Why become a member? ×

Status Graphite Neck Bitsa P

Cuzzie

Morning guys.

Doing my first bitsa P bass and I have a blank Status neck ready to drill.

I do have a Pillar Drill for the job.

Quick question for any that can help out there.

The USA body had pre-drilled Holes 5mm, and the screws I have glide through, which I am happy with.

Doing a test hole on a piece of wood the screws bite with a 4mm hole

Just about to match the holes and drill the graphite neck heel.

Do I Drill the hole at 4mm so it bites when screwing (having slightly chamfered the entry point not to split the lacquer) or does the Graphite behave differently and you use a slightly bigger hole?

This will be the finished as ever, no pics no bass

cheers!!

3B983786-B590-4124-BB02-5EE035D11C69.thumb.jpeg.c04dd3d7dec8498a991866a8d1e67a36.jpeg

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Like 3

I have no first hand experience with carbon fibre composite.

If I was to attempt this job I would consider the following:

• Drill out for bonded threaded inserts and replace the neck screws with machine screws or bolts with a suitable thread.  Make sure that the bonding agent is appropriate for the job.
  • Drill a pilot hole in the CF and tap it for a coarse threaded machine screw.

Of the two methods I would always prefer the threaded insert.  The latter method is more of a bodge.

Edited by SpondonBassed

Cheers mate.

I looked into a lot of things and the Moses Graphite necks recommend inserts, but I don’t think Status do, certainly they do not say anything in their instructions, and also I think there may be a block of wood behind the Graphite shell.

I suppose the safest would be smallest hole first (after marking it) and see what the screw does.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

I looked into a lot of things and the Moses Graphite necks recommend inserts, but I don’t think Status do, certainly they do not say anything in their instructions, and also I think there may be a block of wood behind the Graphite shell.

The core material of the neck wasn't something that I had considered much.  It could be that the Moses neck has an expanded polymer core.

In either case, I'd go with threaded inserts because I have an engineering background.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

I have installed Status necks before. You do not require inserts and you indeed use a slightly smaller drill bit than the screws. But you need to go slow and steady. I would start with 4mm but also have 4.5mm on hand. 

Let me see if I can find the original instructions for you, should have them still.

• Like 2

Thanks buddy

I have the instructions sent so that’s all good, i’ll Compare incase they are different versions

The Drill speed was the other key thing, currently I have it set fast for wood, I was thinking I needed the slower one, so I can change the belt.

I take it a wood drill bit is best also

Edited by Cuzzie

I would use a larger diameter bit to do that mate, you don’t want the 5mm to bite and widen the hole. An 8mm or special counter sink bit and just lightly take away a little material is best. Then, if the screw gets really tight do not force it. Maybe use the 5 to widen the hole, but I think you are fine with a 4.5mm.

31 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Have they a timber core at the heel then?

No, Status uses a very thick graphite bottom layer, 6-8mm thick. This provides enough stability to fix the neck, but hole diameter and counter sinking to prevent cracking is key.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

You guys probably all know this but a Fisch Forstner Wave Drill bit was an absolute revelation for a ferrule hole

3A98F049-1702-461F-BAB6-D3DBF40E4F89.thumb.jpeg.28663e539bc06326023e537004b2076d.jpegAD0CC38E-E343-4CF3-A463-16CA3293AEDF.thumb.jpeg.28507413e2391f3f3c6c86b049ce8ead.jpeg70E0401D-276A-475C-A34C-E9C557980F7E.thumb.jpeg.dc7757c6db9aeb80a5747b28d972e883.jpeg

I got one of these too.  Unbelievable difference in cutting ease and efficiency.  Over time (because they are pricey) I will be replacing all the bit sizes I use for critical jobs. :)

• Like 1

And now finished!!

079CBADB-11D6-4A54-A6C0-FF56ED8536DE.thumb.jpeg.2a18ee30076f3594032126c1fd5995e2.jpeg

So.....

USA Fender Alder Body Olympic White and High Mass Vintage Bridge made String through.

Olive White Fender pickguard 

Status Jazz Neck

Hipshot Ultralite tuners 1 Drop D

Sandberg String retainer

Seymour Duncan APB-1 active pick ups. Inside routed under pickguard for battery, but I have a battery box and will likely rout the back for this.

DR DDT strings

All that is left is to do another ground wire and shield the cavity (it’s noisy as hell).

Thanks to everyone and in particular @HazBeen for lots of advice.

Its loud and punchy as hell!!

Think I may have to do another....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1