Why become a member? ×

Scam warning

Hi everyone

Just a heads up with regards to a recent scam that I have sadly experienced on Basschat. I put up a wanted request for a Mesa Boogie M6 and was offered one by a chap called Victor or (Gearlumth)

This chap contacted me and supplied a picture and detailed a description, we agreed a price for and I payed via PayPal. When I received notification of payment the icon had chinese writing on it which seemed odd. 3-4 days later after chasing I was told that the amp would be shipped and that it would take 5-6 days to arrive. Later that week I re contacted him to check it was being shipped and received an e-mail stating that he was angry with me and what was the rush. He also stated that it was Salah and that I should have known that. I responded in an appropriate manner as you can imagine. Several days later he said it would be shipped and that 3 days after I would receive shipping info. When he confirmed it had been shipped I requested the info stating that this is supplied either when its posted at the Post Office or booked with a courier. I contacted PayPal and raised my concerns. They agreed it was suspect and asked that wait 10 days to see if the item arrived. I was then contacted by a chinese lady who thanks me for my patience and gave me a tracking number. This was 2.6kg and was travelling from China to Nigeria and was clearly a scam at this stage. They had sent PayPal a fictitious screen shot that said I had requested to send the amp to Nigeria! This had then been signed for and the excuses that I had received were clearly delaying tactics to have a signed delivery confirmation that would allow payment to be completed. 

This has taken several weeks to resolve but fortunately I have received all of my money back, but please be aware of this thief and his activity as I had another add up for a wanted Mesa cab which he then also offered me during this nonsense.

This is clearly a great site with dedicated and honest people on board but sadly some people are out to rob and scam us so beware :(

Contact info used by the scammers:

Victor
Gear Lumth
[email protected]
[email protected]

All the best

Mike

Hi Mike

We’ve put an announcement in the wanted forum about this. 

This member has been banned several times now, they always sign up with a username containing the word ‘gear’ and then PM tons of people in the wanted forum. 

I’ve recently found a way to nip it in the bud so he can no longer do this but it’s still worth warning people. And also glad to hear you didn’t use ‘friends and family’ payment (I assume). 

Sorry to hear about it and glad it worked out ok in the end. Can you tell me what date you originally made contact and any details regarding addresses or phone numbers please?

Cheers

ped

• Like 1

He’s probably the same guy who contacted me a while ago.

I’m always wary of people responding to my wanted adverts. I usually check to see how long they’ve been members for and their interaction with the site. Scammers seem to tend to be new members.

• Like 1

On 07/09/2018 at 12:44, ambient said:

He’s probably the same guy who contacted me a while ago.

I’m always wary of people responding to my wanted adverts. I usually check to see how long they’ve been members for and their interaction with the site. Scammers seem to tend to be new members.

It's taught me a lesson for sure :)