Why become a member? ×

Favourite basses and back pain.

fretmeister

I went to the lady Katariina Larisuo (https://mikkihouse.fi/en/) who makes straps. We talked a bit, as I wanted two very comfortable straps. So, she suggested that between the 3" wide leather and a cotton fabric she would put felt. The combination is super comfy. Three hours of playing, no pain, no more. It is true that i also use relatively lightweight instruments most of the time.

I feel you. I have sold probably the best bass I have ever had if not one of the best MTD's out there because of the weight. (Norm Stockton Saratoga) I have  left shoulder issues since I was a teenager and that little mass made all the difference. My Lakland 55-94 which is 3.8kgs on my bathroom scale can sit on my shoulder all day with no issues, while the MTD which was 4.4kgs, after 5-6 songs feels like a sack of rocks dangling. As much as I love the neck and the tone, I had to let it go for my shoulder's sake.

• Like 1

Read this thread with interest as I’ve been entering the glum back pain club lately :( I’m wondering if anyone can recommend a light 5 string, ideally below 8.5lbs and 18-19mm string spacing-equally I’m intrigued by short scales...does a 5 shortie exist? 

I’d get a Hohner cricket bat, or similar,  if I could locate a strap balancing hook like on the Steinberger Synapse- they just don’t sit right for me on the usual strap knobs. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Raslee said:

Read this thread with interest as I’ve been entering the glum back pain club lately :( I’m wondering if anyone can recommend a light 5 string, ideally below 8.5lbs and 18-19mm string spacing-equally I’m intrigued by short scales...does a 5 shortie exist? 

I’d get a Hohner cricket bat, or similar,  if I could locate a strap balancing hook like on the Steinberger Synapse- they just don’t sit right for me on the usual strap knobs. 

You may have to get one made for you.  ACG have turned out a few s/s ERDs but not sure about the weight.  My 34" scale ACG 4s weight around 3.6 to 3.8kgs so I can't see why a seriously lightweight 5er isn't a goer.  Alan has some particularly lightweight bodies he has been making.  I'd have to go and look at the site though as i can't remember.

I also have a Sandberg VS at 3.4kgs.

On 12/09/2018 at 20:26, Raslee said:

I sold my Hohner because I couldn’t get on with the standard position using the strap knobs. Shame as I really liked it apart from that. I’m now Musicman free for the first time in 30 years because I just can’t handle anything over around 8 lbs. The new ones do sound promising on the thread on here about them though, so I live in hope. Wide straps do help, but even they can only do so much, after that it’s purely down to using the lightest bass I like. Currently use Fender P-Lytes, my main one being a tad over 7 lbs and makes two hour gigs quite manageable. My Dano Longhorn is probably nearer 6 lbs and an absolute joy, but not as versatile as my Fenders unfortunately. 

For all you guys wanting a lightweight bass you really need to keep a look out for Sandberg.

They have a prototype bass made from Cedar wood and the whole bass comes in at under 3kg which is hovering around 6Lbs.

You get Sandberg quality, their new black label pick ups which are more punchy and have more output, the neck is European Maple instead of Canadian which is lighter and a bit softer. Aluminium hardware.

We all know Sandberg is massive quality and this bass absolutely slays, punch and sustain for days, really snappy sound.

Aside from inside knowledge the only thing out there is in this video where it comes in at 20mins.

https://ru-clip.net/video/9DZ4UNwWlS4/bass-talk-05-holger-stonjek-from-sandberg-at-tgu18.html

it is a massive revelation.

On 12/09/2018 at 19:26, Raslee said:

A few years ago I had to look for lightweight basses after an occasional acute back issue became a chronic one and had to sell off some favourites.  Particularly sad to see the back of a Washburn Scavenger that was in museum condition.  I loved that bass - loved the fat bottomed double cutaway symmetry of it - but it weighed nearly 11lbs.  Since then I have moved over to 5 string - the problem then being basses that are light enough, despite the extra wood on the neck and hardware, and that I like.  For me, and my back problem, a wider strap helps but is not the answer.

Not short scales but I now have four 5 string basses that are 8lbs or under and comfy enough to wear for a couple of hours at a time.  I still ache next day but nowhere near as much :)

Maruszczyk Jake 5 - you can specify what you want - mine was chambered basswood with lightweight hardware, single Delano pup, passive.  No QC issues with mine, it is fabulous.

Musicman Sterling 5 modded to passive with the same pickup as the above - having all the original electrics removed lightened the load considerably.  Although, to be fair, it started off as an unusually lightweight one in the first place

Yamaha BX-5 - I love this.  It does the Hohner B2V small body/headless vibe but with an upper horn so it sits better on the strap.  And smashes the Hohner out of the park in terms of quality.

Fender MB-5 - the 'forgotten Fender'?  MIJ, basically a different shaped Jazz.  The lightest full body of the bunch at just 7lbs.

6 minutes ago, Paul S said:

A few years ago I had to look for lightweight basses after an occasional acute back issue became a chronic one and had to sell off some favourites.  Particularly sad to see the back of a Washburn Scavenger that was in museum condition.  I loved that bass - loved the fat bottomed double cutaway symmetry of it - but it weighed nearly 11lbs.  Since then I have moved over to 5 string - the problem then being basses that are light enough, despite the extra wood on the neck and hardware, and that I like.  For me, and my back problem, a wider strap helps but is not the answer.

Not short scales but I now have four 5 string basses that are 8lbs or under and comfy enough to wear for a couple of hours at a time.  I still ache next day but nowhere near as much :)

Maruszczyk Jake 5 - you can specify what you want - mine was chambered basswood with lightweight hardware, single Delano pup, passive.  No QC issues with mine, it is fabulous.

Musicman Sterling 5 modded to passive with the same pickup as the above - having all the original electrics removed lightened the load considerably.  Although, to be fair, it started off as an unusually lightweight one in the first place

Yamaha BX-5 - I love this.  It does the Hohner B2V small body/headless vibe but with an upper horn so it sits better on the strap.  And smashes the Hohner out of the park in terms of quality.

Fender MB-5 - the 'forgotten Fender'?  MIJ, basically a different shaped Jazz.  The lightest full body of the bunch at just 7lbs.

Would love to see a pic of the Maruszczyk Jake 5, and especially the Yamaha BX-5 (never heard of these). Currently i am thinking cricket bat and sourcing some bespoke metal worker to make me a hook similar to the Steinberg Synapse. That said I have become used to having good low B's (aka Laklands and my current 34" scale Cort Custom GB5 which i adore but is just too heavy after 90 mins), and i recall the low B not being particularly great on the cricket bat i owned many moons ago. Not tried a Maruszczyk yet and only hear good things of them, Sandbergs too. In all fairness the gigs where i need a 5 are few and far between so perhaps after a bit of a workout and shaping up a bit i may be able to handle the Cort better...in other words I think the ever increasing beer belly is probably taking more toll on my back than my basses at present 😂😂😂

I have 2 Hohners and know what you mean, but have you seen the new strap from Gruv Gear designed by Dave Ellefson?

you can alter the length at both the front end and back end of the strap so that may be good enough to get your placement right.

Maybe the Hohner D2ADB with it’s drop D lever May getbyou through when you are needing a little below an E?

Also I cannot sing loudly enough about that Sandberg, that bass is pretty much 6lbs.

Edited by Cuzzie

5 minutes ago, Raslee said:

Would love to see a pic of the Maruszczyk Jake 5, and especially the Yamaha BX-5 (never heard of these). Currently i am thinking cricket bat and sourcing some bespoke metal worker to make me a hook similar to the Steinberg Synapse. That said I have become used to having good low B's (aka Laklands and my current 34" scale Cort Custom GB5 which i adore but is just too heavy after 90 mins), and i recall the low B not being particularly great on the cricket bat i owned many moons ago. Not tried a Maruszczyk yet and only hear good things of them, Sandbergs too. In all fairness the gigs where i need a 5 are few and far between so perhaps after a bit of a workout and shaping up a bit i may be able to handle the Cort better...in other words I think the ever increasing beer belly is probably taking more toll on my back than my basses at present 😂😂😂

Here's the Jake.  I don't seem to have taken a picture of the Yamaha BX-5 but is is exatly like this one, nicked off t'net.0110_3.jpg

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Here's the Jake.  I don't seem to have taken a picture of the Yamaha BX-5 but is is exatly like this one, nicked off t'net.0110_3.jpg

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

Both stunning....but you simply have to sell me that Yamaha right away 😂, that is perfection right there!...oh no GAS fertilisation in progress.

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

For all you guys wanting a lightweight bass you really need to keep a look out for Sandberg.

They have a prototype bass made from Cedar wood and the whole bass comes in at under 3kg which is hovering around 6Lbs.

You get Sandberg quality, their new black label pick ups which are more punchy and have more output, the neck is European Maple instead of Canadian which is lighter and a bit softer. Aluminium hardware.

We all know Sandberg is massive quality and this bass absolutely slays, punch and sustain for days, really snappy sound.

Aside from inside knowledge the only thing out there is in this video where it comes in at 20mins.

https://ru-clip.net/video/9DZ4UNwWlS4/bass-talk-05-holger-stonjek-from-sandberg-at-tgu18.html

it is a massive revelation.

Hey that could be a good shout and we all know what quality basses Sandbergs make.

One concern from me is how hard wearing cedar is? 

Warwick make some of their cheaper Rockbasses from 'Carolena' which is a posh word for 'pine'! It's a 'soft wood' both in terminology and also strength and dings like a bat.

I'm guessing cedar will be a significantly better than pine in this regard (I'm no expert), but it's a point to watch out for: woods are lighter due to lower (wood fibre) density and the trade-off is that they can be a lot less hard wearing.

Edited by Al Krow

I still can't believe my luck with the BX-5.  A couple of months back Alyctes flagged it up on the forum after seeing it on eBay and when I read his post then followed the link, after a few minutes hesitation, I bought it - BIN was extremely cheap.  It was only when it arrived and I played it that I realised exactly how cheap.  I'd seen the 4 string version a few times but never the 5er.

2 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I still can't believe my luck with the BX-5.  A couple of months back Alyctes flagged it up on the forum after seeing it on eBay and when I read his post then followed the link, after a few minutes hesitation, I bought it - BIN was extremely cheap.  It was only when it arrived and I played it that I realised exactly how cheap.  I'd seen the 4 string version a few times but never the 5er.

Well...if you get the urge...you know where I am 😘

@Al Krow Cedar as we know has various different types but is used from all kinds of things varying from furniture through to garage, garden fence decking and even ship building.

You would figure that it’s got to be pretty good to be used for that.

Softwood/hardwood yep it’s all about grain etc. Balsar is a hardwood, but brittle as fcuk.

Cedar seems to fall into category 2 for the main, so I reckon it’s not too bad.

1900-timber-durability-chart.jpg

and as one fo your threads says, Warwick quality has not always been top drawer so wouldnt trust their choices!

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Thanks 1