Why become a member? ×

Favourite basses and back pain.

fretmeister

I have had a surprisingly pain free summer period. Apart from the last 10 days or so.

I couldn't work out why for the life of me. I hadn't changed anything I was doing. Then it dawned on me. I have been playing my much modified Stingray 5 (only about 8.7lb) but for the last 2 weeks I've been playing my Marleaux exclusively.

It is still quite light for a 5 - it's 9lb.

But it seems that the half pound difference is all it needs to go from being comfortable to needing a load of ibuprofen.

I love that bass. It is my favourite. I got it used in a trade but if I was ordering a new one there is nothing I would change.

But I may have to give serious thought about moving it on, simply because it appears to be too painful to use - standing at least.

I have no fear about modifying basses - but it doesn't have a scratch plate so there is no opportunity for weight reliving routing under one and it already had lightweight tuners etc. There's really nothing that I could do.

I'll have to give it some proper thought - and perhaps don't play it for a week or 2 to see if the pain goes again to make sure that bass is the cause.

Not many 8.5 lb five strings out there, and I can't afford a Lull!

AARRGGGGHHH

I feel like ergonomics are likely to be a much bigger influence than 0.3lb of mass (which is about the same weight as a smartphone). Your posture, the tension in your left arm/wrist/hand, the way it hangs on the strap are all things that could be affected by the switch from one instrument to another.

S.P.

Edited by Stylon Pilson
  • Like 1

Actually there are. I too suffer the pains of aging bones, shoulders in my case. Initially I bought the Spector Spectorcore 5 which is partly hollow and about 8lb then I got the Gibson EB5 (2013j which is a remarkably light 7.7lb. I gather the 2017/18 version is also similarly lightweight. Of course in a bit more expensive category Maruszczyk does a light version with internal chambers which would also fil the bill, Elwood L. 

In the end health and welfare is paramount if we are to continue to play and not too would be the end of life as we know it!

• Like 1

For me it's also more a case of ergonomics than weight (though everyone is obviously different). I have 2 knackered disks which really play me up if I'm in a leaning off centre position for any length of time. No problem humping bags of shopping around, but I've actually put my back out reaching forward to pick up a cup of tea. 

For me short scale basses seem to do the trick. A lot less stretching and leaning means they're a lot more comfortable to play. My current Gretsch Junior Jet and short scale semi hollow are probably the most comfortable things I've ever played. 

My old Warwick used to give me chronic back ache. 

I had forgotten about Maruszczyk - I see there's a couple of bright white lightweight ones as Bass Direct at the moment.

I might need a trip to try them before I think about selling the Marleaux.

The model I have is new at about £3000 so I'd hope to raise enough for a sensible replacement buy.

11 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

And I just found this.

30 inch scale Spector Bantam 4

http://www.spectorbass.com/Bantam4

Weight at about 7 lb!

If I have to move back to a 4, that would seem something worth trying.

Might be worth seeing if you can borrow a shorty or try one out in a music shop to get the feel for it first. I'm sure they're not for everyone but now I'd take a short scale over a full length any day. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Might have to try one. I assume it will have to be a 4 string as a Low B wouldn't be worth having at 30 inches?

You’d be surprised at the girth and playability of a low B at 30” scale. If the instrument has been built well, it’s not an issue!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, naxos10 said:

ACG can do you a short scale 5 string.

Alan can build you anything you want to the specs you want.

He is not alone in this. Check the build threads to see how lightweight Andyjr1515 has been building basses to. A friend who tried my Psilos bass couldn't believe the weight difference between that and my Overwater jazz which isn't heavy by any stretch... A chambered body may be the way forward for you.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, fretmeister said:

And I just found this.

Weight at about 7 lb!

I use a Spector Shorty as my main bass - the Bantam is very similar if a little more rounded. The basses are light but probably around 8.5lbs (not super light). I’ve been struggling with back pain for the past two years - the Spector has not essed this. I’ve been working hard to get around the problem in the last three months as I’ve been playing more intensively and sitting hasn’t been an option. There’s been a lot of experimentation. Ia lot depends on the source of the pain but three things have helped me:

1. longer (comfort strapp) length - I’ve shifted from a very high position to something considerably lower - over tummy rather than lower chest 

2. avoidance of schaller locks - I noticed that these shift the centre of gravity of the bass slightly and tip the top bout forward a little. They also invite me to hold the bass in place rather than just let it ‘sit’. Just the strap with Fender strap blocks makes a significant difference in positioning the bass more comfortably and keeping it there

3. Replacing cable with wireless - after 40 years, I’ve realised that I twist very slightly to avoid tangling or tripping on cables - with a wireless (transmitter in back pocket), my posture is more upright

of course, all this is individual but it’s providing some relief for me. I play short scale most of the time but I don’t think it makes much difference in terms of discomfort. An Overwater PJ feels just as good with the adaptations listed sbove. Good luck - I can empathise!

On 07/09/2018 at 11:49, Stylon Pilson said:

I feel like ergonomics are likely to be a much bigger influence than 0.3lb of mass (which is about the same weight as a smartphone). Your posture, the tension in your left arm/wrist/hand, the way it hangs on the strap are all things that could be affected by the switch from one instrument to another.

S.P.

Depends what’s wrong with his back. I have several prolapsed discs, scoliosis and spinal stenosis and half a pound in weight makes all the difference in the world to me.

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 12:14, fretmeister said:

And I just found this.

Weight at about 7 lb!

At the minute I exclusively use Shorties for gigs (Glam Rock outfit - plenty of movement required for a man of my advancing years), a pair of Mustangs, both around the 8lb mark.  Some compromises (I prefer the sound and string tension of my Rays) but they get the job done and I finish the gigs pain free. 

I agree, it's probably not only weight that's an issue - I'm sure it's partly ergonomics too
But I'd also say, take a look at the strap your bass is wearing. (which is also part of the ergonomics).

I've been guilty in the past, of saving costs and buying cheap-ish straps. But a while back, I put a decent, soft leather, wide (but not too wide) strap on one bass, and standing up playing the bass for a long time just became that bit easier. So much so, that I bought an identical strap to fit onto another relatively heavy bass.

Of course, what some people find "comfortable" might differ to others. I found I prefer a fairly wide, but not too wide strap, and for me, it needs to be very soft leather, with no annoying stitching right near the edge...

Edited by Marc S

German-built genuine Hofners are about 6lbs. Just saying.

Mind you, for that money you could buy a Lull anyway ...

@fretmeister  If you're anywhere near Harrow, you're welcome to come and spend a day trying my selection of medium-weight, light-weight, and uber-light-weight basses. Plus both my boat anchors.

6 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

German-built genuine Hofners are about 6lbs. Just saying.

Mind you, for that money you could buy a Lull anyway ...

@fretmeister  If you're anywhere near Harrow, you're welcome to come and spend a day trying my selection of medium-weight, light-weight, and uber-light-weight basses. Plus both my boat anchors.

That’s very kind.

Im in the midlands but I travel a bit. If something comes up close I’ll let you know. 

This could easily be a weight issue.

I screwed my lower back 15 years ago after 10 years of lifting very heavy Mesa Boogie cabs, about 90lbs each. Now, any bass over 9 1/2 lbs is too heavy. On a good day 9 1/2lbs is my maximum for a 2 hr gig, but way too heavy for a 4 hr rehearsal. So far my experience is that less than 9lbs is OK. 

When I'm feeling good I can use my Sadowsky but otherwise it has to be the 8 1/2lb Lull P.

So depending on the problem even something as small as 1/2lb can be make or break for a damaged back.

The serious bit: If you get a lower back problem you'll discover, if you are very lucky, it can stabilise. These injuries rarely go away completely and the usual course is that it will gradually get worse over time. The time to be looking after your back is before you have a problem.

• Like 1

Ive got good straps - Neotech Mega bass straps. Very comfy and far better than anything else I’ve had.

The back pain is muscular and is due to excessive work needed by those muscles as I’ve had 4 inguinal hernias over the last 2.5 years leaving the front core muscles weak. The back is compensating for it. 

I’ve also got bilateral adductor tendinopathy to add to the imbalance and pain levels.