly Optiwebs.  These are being sold by private individuals rather than shops. You can see the dark blue packaging of thew fakes compared to the light blue vivid packaging of the genuine article. 

I reported this to Ebay and Elixir, neither seemingly gives a monkey's.

My wife's family are from Hong Kong and they stock up on cosmetics, baby products, etc whenever they come over here because the shops over there are so full of fakes that you can never be sure of what you're actually buying. It's now become such a big problem (babies poisoned by fake baby milk, etc) that the authorities are now beginning to take action against the counterfeiters but it's so embedded in the system that it's going to take a long time to clean up.

Edited by darkandrew

I bought my first set recently and love them. I bought them from Strings Direct because I saw so many cheapo offers on Ebay that I assumed they had to be fake. I like them better than the DR Hi Beams I usually use. I prefer the feel of the Elixirs and the sound.