Why become a member? ×

Flip flop paint

Clarky72

Ahhhh yes! Chameleon Flip-Paint has been my 'signature' if you wanna call it that for years now and yes Jon Shuker did the flip finishes on my 6 and 7 string (Shuker) basses. I can also recommend the chap who did my Dingwall and Fender Jazz Bass Special as seen on the front page of his website.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Musical-Instrument-Store/Musical-Instrument-Rehab-167262633338121/

Musical Instrument Rehab based here in Norwich. He comes highly regarded.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
5 hours ago, Jakester said:

I hadn't seen those flip finishes of Dood's before - may I just say "phwoar"? Love those (though they do slightly remind me of the old Nissan Primera saloons that had limited ed flip paint..

Thank you so much! Flip Paint is definitely my thing!! I've basses here just waiting to get the treatment! (Maybe not the 76 precision though ha ha!) - Yes most people refer to TVR cars when they see my flip paint basses. Absolutely lovely! 

7 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I would guess that most body shops could spray it for you if you did the basic prep first.

The only downside is the treatment as some flip paints don't like going on a surface such as wood rather than that of solid metal surfaces. One of my basses (whose finish is over ten years old) is a little brittle as it was the best paint available at the time. The new mixtures are much better. 

4 hours ago, Dood said:

OOOPH!!

fender-fsr-japanese-stratocaster-flip-fl

Well that's my Start fetish sorted then!!

It was even prettier in person (well, they also did a green / orange one, but I could live without that), but that one, not just the front, the back. But for me, that fingerboard - there aren't enough painted fingerboards in the world.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Digging this back up, I have an interest in getting a bongo done as a flip flop colour, so I asked someone local and for a complete head to toe flip flop of the coloured parts (not the fingerboard as above!) its £450. I was wondering if that would seem like a normal ballpark figure for these sort of things.

Currently wondering if it is worth it for me!

£450 seems about right,  depending upon exactly what you're asking them to do;

If they're dismantling, keying the original finish, filling any imperfections, masking, spraying multiple coats, rubbing back, reapplying decals,  lacquering, and reassembling/ setting up once dried..

That's a lot of labour. 

If you handed them a body bereft of hardware and a tuner-less neck with its truss rod slackened,  I'd be tempted to negotiate a lower price.  Similarly so if you're able to rebuild it post re-fin.

Edit- Bongo is a great choice for "fancy" finishes.  All those curves and bevels will catch the light nicely. 

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

Flip paint needs to be applied in a single spraying in order for it to flip in the same way which is probably a significant factor in the cost.

Also this means that it isn't possible to retouch any damage at a later date, as there was no guarantee that the new finish would flip the same way as the original. This is why my Gus was resprayed in a different colour. Had it been possible to do a repair to the existing finish I would have gone for that option, but as it had to be refinished from scratch whatever colour I chose I decided that I'd prefer CAR.