Why become a member? ×

Intonation and bridge adjustment for the clueless. Help needed :)

White Zombie

I have a Modulus Quantum 4, which is my favourite bass ever and will never be sold lol

Anyway, I put a new strings on it recently and after doing so the action is now far too low with a bit of fret buzz and when playing harmonics I'm just getting the sound of the string on the fret. So I thought I'd get the allen keys out and lift the saddles. Now, lovely sounding harmonics with slightly higher action, however, my intonation is on it's derrière.

Problem is I have no idea how to adjust the intonation, having never done it ever. And looking at the bridge have no idea what screws correspond to what.

So could some kind soul take pity on my stupidy and tell my by looking at the pictures of the bridge what I should be turning

The bridge is Modulus branded although I believe it's a rebranded late 80s or early 90s Gotoh bridge. Would love to replace it with a black version to match everything else but they seem to be rare as fu*k and quite expensive when they turn up.

IMG-4017.JPG

IMG-4019.JPG

IMG-4020.JPG

Your bridge is a Gotoh 206, aka Pro.

1288172412_Gotoh206.jpg.87791e7073ea72359af2b1ccbd5eec87.jpg

To adjust the intonation or your string height, slightly loosen the screw #9, then screw or unscrew the screw #7 just as explained in the video above and finally when everything is fine tighten back the screw #9, but don't force as you'll break the saddle (it's a known issue with bridge).

• Like 1

If the strings became too low after changing strings... the first thing I would have done is tweak the truss rod a bit, just a quarter turn anticlockwise, and see how it goes, leaving the bridge alone: the new strings don't seem to be pulling the neck as hard as the old ones, so the neck does not have enough relief.

I would not mess with the bridge until the relief is sorted. 

• Like 1