Why become a member? ×

P Bass Bitsa

Johnny Wishbone

Following on from the recently completed “Jazz Bitsas” thread, I bring you the humble P Bass Bitsa thread. I actually bought the P Bass body before I started the Jazzes (I’m definitely more of a Jazz Bass guy) but as it required a refinish it went on the back burner. I have one good P bitsa (first photo) but wanted another to either (a) try flatwounds or (b) eventually convert to fretless. I’m determined to broaden my horizons somewhat.

I was lucky enough to find a P body on eBay that someone had started trying to sand the poly finish off and understandably given up on (evidently not au-fait with the heat gun method that most of us know about). As mentioned in the Jazz thread, the singer in my band is pretty handy with anything involving paint, so I just masked off the bits I didn’t want him to touch (neck pocket, pickup/control cavity) and set him to work. The second photo is the body as pictured in the original eBay listing.

9A59090B-8D88-40BA-BC49-DB0E2DFD4E1D.jpeg

C8C425BE-5126-458B-A20B-9E0FA1D70B45.jpeg

• Like 2

The aesthetic aim for this project is along the lines of this picture. I’m a huge fan of Soundgarden, and their bassist Ben Shepherd used to play a Jazz finished in “Charcoal Frost Metallic”, which I always though was a great colour. Having been able to find the appropriate paint code (I think it was originally a Ford colour?) I’ve had a local paint supplier mix some up. Whilst Ben’s Jazz had a white pickguard, I always thought a red tort one would suit the finish better and I think the photo backs this up.

I’m going rosewood board on this (just seems to suit the body colour better) ideally on a Jazz width neck. This has, up to now, proved quite difficult to source on a limited budget, so I may end up with a P neck profile instead. Despite being a confirmed sucker for block fret markers I’m also happy to go with dots on this build. It just seems to look ‘right’.

DAEC53C9-3A11-47B2-87AE-EECF99C7CA82.jpeg

• Like 1

I’ve received word that the body has had its final buff and will be returned to me at rehearsal next week.

I’ll be using much the same hardware as the Jazz builds. Picked up some Squier tuners and a MIM pickup from the BC Marketplace, plus a cheap tort pickguard from eBay. The pickguard isn’t great close up but for twelve quid it’s adequate.

• Like 1

The pickguard. Not the best, but certainly not the worst. No doubt some subtle filing of the pickup hole will be required - it’s always that part that doesn’t seem to quite fit properly.

Ordered the bridge (same Gotoh-a-like as the Jazz builds), string ferrules and string tree this morning. Think I’ve got everything else (pots/strap buttons etc) lying around, but no doubt there’s something I’ve forgotten.

D613411D-CBBC-4DEF-9A86-B60B50AA8780.jpeg

52 minutes ago, Christine said:

A confirmed hater of tort? :laugh1: You and me be mates! :)

But to be fair it does look good occasionally just not on my own basses :laugh1:

34 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

The only time I ever seen it look good was in the bin!! 😁 

It looks good on tortoises.  I mean, you don't really want to be looking at a nude one.

image.png.ca82e4dd53e04ee4a34e3199bc923239.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Success on the neck. eBay has come up trumps with this little number - Jazz width, rosewood board and the all important curved headstock - all for the princely sum of £32.99. Obviously delivery won’t be for a couple of weeks, but consider I was becoming resigned to paying about twice that price for a Precision-width neck, I’m pretty chuffed. These are obviously the  eBay stock pics, but I’ll update when the real thing arrives.

I’ll probably get the pots/jack wired up and mounted today, in anticipation of collecting the newly refinished body at rehearsal tonight.

70A19538-3D98-4207-B4E4-2E058A167F26.png

DBBDB101-589A-486C-9D41-0628BCEE87D1.png

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, bottomofthebarrel said:

I've bought a couple of similar chinese necks and they are pretty good, but be prepared for a little work on the fret ends. They will probably start to poke out after a few weeks. The wood may be a tad fresh. It's easily fixed though.:)

Yep, that’s to be expected. I already have a similar neck on another build and it needed half an hour with a file for sure. For £30 I think that’s probably fair!

• Like 1

Wired up ready. Purple wire is the bridge ground.

I never (possibly wrongly) bother using the ground tab on the jack as the socket is already grounded through the shielding tape. AFAIK something is either grounded or it isn’t, so as long as I have continuity (checked using a multimeter of course) across all points that are supposed to be grounded I just leave it as is. I don’t see what difference a bunch of extra wires makes.

CF823E71-8B49-4E64-A3B8-A5CA13BC88ED.jpeg

Edited by Johnny Wishbone
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after waiting several weeks the neck has finally arrived and.......it’s not as advertised. I specifically ordered this particular neck due to it having the “classic” Fender headstock profile (see first picture, taken directly from the original eBay listing) with the curved bottom edge. The neck that has arrived does not have this headstock shape - it’s the more modern Fender shape with the straight edge along the bottom (second pic).

Not impressed. Have raised a return request with the seller via eBay as this neck is exactly what I DIDN’T want. I have all the other parts ready to complete this build and the neck was all that was required - very disappointed at having waited this long only to get the wrong part. Sure, it’s only a small detail but (a) I hate this headstock shape, and (b) the decals I have are curved specifically for the other shape.

*sigh*

B185CD0C-03E9-4AE5-9BD2-5BDD8BC5170E.jpeg

05B3FE1A-7B45-4504-B972-F5CEA8A5B15C.jpeg

Edited by Johnny Wishbone
  • Sad 1

From the pix it looks like there's enough "meat" on the  wrong neck to reshape it to the shape you want.

Occasionally with Chinese shippers they would rather give a full refund without asking for the item to be returned. It may turn out that you get the neck you want with a bit of reshaping work for no money( assuming they give you a full refund) 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

From the pix it looks like there's enough "meat" on the  wrong neck to reshape it to the shape you want.

This did occur to me, but I think in actuality the curved headstock is slightly larger - it’s almost like that’s the bit that’s been cut off with the straight line. I may be able to reshape it but in all honesty I don’t think there is actually enough wood to do so satisfactorily. I really didn’t want to go to all that effort in the first place, otherwise I would have just bought a neck with a ‘paddle’ headstock and cut it myself. Woodwork isn’t really my forte if I’m honest.

Almost every low-priced rosewood neck I can find has this modern shape headstock, so I was pretty pleased when the one I thought I was getting showed up in the listings. Unfortunately it looks like they just send out whatever is to hand. As bottomofthbarrel says, eBay is always a bit of a gamble but I’m still disappointed to have come out the loser on this occasion. I’ll see what the seller has to say but I suspect I’ll just get offered a refund. Whilst that’s better than a kick in the teeth it does rather leave the build at a bit of an impasse. The only other suitable necks I’ve seen are around £150 minimum, which is easily more than the rest of the bass put together. Admittedly it’s not an unreasonable price, but certainly more than I’d want to spend, especially when you consider this one was £32.

Having had problems with purchases from the Far East before, I suspect I’ll probably end up with a refund and not having to return the offending neck. That at least means I’m not left out of pocket and will also likely be able to sell the neck on to someone with less discriminating tastes. My best option long-term may well be to wait and see if something suitable comes up in the BC marketplace, but that could take months.

6 hours ago, Johnny Wishbone said:

Having had problems with purchases from the Far East before, I suspect I’ll probably end up with a refund and not having to return the offending neck. That at least means I’m not left out of pocket and will also likely be able to sell the neck on to someone with less discriminating tastes. My best option long-term may well be to wait and see if something suitable comes up in the BC marketplace, but that could take months.

If you end up keeping the neck, you have the option of going ahead with the wrong neck and the intention of replacing it down the line.  It's hateful for a project to be held up in this way.  My sympathy.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

If you end up keeping the neck, you have the option of going ahead with the wrong neck and the intention of replacing it down the line.  It's hateful for a project to be held up in this way.  My sympathy.

True enough. That certainly seems to be the path of least resistance, so to speak.

• Like 2

Update: the seller has offered a partial refund if I wish to keep the neck. How partial has yet to be determined, but this seems an agreeable outcome until a replacement can be sourced.

Nothing on eBay or Amazon as yet (not for under £100 anyway) but I suppose I can at least have a playable bass in the interim.

• Like 2