Why become a member? ×

Custom dimensions - gig bag or foam case?

CameronJ

I’m in the process of ordering a Wingbass - a custom super short scale bass tuned an octave up from bass pitch. Usually, Wing basses are shipped with a bespoke fitted soft case, but as I’m opting for an extended scale the usual included case will be too short.

As a workaround I’ve looked into Tenor ukulele cases, mandolin cases and mini-Strat cases as well as normal electric guitar cases which are too long, and headless guitar (Steinberger-type) cases which are too narrow in the body due to the upper horn of the Wingbass. It seems like I’ve exhausted every avenue and nothing quite works.

So, as the title suggests, I’m looking for someone who can make me a high quality padded gig bag or semi rigid foam case to fit. I’m deliberately avoiding the flight case route as that will defeat the purpose of having a such a portable instrument made.

Any suggestions will be most appreciated! Pictures below to give you an idea of the shape of the bass:

E5DFA90F-3D6F-446F-9BBD-771D6FC9189D.thumb.jpeg.c1e7b0f5fb05d7a038348ccdb1a4c082.jpeg

1 minute ago, TheGreek said:

I have a 70cmx30cmx10cm effects case which looks like it would fit the bill. I bought it from eBay - wasn't too expensive IIRC.

Ah, this might be worth looking into. The final dimensions of the bass should be 65cm x 32.5cm x 6.5cm so your case is very nearly perfect.

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I also have an unused gig bag material pedal bag - 62x35x10cm - if you're interested.

Ah, that might do the trick actually - pics perchance?

EDIT: I’ve just realised it’s too short...

Edited by CameronJ

You could cut a custom shaped foam insert for a pedalboard bag so it fills the whole thing and adds protection. Could be pretty cool. 

An option I looked into (mine has a gigbag but I toyed with the idea) would be a ‘light’ flight case. They’re a bit like aluminium briefcases with specially cut inners. Here’s one I looked at:

http://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk/type/index.asp?section=lightweight-spiderlite-semi-flight-cases-7818